Another Front Shocks Question, Installation Tips Please - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes
  • 1 Post By consumedbywater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Another Front Shocks Question, Installation Tips Please

Need new shocks, all stock currently and replacing with all stock.

A walkthrough would be great, if not hopefully the main questions I have can get answered.

I did see one with pics but photobucket wasnt showing them.

I got loaded shocks which is supposed to be easier. My main concern is if anything needs to be disconnected on the lower area in order to get the new assembly in, and or any other tips, that seems to be the hard part.

The other concern is all of the electronics on the top drivers side, can I work around them or do they have to be moved, and if so how?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Briandl; 02-19-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl View Post
Need new shocks, all stock currently and replacing with all stock.

A walkthrough would be great, if not hopefully the main questions I have can get answered.

I did see one with pics but photobucket wasnt showing them.

I got loaded shocks which is supposed to be easier. My main concern is if anything needs to be disconnected on the lower area in order to get the new assembly in, and or any other tips, that seems to be the hard part.

The other concern is all of the electronics on the top drivers side, can I work around them or do they have to be moved, and if so how?

Thanks in advance!
The electronics on the drivers side are easily moved. there are a few nuts in the fuse box that can be removed and you can simply push it out of the way without disconnecting any electronics.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:26 PM

2WD
Do you plan to replace anything else like UCA or LCA? They are probably due.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
There are about 3 10mm nuts that hold the fuse boxes to the inner fender, then they can push up to gain access to the top strut nuts.

On the passenger side simply remove the 2 or 3 nuts/bolts that hold the overflow tank in place and move it out of the way. You have 4 nuts / studs on the top of each strut.
One bolt on the bottom of the strut / top of fork.

One very large possibly corroded and stuck bolt on the bottom of the fork. Good idea to hit that with a lot of PB Blaster / WD-40 type stuff (technically speaking) for a couple of days before you start.

Then all that is left is the upper ball joint... the nut should come off easily and then you just have to whack it until it separates, I usually tie the spindle to something... like the upper A arm... so that it doesn't just flop over and rip the break hose.... This step should actually be done early on to relieve pressure from the spring.....

2010 5.7 QTII -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

2WD
Thanks so much guys.

I had searched before but didnt find much, and while waiting for responses here I did wind up finding some useful information.

Great question Lucky, and the only one I forgot to ask about.

My jeep has 240K and Iíve owned it since 70K and never touched the front suspension. Is there anything I would be stupid not to replace at the same time? Im ok with going back in after and replacing easy things later, but anything that has to go in when the new shocks are going in, I want to do.

What can you guys tell me about those parts? I think I recall the UCA is easier to replace entirely, while the LCA can simply have the bushing replaced. If so are either job difficult to do? Looks like a couple of bolts on the UCA and is the LCA bushing hard to deal with?

TIA!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Points: 9,994, Level: 66 Points: 9,994, Level: 66 Points: 9,994, Level: 66
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 85000
I will be performing the front coil over swap soon. Here is a video I found:

2006 65th Anniversary Edition Commander (Black/Grey)
Specs: 4.7 V8, 4x4
Toys: Bel Vector 995
Mods: Steering Wheel Controls, removed airbox resonator,
Bilstein 5100, 245/70/17 Cooper AT/3
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl View Post
My jeep has 240K and Iíve owned it since 70K and never touched the front suspension. Is there anything I would be stupid not to replace at the same time? Im ok with going back in after and replacing easy things later, but anything that has to go in when the new shocks are going in, I want to do.
What can you guys tell me about those parts? I think I recall the UCA is easier to replace entirely, while the LCA can simply have the bushing replaced. If so are either job difficult to do? Looks like a couple of bolts on the UCA and is the LCA bushing hard to deal with?
You'll definitely want to replace the UCA while the strut is out, since you can't remove the bolts while the strut is in place. It's also easier to get the strut in and out if you loosen the UCA bolts first, since you'll be able to push it up and out of the way more easily.

The LCA has a fairly accessible ball joint, but you'll need a ball joint press to get the old one out, and to press the new one in. You can rent one at most auto parts stores if you don't want to buy one.

Since you're doing all the work and will need an alignment anyway, you may consider replacing your outer and inner tie rods. When your front end is off the ground you can try to wiggle them and see how much play there is.

Finally, take a look at the condition of your half shaft boots. The half shafts are easier to remove with the front end apart, so if they need replacing, this would be a good time to do it.

As far as tearing the front end apart, since you're replacing everything anyway, rather than tying the spindle to something to keep stress off the brake line, I'd recommend removing the caliper altogether. You can use a hanger or a bungee cord or something to hang it somewhere secure and out of the way and you'll have a much easier time removing everything with it out of the way.
luckyse7ens likes this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 AM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thance View Post
There are about 3 10mm nuts that hold the fuse boxes to the inner fender, then they can push up to gain access to the top strut nuts.

On the passenger side simply remove the 2 or 3 nuts/bolts that hold the overflow tank in place and move it out of the way. You have 4 nuts / studs on the top of each strut.
One bolt on the bottom of the strut / top of fork.

One very large possibly corroded and stuck bolt on the bottom of the fork. Good idea to hit that with a lot of PB Blaster / WD-40 type stuff (technically speaking) for a couple of days before you start.

Then all that is left is the upper ball joint... the nut should come off easily and then you just have to whack it until it separates, I usually tie the spindle to something... like the upper A arm... so that it doesn't just flop over and rip the break hose.... This step should actually be done early on to relieve pressure from the spring.....
why tie the spindle? Just dont comletely remove the nut and it will stop the spindle from flopping all ove when it breaks loose
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
why tie the spindle? Just dont comletely remove the nut and it will stop the spindle from flopping all ove when it breaks loose
Well... I am usually trying to get as much lift as I can .... which means the spring/strut assembly is as long as possible currently with adjustable 5100 struts and OMEHD and previously with OMEHD and a spacer.....so I tend to need as much space as I can get to fit everything in there.

For stock replacement might not matter.... but I figured can't hurt....

2010 5.7 QTII -
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thance View Post
Well... I am usually trying to get as much lift as I can .... which means the spring/strut assembly is as long as possible currently with adjustable 5100 struts and OMEHD and previously with OMEHD and a spacer.....so I tend to need as much space as I can get to fit everything in there.

For stock replacement might not matter.... but I figured can't hurt....

Good grief! what ride height? You start wrecking halfshafts if you go too high.

Also i was just talking about disassembly. If you leave the nut on th UCA ball joint bolt loosely when you pop the ball joint it will catch it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in