Superlift and wheels finally installed! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,250
Garage
Superlift and wheels finally installed!

Hello all!

After months of slowly buying all the parts, I finally got the superlift, JBA uca's & bilstein shocks with new tires and wheels installed ....I have to say...It looks so much better than I expected it to! commanders should have come with a lift from factory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_155855 (1).jpg
Views:	384
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	33811  
jeep5253, mb1k and Stircrayzy like this.

06 4x4 5.7 Hemi Limited - QDII - 4" superlift - JBA stock wk/xk upper control arms - Bilstein 4600 shocks & stock springs front - superlift shocks & springs rear - Falken Wildpeak at3 285/70/17 tires - Pro Comp raven series 17x9 wheels - Flowmaster 40 series w/ resonator delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,021, Level: 94 Points: 24,021, Level: 94 Points: 24,021, Level: 94
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCommander View Post
Hello all!

After months of slowly buying all the parts, I finally got the superlift, JBA uca's & bilstein shocks with new tires and wheels installed ....I have to say...It looks so much better than I expected it to! commanders should have come with a lift from factory
Yep, if FCA/Jeep would have lifted them properly off the assembly line with at least a 2 inch spacer/leveling lift, their sales would have went through the roof & some version of the Commander would probably still be in production today.

Your XK looks great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-26-2019 at 07:47 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Points: 2,096, Level: 27 Points: 2,096, Level: 27 Points: 2,096, Level: 27
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

4WD
Current Mileage: 131,500
Garage
Wow those wheels are killer! Awesome looking Commander, they really look better lifted. It's too bad it's so expensive and difficult to lift them past 2 inches.

Denver, Colorado

- 2008 Commander Limited HEMI
- 1976 Jeep Wagoneer

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKTank View Post
Wow those wheels are killer! Awesome looking Commander, they really look better lifted. It's too bad it's so expensive and difficult to lift them past 2 inches.
It's pretty easy to get them to 3 inches of lift with just the 2 inch Rough Country lift and 265/70/17 tires; You just need the proper rims with the right amount of back-spacing & offset so you don't have any rubbing at full turn.

Getting 4 inches of lift or more is where it starts getting pretty expensive.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-26-2019 at 12:59 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Hello all!

Also @CaliforniaCommander; Here is some friendly advice & an aspect of the superlift that I feel doesn't get talked about enough on this forum - and that pertains to driving safety;

I'll tell you that you will feel the difference in the handling - just as I did, meaning that your Commander will now feel a little top heavy; It should be pretty easy for you to notice, once you get some seat time in that new set-up; I'll be very surprised if you don't feel it.

I'd suggest being much more careful and deliberate when turning & braking. Take the turns a little slower and you might consider giving yourself a little more stopping/braking distance than you normally would.

Depending on how you normally drive, you may have to permanently adjust your regular driving habits a bit.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-26-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Quote:
Hello all!

After months of slowly buying all the parts, I finally got the superlift, JBA uca's & bilstein shocks with new tires and wheels installed [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/JeepCommander_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] ....I have to say...It looks so much better than I expected it to! commanders should have come with a lift from factory [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/JeepCommander_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]
Very nice! Just got my OME HD installed. What tire size you running there?

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCommanderPayne View Post
Very nice! Just got my OME HD installed. What tire size you running there?
Running 285/70/17 - some rubbing at full turn & if you aggressively turn into a driveway it will rub a little on the wheel liner but nothing major

06 4x4 5.7 Hemi Limited - QDII - 4" superlift - JBA stock wk/xk upper control arms - Bilstein 4600 shocks & stock springs front - superlift shocks & springs rear - Falken Wildpeak at3 285/70/17 tires - Pro Comp raven series 17x9 wheels - Flowmaster 40 series w/ resonator delete
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Also @CaliforniaCommander; Here is some friendly advice & an aspect of the superlift that I feel doesn't get talked about enough on this forum - and that pertains to driving safety;

I'll tell you that you will feel the difference in the handling - just as I did, meaning that your Commander will now feel a little top heavy; It should be pretty easy for you to notice, once you get some seat time in that new set-up; I'll be very surprised if you don't feel it.

I'd suggest being much more careful and deliberate when turning & braking. Take the turns a little slower and you might consider giving yourself a little more stopping/braking distance than you normally would.

Depending on how you normally drive, you may have to permanently adjust your regular driving habits a bit.
Blue,

I purchased the commander with blown front shocks, cracked bushings on front diff. mounts, ball joints and bushings going bad on the upper and lower control arms...little to say I felt like a sea captain on a boat every time i went over a bump lol it had a terrible hoopty float. The superlift, bilsteins and pretty much new rubber everything I can honestly say it rides SO much better than stock. It does feel a little top heavy on turns but its still better than it was before! superlift actually corrects stock camber issues with the front end as the top of the wheels were slightly tilted outwards. the 0.01 it is now, is near perfect! and the gear ratio change from the egr module made low speed cruising much smoother. Definitely have to get used to stopping farther away as the distance did increase & it is unable to complete U turns at majority of the intersections without making a 3point turn lol so worth it though! I have yet to see another commander with a superlift in my day to day. The neighbor 2 doors down has a stock xk & I am now deliberately trying to park next to his
brattrw likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Blue,

I purchased the commander with blown front shocks, cracked bushings on front diff. mounts, ball joints and bushings going bad on the upper and lower control arms...little to say I felt like a sea captain on a boat every time i went over a bump lol it had a terrible hoopty float. The superlift, bilsteins and pretty much new rubber everything I can honestly say it rides SO much better than stock. It does feel a little top heavy on turns but its still better than it was before! superlift actually corrects stock camber issues with the front end as the top of the wheels were slightly tilted outwards. the 0.01 it is now, is near perfect! and the gear ratio change from the egr module made low speed cruising much smoother. Definitely have to get used to stopping farther away as the distance did increase & it is unable to complete U turns at majority of the intersections without making a 3point turn lol so worth it though! I have yet to see another commander with a superlift in my day to day. The neighbor 2 doors down has a stock xk & I am now deliberately trying to park next to his
The wider turning radius was something else I forgot to mention, but, I see you've already found that out.

Commanders are not a common sight anymore and of course, Super-lifted Commanders are quite rare, because most people just don't want to sink that kind of money into them - which I can understand to some degree.

Funny about trying to park next to your neighbor's XK - you'll have to snap a pic when you do.....LOL.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Points: 1,094, Level: 17 Points: 1,094, Level: 17 Points: 1,094, Level: 17
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 90,000
Garage
Quote:
Blue,

Just a bit of something about the turning radius. I too have the superlift, and after the install I ended up modifying my LCAs to get the turning radius back. It seems that the SL steering knuckles are beefier the stock (good thing) but that make them hit the turning stops earlier. I jacked the front up , took off the front wheels, and ground down the stop ears on the lower control arms until I had 1 1/2 turns of the steering each way (specs say 3.14 turns lock to lock). I would guess I took off around a 1/4" on the outside. Now I'm back to 98% of the turning radius of before. The wheel spacers change the radius a little. Could have done more grinding on the ears, but didn't want to go past OEM CV angles.

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in