Newb Lift Questions - Surprising Info from 4WD Shop - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165000
Newb Lift Questions - Surprising Info from 4WD Shop

Okay, so I'm an admitted newb at all things relating to lifts. So we took our son's 2006 Commander to a local 4WD shop to ask some questions about a lift. It's a reputable shop in the community, and they specialize in lifts. But I'm surprised at what they told us.

First off, we told the guy we were considering the 2.25" Rocky Road lift kit, including new shocks, with the intent to ask about the need for also possibly replacing the struts and control arms. Right off the bat, the guy said that he won't install a lift kit on an AWD Jeep Commander. He said it's too dangerous and runs high risk of breaking. He's never done a lift on a Jeep Commander, and says the only Jeeps he will lift are Wranglers. Says he's turned down other Commander owners looking for the same thing. He did recommend we get a second opinion from some other shops, which we are doing.

So what gives? Am I missing something? Is this just an overly-cautious mechanic, or is there more to the story that I need to be aware of? Any and all thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Probably just an overly cautious mechanic. If he'll only lift Wranglers, he may just be uncomfortable with IFS front ends.

A 2" lift on an XK isn't abnormal, and while it'll cause a little extra wear on some front end components it's nothing to be concerned about. Plenty of us have run 2" lifts with no problems at all.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
Current Mileage: 165000
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
Probably just an overly cautious mechanic. If he'll only lift Wranglers, he may just be uncomfortable with IFS front ends.

A 2" lift on an XK isn't abnormal, and while it'll cause a little extra wear on some front end components it's nothing to be concerned about. Plenty of us have run 2" lifts with no problems at all.
Thank you, that's what I figured. I know these 2" lift kits are in wide usage, so I'm not overly concerned about it. I'm going to have another discussion with this chap and see where it goes. I think he's just generally unfamiliar with these types of kits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in