Input before I move forward with my lift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Points: 243, Level: 4 Points: 243, Level: 4 Points: 243, Level: 4
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 220k
Preface: 2006 Commander 5.7 Limited QDII, tow package, 238k on the body

Use: Sometimes Flat towing my TJ to trail events, Possibly buying a small camping trailer/pop up, Daily driver, Minor trail use but some logging roads (maybe 2 x a year) and definitely winter driving heavy snow use.

After reading around the forums and seeing some posts from a few forum gurus (Big blue etc etc) I think this is where I am going, any input, "While your there" advice is greatly appreciated..

Lift: 2 inch Rough country

Tires: 265/70/R17, I considered doing a 255/75/r17 only because JK take offs are everywhere in my area, set of barely used tires with nice rims $500-800 bucks, I like saving money but RC only recommends the 265 with their lift, worried about unseen headaches if I went with the slightly larger tire, also If I went this route I would do the pinch weld mod, With the 265 tires I would not do the mod.

Tire brand/type: Still pricing these out but right now I am looking at semi aggressive AT tires such as **** Cepek tough country, Hankook dynapro, General grabbers etc etc..Tires that fall around or under a $150 per tire budget.

Shocks: Having Bilstiens on my TJ and loving them, I am going to go with the 4600's front and back if anyone has the proper model numbers that would be appreciated, I really don't trust computer auto fit guides,
Coils: I think I am going to stick with the stock Commander coils, The high mileage on these original does concern me but trying to keep costs down and I am not even sure what is available for after market coils..

Thank you all in advance for your input on my proposed build, All input and advice as to what I should use or suggested maintenence issues I should address while working on the suspension would be beyond fantastic!!!

Last edited by Scottcoda; 12-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
You will probably need to do the pinch weld mod with either tire choice. You'll also need properly backspaced wheels or spacers to run a 265 width, otherwise you'll hit the upper ball joint. You'll likely have no problems clearing a 255/75R17 with the pinch weld, many other people have run them. Personally I've gone up to a 275/65R18 with 5" of backspacing and only had rubbing on the pinch weld.

Personally, I like the tread of General Grabber AT2s, and those are what I'm running on mine right now. They're also wearing very well and have decent highway manners. I don't have experience on the other tires you've mentioned, so I can't compare them to Grabbers.

Bilsteins are a good shock choice, but if you go for stock length Bilsteins in the rear you'll be maxing out their travel. You can look around for other options to get the extra length you'll need for full travel with a lift.

As far as coils go, your best move is probably to stick with the stock ones for an RC/Crown lift, or to make the leap to OME coils which will net you around 2.5" of lift and eliminate the need for a spacer lift anyway.

Either way, start hitting your lower clevis bolt with liquid wrench or something every day for about a week before you intend to install your lift to make the install go much more smoothly.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Ugh!!! Can't believe I for got to post that I plan to run SpiderTrax 1.5 inch spacers and the stock rims if I go with the 265, If the 255 happens it would be some sort of. JK rim

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned
Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 144k
I am running a 2 inch lift with 255/75 on jk wheels. Even with the pinch weld I rub very very slightly. I believe this is do to the squared off shoulders of the bfg mud terrains. an all terrain with more rounded edges may not rub at all.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

4WD
Current Mileage: 133,000
Welcome - looks like you're well on your way to a fun and very capable XK

My opinion may not be shared with a lot of others here on this forum but I'll throw it out there anyway. The XK/WK independent front suspension requires the complete disassembly of the front coilover shock/spring unit to replace the shock - which means the spring is removed to get to the shock. Since 90% of the work is in disassembling the coilover tower, in my opinion you might as well replace the springs with a new set. To add the RC spacer on top of the coilover assembly you need to completely remove the tower from the Jeep as well so you're not really saving yourself - or the shop that's doing it - any time or money. You're tearing things apart to replace the shocks and the springs still need compressed to install them on the shock, all the isolators need removed from the coilover assembly, etc. And at 238K, the factory springs (which are weak to begin with) are overdue for replacement anyway. Remember, the springs are the only suspension component under stress 100% of the time whether the vehicle is in motion or not so they wear out just like shocks do.

