ABS Problem after Lift/Tires & Other Work - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,839, Level: 39 Points: 3,839, Level: 39 Points: 3,839, Level: 39
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 221000
ABS Problem after Lift/Tires & Other Work

Hey friends, looking for some feedback from the group. Yesterday, I did some significant modifications to my XK. It started with the 2.25" Rocky Road XK Lift, their nitrogen charged rear shocks, new OME XK front struts, and new 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires on 2010 JK rims with 1.5" spacers. I then ended up changing out both front wheel hub bearings with SCITOO PN# 513234, and both outer tie rod ends with O’Reilly Auto Parts' MasterPro Chassis brand.

Everything came together fairly well with the help of air tools of course. After everything was back together there were two issues, one was the TPMS. Not sure if the JK's sensors are compatible but if they're not I know how to fix it and that's the smaller of the two issues. The second issue, is that every time I press on the brakes, the ABS kicks in, like it thinks a front tire is slipping. There are no warning lights on the dash, the cruise control still works so I'm guessing the wheel speed sensors are working fine. This happens if I have the traction control on or off, no difference.

At first I thought maybe it was just out of alignment and that was causing the issue, so I immediately drove to the shop and had them align it but that made no change. Is it possible that simply adding the larger tires is causing this? I'm just afraid that maybe there's an issue with the wheel speed sensors but I would think if there was any issue, ABS would disable itself, the cruise control wouldn't work, etc. I have a 3874 Flashpaq coming tomorrow so I can modify the tire size, but I was just looking for advice as well, in case that doesn't change anything!

I hope it goes without saying, but I did search the forum and didn't really see anyone else with this same issue, it seemed to be more with the traction control system when adding lifts over 2.5" and the ESP causing issues with turning (link here: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...cting-esp.html). My issue is, that above 5mph, ABS engages 95% of the time I apply any amount of pressure to the brake pedal, no matter what position the steering wheel is at. Thanks all, I really value this forum and any feedback you may have!

Here's a photo yesterday, just back from the test drive:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-12-28.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	33521  

Last edited by tankman67; 12-28-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Points: 3,318, Level: 35 Points: 3,318, Level: 35 Points: 3,318, Level: 35
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Model year: 2007
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 130k
i had abs warning lights after i changed my hubs. i reset via the fiat app car software. i would disconnect your battery for a while to reset everything and see if there are any changes.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm4633 View Post
i reset via the fiat app car software. i would disconnect your battery for a while to reset everything and see if there are any changes.
Thanks for chiming in drm4633! I have no warning lights, and the battery was disconnected over the two days I did all the work. I am going to connect an OBDII reader today, to see if that gives me any info. The Flashpaq should also arrive today so I'll be changing the tire size as well. Fingers crossed. I fear one of the hub sensors may just be defective.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
@tankman67 ;

Try turning your electronic stability control off so you see that the orange wavy light is on - and see if you still have that same issue.

If you don't have the same issue when your ESC is off, then, you probably need an EGR (Electronic Geometry Recalibration) Module to compensate for your modifications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-29-2018 at 06:52 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Points: 3,318, Level: 35 Points: 3,318, Level: 35 Points: 3,318, Level: 35
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Model year: 2007
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 130k
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman67 View Post
Thanks for chiming in drm4633! I have no warning lights, and the battery was disconnected over the two days I did all the work. I am going to connect an OBDII reader today, to see if that gives me any info. The Flashpaq should also arrive today so I'll be changing the tire size as well. Fingers crossed. I fear one of the hub sensors may just be defective.

i saved my sensors from my old hubs just in case i had issues. you could try your old ones if you still have them. if not, i can ship you mine to see if it helps.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I really appreciate the replies, since I'm pretty stumped on this one!

@Big Blue - I have tried turning the ESC off (I called it "traction control" in my original post) and the symptoms are exactly the same.
@drm4633 - I do have the sensors from the old hubs, but thank you for the offer! I'm hesitant to "modify" the new hubs, since I don't want any problems if I do have to return them.

