Control Arm Replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
GTF
Points: 1,177, Level: 18 Points: 1,177, Level: 18 Points: 1,177, Level: 18
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 95k
Control Arm Replacement

Should be receiving my JBA upper control arms soon. I'm thinking I'll order some lower control arms and do them all at the same time. There's some popping and creaking etc, and I'm pretty sure everything is worn out up front.

I've been pretty busy with work lately and am kind of leaning toward having a shop install these mostly because I don't want to spend a day or two of my time off doing this, but have not decided.

Has anyone replaced all 4 at once? How did the job go, any gotchas? I know that I may have to drop the spring assembly to get the UCA bolts out, and that they can be reversed when reinstalled. I don't think my lower clevis bolt will be a problem, since I had it off last summer when I put the 2" RC lift in there.

Either way, I'm looking forward to curing the creaking and popping and getting those JBA control arms in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 19,443, Level: 88 Points: 19,443, Level: 88 Points: 19,443, Level: 88
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
Should be receiving my JBA upper control arms soon. I'm thinking I'll order some lower control arms and do them all at the same time. There's some popping and creaking etc, and I'm pretty sure everything is worn out up front.

I've been pretty busy with work lately and am kind of leaning toward having a shop install these mostly because I don't want to spend a day or two of my time off doing this, but have not decided.

Has anyone replaced all 4 at once? How did the job go, any gotchas? I know that I may have to drop the spring assembly to get the UCA bolts out, and that they can be reversed when reinstalled. I don't think my lower clevis bolt will be a problem, since I had it off last summer when I put the 2" RC lift in there.

Either way, I'm looking forward to curing the creaking and popping and getting those JBA control arms in there.
That's a good plan; when I had my super-lift installed, the guy at my 4x4 shop told me my front LCA's were shot, so, I had them replaced with a new set of Moog lower control arms while he was installing the lift.

I think it will save you some headaches down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 133,250
Garage
How long have you had the moog LCA's on for, blue? I will be replacing those after getting a custom u-joint front driveshaft done. Am currently deciding whether to get the moog or OEM LCA's

& +2 on changing out the LCA while you're in there and have most of it disassembled already

06 4x4 5.7 Hemi Limited - QDII - 4" superlift - JBA stock wk/xk upper control arms - Bilstein 4600 shocks & stock springs front - superlift shocks & springs rear - Falken Wildpeak at3 285/70/17 tires - Pro Comp raven series 17x9 wheels - Flowmaster 40 series w/ resonator delete

Last edited by CaliforniaCommander; 03-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 19,443, Level: 88 Points: 19,443, Level: 88 Points: 19,443, Level: 88
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCommander View Post
How long have you had the moog LCA's on for, blue? I will be replacing those after getting a custom u-joint front driveshaft done. Am currently deciding whether to get the moog or OEM LCA's

& +2 on changing out the LCA while you're in there and have most of it disassembled already
I had the Moog front LCA's installed the same time that they installed my Super-lift, so, since the end of October 2018 - or about 5 months ago.

You can see them pretty clearly in that link to the thread I posted, in your Superlift thread.

They seem like they're built very well and they definitely weren't cheap, so, I don't anticipate having any problems with them.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-28-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Points: 15,638, Level: 80 Points: 15,638, Level: 80 Points: 15,638, Level: 80
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
I will be replacing those after getting a custom u-joint front driveshaft done. Am currently deciding whether to get the moog or OEM LCA's

Cali Commander,
Please enlighten us all on where your custom u-joint front driveshaft came from and what is involved if anything to install.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Creek; 03-28-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in