Front end clunk on bumps - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 170k
Front end clunk on bumps

First let me start off by stating that my front dif bushings are shot (the center one anyway), and I hear that clunk when switching gears, or when the tranny downshifts on deceleration. Also, the truck just passed NY state inspection where I know they checked out the ball joints and the wheel bearings for play. The clunk I am hearing is when the truck goes over a bump that causes travel in the front end. I think Im hearing it from both sides. I thought it might actually be the dif bushing as the dif might move a bit as the cv axles put strain on it as the front end travels. I also know that sway bar links are a common item to be replaced on these vehicles. If I was to disconnect both side links and the clunks went away, that would indicate bad links? Visually, everything looks ok. No obvious missing rubber or anything like that.

Last edited by Carbuff; 10-14-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:04 AM
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
You would be wise to jack up the front end and inpect the condition of the bushings. Common clunk bushings are the upper control arm to frame and the strut clevis to lower control arm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:59 AM
Points: 31,849, Level: 100 Points: 31,849, Level: 100 Points: 31,849, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

4WD
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Sway bar bushings are another common clunk.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbuff View Post
First let me start off by stating that my front dif bushings are shot (the center one anyway), and I hear that clunk when switching gears, or when the tranny downshifts on deceleration. Also, the truck just passed NY state inspection where I know they checked out the ball joints and the wheel bearings for play. The clunk I am hearing is when the truck goes over a bump that causes travel in the front end. I think Im hearing it from both sides. I thought it might actually be the dif bushing as the dif might move a bit as the cv axles put strain on it as the front end travels. I also know that sway bar links are a common item to be replaced on these vehicles. If I was to disconnect both side links and the clunks went away, that would indicate bad links? Visually, everything looks ok. No obvious missing rubber or anything like that.
I'd bet my money that it's time to replace your front upper differential bushing.

This is a known & common point of wear / failure on Grand Cherokees & Commanders alike due to sub-par engineering of the torque load displacement from the factory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-16-2018 at 06:37 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'd bet my money that it's time to replace your front upper differential bushing.

This is a known & common point of wear / failure on Grand Cherokees & Commanders alike due to sub-par engineering of the torque load displacement from the factory.

Yes that bushing is shot as I had stated. I also stated that I can hear the clunk from that when shifting in and out of gear. Do you think that suspension travel would cause that bushing to clunk also? If all the clunks are related to this one bushing, then Im ok with that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Yes that bushing is shot as I had stated. I also stated that I can hear the clunk from that when shifting in and out of gear. Do you think that suspension travel would cause that bushing to clunk also? If all the clunks are related to this one bushing, then Im ok with that.
I really can't give you a definitive answer one way or the other @Carbuff but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

There is only one way to find out for certain; You already know it's shot - replace it and then see where you are when the dust settles.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-16-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I really can't give you a definitive answer one way or the other @Carbuff but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

There is only one way to find out for certain; You already know it's shot - replace it and then see where you are when the dust settles.

Sound advice. Its just so much easier to do end links. LOL.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Sound advice. Its just so much easier to do end links. LOL.
I hear you.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:32 AM
Points: 7,158, Level: 56 Points: 7,158, Level: 56 Points: 7,158, Level: 56
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

4WD
Current Mileage: 134101
Garage
I had the same issue with my '06. I replaced my front diff bushings and end links and there was no change. A mechanic friend kept insisting it was the sway bar frame bushings, which were fairly new, causing the problem. When i inspected them they looked fine but i replaced them anyway and it solved the problem. The frame bushings, when new, look as though they're too small but squeeze in nicely when bolted up. Also, Jeep changed the design of the bracket and bushing at some point. The new version has a rib down the middle to hold the bushing in place.

Al Esposito

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajespo View Post
I had the same issue with my '06. I replaced my front diff bushings and end links and there was no change. A mechanic friend kept insisting it was the sway bar frame bushings, which were fairly new, causing the problem. When i inspected them they looked fine but i replaced them anyway and it solved the problem. The frame bushings, when new, look as though they're too small but squeeze in nicely when bolted up. Also, Jeep changed the design of the bracket and bushing at some point. The new version has a rib down the middle to hold the bushing in place.

Interesting. I seem to remember this issue from the WK forums when I had my 08 JGC. Thanks for bringing it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in