replacement shocks? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 727, Level: 14 Points: 727, Level: 14 Points: 727, Level: 14
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

replacement shocks?

Im looking into the rough country 2" front level with the 1.5" in the back. My question is with this lift, for replacement shock am i able to go with stock replacement sizes or do i need to get taller ones? Favoring rancho shock/strut set up. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by familywagon4x4 View Post
Im looking into the rough country 2" front level with the 1.5" in the back. My question is with this lift, for replacement shock am i able to go with stock replacement sizes or do i need to get taller ones? Favoring rancho shock/strut set up. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

The quick answer to your question is... For the front all the shocks are the same length so no concerns about needing longer ones. For the rear you may need longer shocks depending on the amount of lift; if you go with the 1.5" in the back you can use standard length shocks.

The longer answer....

In the front you need to completely disassemble the coilover tower in order to remove the shock to replace it meaning the spring comes off the shock and then is compressed on to the new shock. Since the spring is removed anyway, you can gain the same lift (maybe a bit more) with a new set of springs. Again, the springs are removed anyway and there's no need to put a spacer on top of the shock tower to gain any lift. And replacing the shocks without also doing the springs leaves you with worn out springs being damped by new shocks which only causes the shocks to work that much harder and wear out that much sooner.

In the rear the process of replacing the springs is much simpler and faster since the springs and shocks are not one unit. It's just a matter of holding up the body so the rear axle droops loosely so the springs can be popped out and new ones put in. On the driver's side you'll need to remove the track bar link so the axle can droop enough but the passenger side can just be pushed down with your foot to pop out the spring.

You'll get a MUCH better ride with new springs along with the shocks and no extra parts are needed. I'd suggest OME medium duty front and rear unless you have the Hemi in which case I'd go with the HD springs. Four Bilstein shocks and four OME springs ran me about $850 plus $40 for the front shock/spring assembly at a local shop (you DON'T want to compress springs at home - leave that to a shop with a professional press.) You'll also need an alignment when the installation is complete just like you would with a spacer or budget lift.

My 2 cents for what that's worth. I've done the same lift on both my XK and my Liberty (actually did two different lifts on my Liberty once I had over 100,000 miles on the OME/Bilstein lift) so I've got a lot of miles under my belt with spring lifts. Much more comfortable ride and a more stable vehicle as well compared to a spacer lift.

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by familywagon4x4 View Post
@familywagon4x4 ;

Please update your profile;

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum - Announcements in Forum : Suspension / Lifts

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Points: 536, Level: 10 Points: 536, Level: 10 Points: 536, Level: 10
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 100150
Hello,

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I am looking to install a 3" Heavy Metal spacer lift on my Commander.
It had 104K miles on it so I am looking to install new shocks and struts as well.
My question is, what is a good brand that I should go with. The Commander is my daily driver and i use it for
camping and fishing on the weekends. No real hardcore off roading.
It is a 2007 4.7L Limited.
I just want to look the part and have confidence that if I did take it off road it can handle it.
Does OME have 3" springs for the front and back?
Any part numbers would greatly be appreciated.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

4WD
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
I went with the OME heavy duty springs . There wasn't a heavy duty even offered. I also installed the rancho rs5000 struts and shocks. Rancho claims that they are capabale of working properly with an additional two inches of lift .

Last edited by Flex; 01-22-2018 at 01:48 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEE8282 View Post
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I am looking to install a 3" Heavy Metal spacer lift on my Commander.
I wouldn't go for that lift if I were you. There's been a lot of debate on this forum about it, but most of us are in agreement that it likely offers no more lift than the RC kit, plus the RC kit is more proven. You can also get Crown's version of the RC kit for $110 usually.
Quote:
It had 104K miles on it so I am looking to install new shocks and struts as well.
My question is, what is a good brand that I should go with. The Commander is my daily driver and i use it for
camping and fishing on the weekends. No real hardcore off roading.
It is a 2007 4.7L Limited.
I just want to look the part and have confidence that if I did take it off road it can handle it.
Bilstein is a commonly mentioned company here. You can run stock 4600 series struts with any lift and have no problems. You can also step up to the 5100 series and achieve a decent amount of lift by simply adjusting the spring perch.
In the rear, you won't be able to run a stock 4600 shock without problems. You can step up to shocks meant for a Ford F150, and with a couple washers around the top bushing, it'll fit perfectly for a couple inches of lift. I'm running F150 Monroe Load Levellers on mine and they've been good so far. They also added a bit of lift in the rear as well.
Quote:
Does OME have 3" springs for the front and back?
Any part numbers would greatly be appreciated.
OME doesn't have 3" springs. Their springs tend to give around 2.5" of lift.
You can go with their medium duty springs, which are part numbers 2990 and 2992, or their heavy duty springs, which are part numbers 2991 and 2993.

It's worth noting that these springs were designed for the WK, so given the added weight of an XK's body and third row seats, you may want to move to heavy duty springs.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

4WD
Current Mileage: 133,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post

OME doesn't have 3" springs. Their springs tend to give around 2.5" of lift.
You can go with their medium duty springs, which are part numbers 2990 and 2992, or their heavy duty springs, which are part numbers 2991 and 2993.

It's worth noting that these springs were designed for the WK, so given the added weight of an XK's body and third row seats, you may want to move to heavy duty springs.
Due to insurance company lawyers, OME is only able to advertise 2.5" of lift with a set of their springs - but they ALWAYS provide more lift than that. The set of OME's I put on my XK Hemi gave me 4 inches over the height it sat with the sagged stock springs - it now sits at 22" in front from the center of the hub to the edge of the fender flare. The rear is at 21.5" (the rear wheel opening is 1/2" shorter in the rear - the Jeep sits perfectly level.)

The HD springs work great for the Hemi; the MD springs will be fine with the 4.7.

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
Due to insurance company lawyers, OME is only able to advertise 2.5" of lift with a set of their springs - but they ALWAYS provide more lift than that. The set of OME's I put on my XK Hemi gave me 4 inches over the height it sat with the sagged stock springs - it now sits at 22" in front from the center of the hub to the edge of the fender flare. The rear is at 21.5" (the rear wheel opening is 1/2" shorter in the rear - the Jeep sits perfectly level.)

The HD springs work great for the Hemi; the MD springs will be fine with the 4.7.

Bob
Good to hear. I'll soon be installing an HD set on mine, and with 160k miles my springs have definitely sagged a fair amount. The modest lift of an RC kit hasn't been enough for me.
TwoBobsXK likes this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 AM
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

4WD
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
Interesting, I ended up with 20" in the front and 20 3/4" in the rear.
TwoBobsXK likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Points: 536, Level: 10 Points: 536, Level: 10 Points: 536, Level: 10
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 100150
Thank you guys very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in