A set of OME springs (I suggest HD springs) will give you the lift you want to fit new tires both in the front and rear. I installed OME Heavy Duty springs with Bilstein 4600 shocks on all four corners - my XK is the second Jeep on which I've installed that setup and it's been great. I put over 100,000 miles on the OME/Bilstein setup on my modded KJ until I went to a full JBA custom coilover assembly. You can find OME springs online at Amazon as well as several Jeep vendors; I've always purchased shocks from ShockWarehouse.com.

Since you're in upstate NY you'll probably run into the dreaded lower clevis bolt issue where the bolt seizes to the bushing sleeve in the lower control arm. I'm in Northern Ohio and deal with salty roads and had to cut the bolt out and replace it with a new one - not a difficult job but it does add a little drama to the front suspension. But it was all worth it given the complete change in how the Commander rides now.

This is how it sits - the tires are still stock size. The front measures 22 inches from the center of the hub to the fender flare and the rear is at 21.5 inches (the rear wheel arch is slightly smaller; the Jeep sits perfectly level.) I'm also running 1.5 inch SpiderTrax spacers to give it the stance I want and for future tire upgrades.

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
Welcome - looks like you're well on your way to a fun and very capable XK [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/IMG]

My opinion may not be shared with a lot of others here on this forum but I'll throw it out there anyway. The XK/WK independent front suspension requires the complete disassembly of the front coilover shock/spring unit to replace the shock - which means the spring is removed to get to the shock. Since 90% of the work is in disassembling the coilover tower, in my opinion you might as well replace the springs with a new set. To add the RC spacer on top of the coilover assembly you need to completely remove the tower from the Jeep as well so you're not really saving yourself - or the shop that's doing it - any time or money. You're tearing things apart to replace the shocks and the springs still need compressed to install them on the shock, all the isolators need removed from the coilover assembly, etc. And at 238K, the factory springs (which are weak to begin with) are overdue for replacement anyway. Remember, the springs are the only suspension component under stress 100% of the time whether the vehicle is in motion or not so they wear out just like shocks do.

A set of OME springs (I suggest HD springs) will give you the lift you want to fit new tires both in the front and rear. I installed OME Heavy Duty springs with Bilstein 4600 shocks on all four corners - my XK is the second Jeep on which I've installed that setup and it's been great. I put over 100,000 miles on the OME/Bilstein setup on my modded KJ until I went to a full JBA custom coilover assembly. You can find OME springs online at Amazon as well as several Jeep vendors; I've always purchased shocks from ShockWarehouse.com.

Since you're in upstate NY you'll probably run into the dreaded lower clevis bolt issue where the bolt seizes to the bushing sleeve in the lower control arm. I'm in Northern Ohio and deal with salty roads and had to cut the bolt out and replace it with a new one - not a difficult job but it does add a little drama to the front suspension. But it was all worth it given the complete change in how the Commander rides now.

This is how it sits - the tires are still stock size. The front measures 22 inches from the center of the hub to the fender flare and the rear is at 21.5 inches (the rear wheel arch is slightly smaller; the Jeep sits perfectly level.) I'm also running 1.5 inch SpiderTrax spacers to give it the stance I want and for future tire upgrades.

Bob
Thank you so much for your input, Your jeep looks awesome!! Absolutely love the look!! I been checking the forums about the OME springs and found a few threads that state the front seems a bit lower to give the Jeep a "raked" look, Your jeep appears to be level, I was wondering if you had to add any coil spacers to the front springs to achieve the level height,

I was also wonering if you or anyone else could confirm that these are the Bilstein shocks I need, The Web site states that these are for 0 lift stock applications, Will these work with either OME springs or RC lift kit??
4wheelparts.com is having a sale so I might jump on these rather quick, The set is on sale for $285.54(I did check shockwarehouse.com, $317.00)
These are the shocks that list for the commander with 0 lift.. I am hoping that these are the correct shocks..

Fronts: https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...n=BIL24-186797

Rear: https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...n=BIL24-186803
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcoda
Preface: 2006 Commander 5.7 Limited QDII, tow package, 238k on the body

Use: Sometimes Flat towing my TJ to trail events, Possibly buying a small camping trailer/pop up, Daily driver, Minor trail use but some logging roads (maybe 2 x a year) and definitely winter driving heavy snow use.

After reading around the forums and seeing some posts from a few forum gurus (Big blue etc etc) I think this is where I am going, any input, "While your there" advice is greatly appreciated..