I also tried to change the tire size with the 3874 Flashpaq, but it made no difference in the speedometer! I even went all the way up to 42" tires, it said the settings were saved, but the speed was still about 6% off based off my GPS speed. The Flashpaq did report one DTC that would immediately come back after clearing, "U0024 - Low Speed CAN Comm Bus - Open". Unfortunately that is extremely vague and I haven't been able to find any good info on it. I also can't confirm if it existed before all my modifications.

So here's my plan at this point. I'm going to put the original wheels back on (OEM tires are still on the OEM rims) and see if the problem exists. If it goes away, I think I can assume the larger tires are causing the issue and take it to the dealer to have the speedo recalibrated. If the issue remains, I'm going to order another brand of hubs and swap them out. If the issue still persists, then I guess I'll have to go the EGR module route. I'll let you know what I find out!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman67 View Post
I really appreciate the replies, since I'm pretty stumped on this one!

@Big Blue - I have tried turning the ESC off (I called it "traction control" in my original post) and the symptoms are exactly the same.
@drm4633 - I do have the sensors from the old hubs, but thank you for the offer! I'm hesitant to "modify" the new hubs, since I don't want any problems if I do have to return them.

I also tried to change the tire size with the 3874 Flashpaq, but it made no difference in the speedometer! I even went all the way up to 42" tires, it said the settings were saved, but the speed was still about 6% off based off my GPS speed. The Flashpaq did report one DTC that would immediately come back after clearing, "U0024 - Low Speed CAN Comm Bus - Open". Unfortunately that is extremely vague and I haven't been able to find any good info on it. I also can't confirm if it existed before all my modifications.

So here's my plan at this point. I'm going to put the original wheels back on (OEM tires are still on the OEM rims) and see if the problem exists. If it goes away, I think I can assume the larger tires are causing the issue and take it to the dealer to have the speedo recalibrated. If the issue remains, I'm going to order another brand of hubs and swap them out. If the issue still persists, then I guess I'll have to go the EGR module route. I'll let you know what I find out!!
This causes me some concern; the fact that you can't recalibrate your speedometer to your larger tire size tells me you have some kind of issue going on with your ECU/PCM/Computer which could also explain why you're having the ABS issue as well as the low speed CAN Comm Bus DTC.

I'm going to try and research the DTC you're getting (U0024) and see what else I might be able to dig up.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-30-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Found out this much so far;

https://www.autocodes.com/u0024_dodge.html

U0024 DODGE - Low Speed CAN Communication Bus Open:

Repair Importance Level: 3/3
Repair Difficulty Level: 3/3

Possible causes:
CAN Communication Bus Open
Faulty Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) harness is open or shorted
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) circuit poor electrical connection

Click on the link below and read further, lots of good information in there on possible causes:

https://www.autocodes.com/articles/1...le-causes.html

I found this particularly interesting:

Harness is open or shorted:

It means that the wire(s) connected from and to the component (sensor, solenoids, actuator, etc.) is either open (cut, broken, disconnected) or shorted (touching other wires, components, body). "Open" and "short" are common electrical terms. An open is a break in a wire or at a connection. A short is an accidental connection of the wire to ground or another wire.

In simple electronics, this usually means something won't work at all. With complex electronics (such as ECMs or PCMs) this can sometimes mean something works, but not the way it's supposed to.

I hope this might help point you in the right direction.

Here is another DTC resource:

https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_co...work-codes.php

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 PM
Points: 1,728, Level: 24 Points: 1,728, Level: 24 Points: 1,728, Level: 24
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

4WD
Current Mileage: 150,000
the problem with your TPMS is the JK sensors. Just went through the same issue. Mounted the JK tires and wheels and the system always had issues. Friday had the correct sensors installed and everything works correctly. Good luck on the ABS issue.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks @Big Blue . Maybe step one will be to reseat all the wiring above the drivers front strut assembly that I had to move in order to install the lift. Maybe something was bumped loose in the process. I just wish I knew if that DTC existed before I put on the mods.

@JeepAddiction , thanks for the info. They must just be slightly different, it seems that two tires are checking in but two aren't. I have no idea why that would be, but I think the easiest thing to do is just replace all the sensors with the "correct" ones and be done with it. Where did you buy your sensors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in