Front end clunk/pop - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 293, Level: 5 Points: 293, Level: 5 Points: 293, Level: 5
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Front end clunk/pop

I just got a rocky road 2.25" lift installed and after getting it back it now makes a popping or clunking noise over large bumps. I looked under the car and it looks like there are new scratches on the front right strut assembly and the only difference I can see between the left and right side is that the sway bar end link on the right side isn't flush with the end link. Since the bolt on the right side is longer, and sits close to the strut I thought that could be what is making the noise and causing the scratches. I have no time to take it in anywhere before I have to drive 8 hours tomorrow so I was wondering if there was anyway of possibly fixing this at home? I'd post pictures but I don't think I'm allowed yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 170,000
Garage
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. Try to reply to more threads so that you can post a pic of it though.

After a spacer lift on my TJ, the sway bar shifted and a bolt would hit a frame section. Did it for years. It was a wrangler, I just dealt w the clunk. Eventually it wore a spot in that frame section. Hopefully someone here has an answer for you.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
I had this on my '06. More times than not, it's the sway bar. You could disconnect it then drive around and see if it fixes the prob. New bushings might be needed.

I drove around without mine for a couple of years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)

Last edited by Bobula; 06-27-2017 at 10:50 AM.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycommander View Post
I just got a rocky road 2.25" lift installed and after getting it back it now makes a popping or clunking noise over large bumps. I looked under the car and it looks like there are new scratches on the front right strut assembly and the only difference I can see between the left and right side is that the sway bar end link on the right side isn't flush with the end link. Since the bolt on the right side is longer, and sits close to the strut I thought that could be what is making the noise and causing the scratches. I have no time to take it in anywhere before I have to drive 8 hours tomorrow so I was wondering if there was anyway of possibly fixing this at home? I'd post pictures but I don't think I'm allowed yet
Read this thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/53-suspension-lifts/10294-rough-country-clunk.html .

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobula View Post
I had this on my '06. More times than not, it's the sway bar. You could disconnect it then drive around and see if it fixes the prob. New bushings might be needed.

I drove around without mine for a couple of years.

Mine was clunking pretty bad before I lifted it and I put new sway bar bushings on and didn't have a problem after that. This seems to be a much louder noise. Almost popping instead of clunking. It's really bothering me though and I don't know what to do. Already spent more than I'd like to on the lift/tires and repairs lol. Still not sure why the front end sits higher
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Mine was clunking pretty bad before I lifted it and I put new sway bar bushings on and didn't have a problem after that. This seems to be a much louder noise. Almost popping instead of clunking. It's really bothering me though and I don't know what to do. Already spent more than I'd like to on the lift/tires and repairs lol. Still not sure why the front end sits higher
Pics would be helpful;

I believe the RR lift - like the RC lift is designed to be a leveling lift, which means it's designed to raise the front end more than the rear and level out your Commander to get rid of the factory, nose down stance.

I'm guessing your Commander is probably sitting level now - but because you aren't used to seeing it that way, you think the nose is sitting high - because it is sitting much higher now than you are accustomed to seeing.

I can tell you straight away to get your front upper differential bushing checked.

This is a known and common point of wear on both Commanders and Grand Cherokees alike and can cause the kind of clunking noise you are describing.

If your front upper differential bushing was already worn and you were hearing noise - the new sway bar bushings may have been just enough to temporarily band-aid the problem, while you still had the stock suspension/stance.

When you added the new RR lift into the equation, it was probably enough of a suspension stress/geometry change to get the front upper differential bushing to start making noise again.

I'm just speculating here, but, it sounds plausible to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-16-2017 at 08:00 PM.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Quote:
Pics would be helpful;

I believe the RR lift - like the RC lift is designed to be a leveling lift, which means it's designed to raise the front end more than the rear and level out your Commander to get rid of the factory, nose down stance.

I'm guessing your Commander is probably sitting level now - but because you aren't used to seeing it that way, you think the nose is sitting high - because it is sitting much higher now than you are accustomed to seeing.

I can tell you straight away to get your front upper differential bushing checked.

This is a known and common point of wear on both Commanders and Grand Cherokees alike and can cause the kind of clunking noise you are describing.

If your front upper differential bushing was already worn and you were hearing noise - the new sway bar bushings may have been just enough to temporarily band-aid the problem, while you still had the stock suspension/stance.

When you added the new RR lift into the equation, it was probably enough of a suspension stress/geometry change to get the front upper differential bushing to start making noise again.

I'm just speculating here, but, it sounds plausible to me.

If you're referring to the front axle bushings I just got those replaced.

These are the struts that the mechanic replaced when I needed new struts about a year ago. Im not sure if those could affect the way it sits.

http://m.autozone.com/suspension-ste...8474?location=

The front right upper control arm seems to be pushing grease out of both the top and bottom of the boot but the mechanic told me this was normal. I'm about to lose my mind over this. It's been one thing after another
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, I don't think I can post pictures yet but measured the front and rear from several different places and it looks like the front is sitting 1.5" higher than the rear
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Also, I don't think I can post pictures yet but measured the front and rear from several different places and it looks like the front is sitting 1.5" higher than the rear

If you're referring to the front axle bushings I just got those replaced.
You can post pics once you hit 5 posts - which you have.

If you measured your stance, and the front is sitting 1.5 inches higher than the rear, then something was not done properly - maybe or a wrong part - possibly the wrong sized spacer was used.

If the correct parts were used and the work was done properly, you would be sitting level, or very close to it, period.

I'd take your XK back to whoever did the work and say "WTF??"

I'm not referring to the front axle bushings - I am referring to exactly what I told you - the front upper differential bushing.

The front upper differential bushing and front axle bushings are 2 different bushings.

I suggest you get it checked.

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159_1500293170970.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	488.9 KB
ID:	25698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2166_1500293283672.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	25706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167_1500293319564.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	25714  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in