Modified OME - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Modified OME

After running a Crown (Rough Country equivalent) lift for a year, and finding its limits while off roading, I decided it was time to upgrade. I initially planned to go for OME HD springs alone, but after trying them out and seeing no additional height over the spacer lift, so I decided to go for a modified OME. I didn't go for OME shocks, instead using Bilstein 4600 stock struts up front and Monroe F-150 Load Levelling shocks in the rear.

Here's where I was at before, with the spacer lift. Ball joint angles were pretty bad, so I decided to go for JBA UCAs as well. For a modified OME, that's an absolutely necessary upgrade.

The OME springs are around 1" taller than stock, and each have one extra coil. They're also slightly thicker, contributing to a higher spring rate.

The JBA UCAs are significantly more beefy than stock, and the ball joints also have significantly more travel. They're also replaceable with the same ball joints that many 1/2 ton Chevys in the 90s came with, so if you need to you can get replacements at any auto parts store.

The OME springs alone put me at 21" hub to fender up front, and 22" hub to fender in the rear, almost exactly what I had using the Crown lift before. The ride was much improved, but I really wanted the extra height to clear my larger tires.

So I set about modifying the Crown lift to stack on top of the OME springs. In the rear, there were no problems. Stacking the spacers onto the springs left me at 23.5" hub to fender, and after notching the gas tank skid plate to allow the control arm to drop further, everything worked well. I removed the rear sway bar since with HD springs and Monroe load levelling shocks, my rear end was plenty stiff enough.

Up front, I had a much harder time. First I tried to just stack the spacers on, and encountered major problems. I sat at 24.5" hub to fender, where the UCAs contacted the spring. Without the UCAs connected, the shocks extended to 25", where the tie rod ends maxed out. The suspension was completely ruined, with no downward travel. I wanted to end up at 23" up front, which is the height most WK forums recommend as the maximum height. So I decided to trim the Crown spacer down.

I started by separating the top strut mount, hammering the bolts out. I used deep sockets around the bolts to give them room to fall through, and used a hammer to pound them out. With the bolts removed the strut mounts separated into two pieces.

Next, I cut apart the Crown spacer and cut out the bolts. I carefully cut the spacer apart right at the weld on one side, so I would have an easier time welding everything back together later.

Next, I trimmed down the metal tabs to shorten the spacer. I did some careful measuring and decided to trim each tab down to 1/2", leaving me at a 7/8" thick spacer overall.

Next, I bolted the spacers and strut mounts together to form a single unit, and welded everything together. I also added 3" long 1/2" diameter grade 8 bolts since the original bolts wouldn't be long enough. I welded them to the strut mounts so they wouldn't spin when I reinstalled everything.

After reassembling the entire front end, I ended up at exactly 23" hub to fender up front, and 23.5" hub to fender in the rear.

During this project, I also replaced my lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, and half shafts since at 170k miles they were all pretty worn out and the CV boots were torn. I plan to rebuild the half shafts with new grease and new boots so that I have a spare set, but the front end angles don't look too bad. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the angles at the moment, but I'll be sure to take some later and add them.

I've hosted a set of full size pictures and descriptions here, with some additional images as well detailing some other parts of the installation.
luckyse7ens and Mike Hobson like this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Points: 2,402, Level: 29 Points: 2,402, Level: 29 Points: 2,402, Level: 29
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 67000
Garage
Great write up and good job !
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

Model year: 2009
4WD
Current Mileage: 90K
Garage
great job!! It looks really good

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:11 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Up front, I had a much harder time. First I tried to just stack the spacers on, and encountered major problems. I sat at 24.5" hub to fender, where the UCAs contacted the spring. Without the UCAs connected, the shocks extended to 25", where the tie rod ends maxed out. The suspension was completely ruined, with no downward travel. I wanted to end up at 23" up front,

SO you only have 1.5" of droop? That is a bummer. Thats the major reason for running a superlift at running anything more then an OME lift height.

Otherwise looks like you did a great job on the work and the writeup! RIde height looks real good.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
SO you only have 1.5" of droop? That is a bummer. Thats the major reason for running a superlift at running anything more then an OME lift height.

Otherwise looks like you did a great job on the work and the writeup! RIde height looks real good.
An alignment did affect my strut angles slightly, and my new tie rod ends do allow a larger range of motion, so with my current setup, my droop is limited by the strut anyway. I haven't measured the exact amount of droop I have now, but I more or less have the suspension travel of an OME lift, with the space to clear 33s comfortably.

I don't know the specifics of a Superlift since I haven't been able to closely examine one, but I believe that since it uses a 4" spacer on top of the stock strut setup, you essentially get factory travel. This means that the Superlift will have more droop than me, since an OME lift utilizes springs to extend the strut further at ride height, but not as much compression, since the strut will be more compressed with stock springs at ride height.

Compression is much more important to me since in most situations, it'll lower the center of gravity much more than droop. I won't be able to keep all 4 wheels on the ground as often, but given that I've also added a roof basket and the XK is pretty top heavy anyway, I'd much rather have less rollover risk than full traction. The best of both worlds would involve a coilover setup with the Superlift cradle drop, but that's pretty far out of my price range right now.

Flowmaster Super 44
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 PM
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

4WD
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
No he ended up with 23" up front and 23.5" in the rear. That's only .5"
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 AM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
No he ended up with 23" up front and 23.5" in the rear. That's only .5"
That is not related to what we're talking about as far as i know...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
Nice work. Please report back on ride quality. For anyone looking to do this that doesn't already have a crown or rc lift to work with I would recommend 2 3/8 spacers. They are solid plate 3/8 thick... No cutting welding required.

2010 5.7 QTII -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
What tie rod ends are you using, and how much extra travel are you getting?

2010 5.7 QTII -
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thance View Post
Nice work. Please report back on ride quality. For anyone looking to do this that doesn't already have a crown or rc lift to work with I would recommend 2 3/8 spacers. They are solid plate 3/8 thick... No cutting welding required.
Ride quality is much firmer than stock. I ran the OME by itself for a few days before modifying it, and the ride is the same modified as unmodified.

Personally, I prefer the firmer ride since it feels much more stable around corners and more connected to the road. However, it doesn't absorb bumps nearly as well as the stock suspension and there's a lot of jostling around on rough roads.

3/8 spacers are an excellent option to avoid cutting and welding. The stock strut mount bolts still won't be long enough, so they'll have to be replaced. I imagine that with a little drilling, lug studs would make an excellent press-in option. It's also worth noting that while I needed 7/8" to reach 23" hub to fender, I have the Hemi and around 200 lbs of extra weight in/above the cabin, so my springs have much more load on them. I've seen WKs with the Hemi use only 1/2" of extra spacers to reach the same 23" hub to fender, so I'd advise trying out one spacer first before trying to add a second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thance View Post
What tie rod ends are you using, and how much extra travel are you getting?
I'm using Moog Problem Solver inner tie rod ends (PN: EV800467) and ACDelco Professional outer tie rod ends (PN: 45A1036/45A1037). I didn't measure travel beforehand, so I can't say exactly how much extra travel I'm getting, but I'd estimate I have around 2.5" of droop and 4" of compression up front.

Flowmaster Super 44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in