Broken rear lower control arm bolts - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

3Likes
  • 1 Post By TwoBobsXK
  • 1 Post By Big Blue
  • 1 Post By Jerry'sXK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 144k
Broken rear lower control arm bolts

Went to get an alignment yesterday after installing the lift 2 weeks ago, as is the case with most things it couldnt be easy.

Aside from me walking to get lunch and getting rain dumped on me here is what happened to the Jeep. Service guy come in and says we have a problem. There are two bolts that hold the rear lower control arm mount in place and one of the bolts (driver side) was seized and snapped... The other one broke free. So he tells me the mount is prob ruined cause the bolt is seized in it and they can take get the bolt out. Also a new arm from nappa runs $320. I said uhh... No thanks I can get them on Rock Auto for $120. Then I found out rock auto actually does sell just the rear mount. So told them to do what they could I would hobble it home on one bolt and figure it out from there. Got home started messing around and was actually able to free the stuck bolt. Slapped in a new grade 8 from Home Depot and figured we should be good to go. Took it back this morning got it aligned had them put a new bolt on passenger because it snapped as well. They couldn't get the caster back in spec but at least it's even on both sides. All in all it's been a fun 2 days...

TLDR: you can by just rear lower control arm mounts from rock auto for $20 or replace your bolt with a M12x1.25x70 bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15099004848261863652174_1509900526134.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	27849   Click image for larger version

Name:	1509900716571608842443_1509900738615.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	27857   Click image for larger version

Name:	1509900762168308775856_1509900785664.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	27865  

Last edited by heffercow; 11-05-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 133,000
Sorry for your troubles - especially getting rain dumped on you at lunch

Seriously, techs who are only there to get an upsell on parts drive me nuts. Those bolts are pretty easy to remove even if they're seized since they use a tabbed nut instead of a weld nut - they can just be snapped off and replaced. You did exactly as I would have in the same situation.

Glad it all worked out including the alignment. By the way, for anyone reading this wondering about the alignment specs... Any time you lift an XK/WK or other independent front suspension Jeep, tell the alignment tech to sacrifice caster to get the camber correct. The caster won't be out far enough to cause any issues but the camber definitely should be in spec. If you're lifted and get aftermarket upper control arms such as those from JBA you'll be able to get both caster and camber in spec.

Bob
Jerry'sXK likes this.

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks

Last edited by TwoBobsXK; 11-05-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffercow View Post
Went to get an alignment yesterday after installing the lift 2 weeks ago, as is the case with most things it couldnt be easy.

Aside from me walking to get lunch and getting rain dumped on me here is what happened to the Jeep. Service guy come in and says we have a problem. There are two bolts that hold the rear lower control arm mount in place and one of the bolts (driver side) was seized and snapped... The other one broke free. So he tells me the mount is prob ruined cause the bolt is seized in it and they can take get the bolt out. Also a new arm from nappa runs $320. I said uhh... No thanks I can get them on Rock Auto for $120. Then I found out rock auto actually does sell just the rear mount. So told them to do what they could I would hobble it home on one bolt and figure it out from there. Got home started messing around and was actually able to free the stuck bolt. Slapped in a new grade 8 from Home Depot and figured we should be good to go. Took it back this morning got it aligned had them put a new bolt on passenger because it snapped as well. They couldn't get the caster back in spec but at least it's even on both sides. All in all it's been a fun 2 days...

TLDR: you can by just rear lower control arm mounts from rock auto for $20 or replace your bolt with a M12x1.25x70 bolt.
This sounds like a total BS line from the service rep.

I'd consider finding another dealership for future work that has to be done.

I have been to good dealerships and bad ones - a good dealership where the mechanics and service reps are honest is worth it's weight in gold.

The dealership I use primarily, does good work for the most part - and because they do, they are usually pretty busy which means sometimes it's a bit of pain to get my XK in and out of there in a timely fashion.

Dealerships will always try to push maintenance jobs on you, and more often than not, I'll take their recommendations if they say they think something needs to be repaired, replaced or requires maintenance - so long as it makes sense.

But when a service rep says their mechanics can't get a bolt out - that immediately sends up a red flag with me.

Torch it, tap and dye it , cut it - do what you have to - but they should always be able to get a stuck bolt out if they are worth a damn.
TwoBobsXK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-05-2017 at 07:58 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 128K
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
Any time you lift an XK/WK or other independent front suspension Jeep, tell the alignment tech to sacrifice caster to get the camber correct. The caster won't be out far enough to cause any issues but the camber definitely should be in spec. If you're lifted and get aftermarket upper control arms such as those from JBA you'll be able to get both caster and camber in spec.

Bob
Great Info! thx much
TwoBobsXK likes this.

Know just enough to screw up my rig good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in