Options for front strut replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 112000
Options for front strut replacement

I have some clunking and squeeking in front end on bumps that I think may be related to my struts. Everything else in front end looks good. My 06 XK Limited has 113xxx miles on it and the struts look like they might be original from factory. I am going to take it to a local shop for an assessment and may use them to do and repairs. Depends on what they say and cost.
- How long should I expect struts to last? (My XK has never been off road)
- Do not want any lift - this is a street Jeep. Any recommended brand struts? Any brand to avoid?

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 99,000
Garage
Arrow W or w/o

You can get struts with or without springs, the cost may be more until you factor in the r&r on your old spring to the new shock as opposed to just removing the assy. and installing the new one.

Swanny
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I have some clunking and squeeking in front end on bumps that I think may be related to my struts. Everything else in front end looks good. My 06 XK Limited has 113xxx miles on it and the struts look like they might be original from factory. I am going to take it to a local shop for an assessment and may use them to do and repairs. Depends on what they say and cost.
- How long should I expect struts to last? (My XK has never been off road)
- Do not want any lift - this is a street Jeep. Any recommended brand struts? Any brand to avoid?
You probably do not need springs, as springs will typically outlast a vehicle that has not been used off-road - or used for towing very much;

So, this is a popular choice among Commander owners;

Bilstein B6 4600 front shock absorbers (Part # 24-186797)

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

They are very good shock absorbers and these Bilstein 4600's up front coupled with my JBA upper control arms have done an excellent job in handling the extra weight from my WAM custom steel front bumper & Smittybuilt 9500 winch.

Now that being said, I'll say this - clunking and squeaking are not typically symptoms of faulty or worn front shock absorbers, however with 116,000 miles on the factory originals, it certainly won't hurt to replace them.

Clunking and squeaking is typically caused by worn front upper differential bushings or worn CV joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-25-2017 at 05:35 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Clunking and squeaking is typically caused by worn front upper differential bushings or worn CV joints.
I know it is not the upper diff bushing - already checked for that. Bad CV joints are a possibility and that is on my list of stuff to check on when I have someone look at my front end. All boots are OK with no leakage. The only visible item I can see is that one of the bushings on my left lower arm looks like it may be cracked and starting to squeeze out.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

4WD
Current Mileage: 133,000
I'm sure the shocks are completely shot at that many miles - and I'm also of the opinion that springs are a maintenance item. They're one of the only parts on a vehicle that is in use 100% of the time, whether the vehicle is moving or not - and they do wear out even without off road or towing.

That said, an option for you to keep near-factory height is to purchase Monroe strut assemblies. They're all one unit, they typically don't lift the vehicle (though it will be higher as the entire Commander has sagged over time), and you or your mechanic don't have to remove the lower clevis bolt to install them. You'll spend about $300 for the set for the front; here's a link to the original ride height model: Monroe Strut Assembly

A set of Monroe's in the rear would be a good idea too. Having well-controlled front wheels with bouncing rear wheels is not a good plan.

My 2 cents...

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Had a shop that specializes in suspension work look at it. Once on the rack, the issues became easy to see. Turns out it was bad bushing in stab bar and the lower ball joints had a lot of play in them. Shocks were good and the rest of the suspension bushings were all OK. Replaced those bushings and lower ball joints plus a front end alignment. Noises are gone and no more play in the steering. Read for a road trip!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 99,000
Garage
Red face The Long Run

Sometimes it is better overall to have it looked at by someone that does it on a day to day basis, as they will see faster than you the possible problems. if you are able to find a shop that will allow you to look at your car on the rack/hoist and show you what they found instead of just telling you or giving their opinion, the the chances of them getting MY BUSINESS is much greater. Glad it worked out for you.

Swanny
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Had a shop that specializes in suspension work look at it. Once on the rack, the issues became easy to see. Turns out it was bad bushing in stab bar and the lower ball joints had a lot of play in them. Shocks were good and the rest of the suspension bushings were all OK. Replaced those bushings and lower ball joints plus a front end alignment. Noises are gone and no more play in the steering. Read for a road trip!
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out PaulD.

I didn't think the noises you were hearing were being caused by worn front shocks.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 inferno View Post
Sometimes it is better overall to have it looked at by someone that does it on a day to day basis, as they will see faster than you the possible problems. if you are able to find a shop that will allow you to look at your car on the rack/hoist and show you what they found instead of just telling you or giving their opinion, the the chances of them getting MY BUSINESS is much greater. Glad it worked out for you.

Swanny
Small town shop - not the big stores with all the "Keep out" signs. I was standing there when they checked it over. It was a no brainer to see the problems once wheels off the ground and you could wiggle the suspension. I was also concerned about the lower arm bushings (did not look good to me) but he said they were fine (no play despite how they looked). Would have been easy to sell me on replacing them also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in