Lift: 2 inch Rough country

Tires: 265/70/R17, I considered doing a 255/75/r17 only because JK take offs are everywhere in my area, set of barely used tires with nice rims $500-800 bucks, I like saving money but RC only recommends the 265 with their lift, worried about unseen headaches if I went with the slightly larger tire, also If I went this route I would do the pinch weld mod, With the 265 tires I would not do the mod.

Tire brand/type: Still pricing these out but right now I am looking at semi aggressive AT tires such as **** Cepek tough country, Hankook dynapro, General grabbers etc etc..Tires that fall around or under a $150 per tire budget.

Shocks: Having Bilstiens on my TJ and loving them, I am going to go with the 4600's front and back if anyone has the proper model numbers that would be appreciated, I really don't trust computer auto fit guides,
Coils: I think I am going to stick with the stock Commander coils, The high mileage on these original does concern me but trying to keep costs down and I am not even sure what is available for after market coils..

Thank you all in advance for your input on my proposed build, All input and advice as to what I should use or suggested maintenence issues I should address while working on the suspension would be beyond fantastic!!!
Bilstein B6 4600 front shock absorbers (Part # 24-186797)
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks (Part # 33-225807)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-17-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

4WD
Current Mileage: 133,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcoda View Post
Thank you so much for your input, Your jeep looks awesome!! Absolutely love the look!! I been checking the forums about the OME springs and found a few threads that state the front seems a bit lower to give the Jeep a "raked" look, Your jeep appears to be level, I was wondering if you had to add any coil spacers to the front springs to achieve the level height,

I was also wonering if you or anyone else could confirm that these are the Bilstein shocks I need, The Web site states that these are for 0 lift stock applications, Will these work with either OME springs or RC lift kit??
4wheelparts.com is having a sale so I might jump on these rather quick, The set is on sale for $285.54(I did check shockwarehouse.com, $317.00)
These are the shocks that list for the commander with 0 lift.. I am hoping that these are the correct shocks..

Fronts: https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...n=BIL24-186797

Rear: https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...n=BIL24-186803
Thanks for the compliments - appreciate it.

The factory, nose-down rake is eliminated with the OME springs. There are no spacers or other add-ons to lift it to that height - the lift is purely from the springs (which is why I like the OME springs so much.) Mine sits perfectly level measuring the rocker panel front to rear. The front measures 22 inches from hub to fender flare while the rear is 21.5 inches. The rear wheel opening is slightly smaller than the front so that's why the measurement is different even though the vehicle sits level.

The front suspension doesn't allow for - nor does any manufacturer offer - a longer shock. There is only one length whether the Jeep is lifted or not. It's a function of the IFS design and the travel limits built into the design. The Bilstein 5100 can provide additional lift by changing the location of the lower spring perch but the shock travel is only very slightly more than the 4600 shock. The OME springs provide the lift so I went with the 4600.

On the rear the Bilstein 4600 will work if you're going no higher than about 21 inches from center of the hub to the fender flare. If you're going higher than that follow BigBlue's suggestion and go with the Bilstein 5100's to give you enough articulation without bottoming out the shock.

I think you'll love how your Jeep will ride and handle with the OME/Bilstein combo

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks

Last edited by TwoBobsXK; 12-17-2017 at 04:18 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Just wanted to do a small update in my lift, I decided to go with the advice I received and do the OME/Bilstein set up, I got great discount pricing and free shipping from morris4x4 which helped alot!! The new springs were very much needed as the struts and shocks had long been neglected (original equipment was still on at 245k) and i think the springs took alot of abuse b/c if that.
The install so far has been going well, ball joints needed to be replaced and of course the fused lower control arm bolt and bushing needed to be replaced as well, The tires arrived and by this friday the kit should be installed, new tires on and on my way to get an alignment done . Thanks again for all the advice!!! I will put some pics up of the finished project in the next few days,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_163327_1518490978374.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	30441   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10216193787864121_1518491005319.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	30449   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_133156_1518491037613.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	30457  
TwoBobsXK likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

Model year: 2009
4WD
Current Mileage: 90K
Garage
Hey Scottcoda, Im confused.. So you didn't get the rough country 2in lift and just went with the OME/Bilstein combo or you did both? and if you don't mind me asking... other then the tires(so ome/bilstein, ball joints, lower control arm bolt and bushing) what did all that cost you? Its one thing to go in thinking its going to cost a certain amount and then once in, a few things need to be replaced and repaired and the budget goes out the window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in