combining 2" lift with 3.7L oil pan replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 79000
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to chaaz01
combining 2" lift with 3.7L oil pan replacement

I am about to do my 2: RC lift with new UCAs.

I just noticed during pre-inspection that my oil pan is a flaky rusty mess - not leaking yet - but amazed that it isn't :-/

Anyhow, i read about what others have done to lift/support the engine + remove the intake manifold for clearance?

I'm thinking that the cross member should be removed instead since i'm disassembling my front suspension anyhow and will need a complete alignment.

I'm thinking this has toe be the easier alternative to all of the other lifting/supporting/removing crap.

Any thoughts on this to confirm what i'm thinking would help here.

I'm about to drop this of at my mechanic to get it done - - wanting to be really clear about how i direct their costly efforts.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
I can't speak much in terms of the 3.7, but I felt the same way when I had to drop the pan on my 5.7.
FSM said the ONLY way was to remove the front diff/axle assembly and raise the engine 6 inches.
I THOUGHT I could outsmart the FSM and "make it work".....nope. Long story short, I now own a fender supported engine hoist and I am a master of dropping the front axle and the front suspension disassembly that is required to do so...

The main reason is a frame cross member that goes across under the engine. The same thing that the steering rack is bolted to. The pan gets wedged between that and the transmission and won't drop more than an inch or two.

Again....that was for the 5.7 engine. But if you're reading about other people still needing to lift the 3.7, there's probably no way around it....

Harbor Freight's engine hoist was only $70~ (fender supported, not the cherry-picker crane type) and actually works really well. They got a 25% off coupon right now for Easter Weekend.....FYI

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Need to get it on a dyno....

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-20-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:41 PM
Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

4WD
Current Mileage: 125,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
I can't speak much in terms of the 3.7, but I felt the same way when I had to drop the pan on my 5.7.
FSM said the ONLY way was to remove the front diff/axle assembly and raise the engine 6 inches.
I THOUGHT I could outsmart the FSM and "make it work".....nope. Long story short, I now own a fender supported engine hoist and I am a master of dropping the front axle and the front suspension disassembly that is required to do so...

The main reason is a frame cross member that goes across under the engine. The same thing that the steering rack is bolted to. The pan gets wedged between that and the transmission and won't drop more than an inch or two.

Again....that was for the 5.7 engine. But if you're reading about other people still needing to lift the 3.7, there's probably no way around it....

Harbor Freight's engine hoist was only $70~ (fender supported, not the cherry-picker crane type) and actually works really well. They got a 25% off coupon right now for Easter Weekend.....FYI

How tough is the front axle to drop? It may make pulling my 5.7 easier. I also may have to drop the oil pan to get the engine to rotate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 Commander Limited Hemi 5.7 QDII on Amsoil. Trail Dash 2, 2" RC lift, 1.25" whl spacers, 265/70R17 Pirelli Scorpion AT+

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:33 PM

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenjays View Post
How tough is the front axle to drop? It may make pulling my 5.7 easier. I also may have to drop the oil pan to get the engine to rotate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kind of a PITA, but I was always working by myself on a creeper with the front end up on jack-stands.
The worst part is the upper mount bolt on the axle, right above the pinion shaft. you gotta get pretty creative with extensions and such. The front suspension to remove the CV axles can be a pain if you have a bunch of seized bolts...
If you have the FSM, really just follow the instructions.

Good thing is if you are already removing most of the front suspension for your lift, you've done part of the job already!

Basically:
--Remove front drive shaft. Easier if you remove the transfer-case end first, then with the front end off the ground you can spin the drive shaft to make getting to the pinion shaft bolts a little easier as there isn't much room. I usually had the transmission cross-brace already off for other things (tranny supported with a jack) and that gave you a little more room and less trying to find the perfect angle to get the shaft out.

--Remove CV axles. This can go one of two ways....but it's a little involved. You'll have to almost completely disassemble the front suspension on both sides- Pull the wheels, brake calipers, rotors, disconnect the steering tie rod and the sway bar. I think the manual says to disconnect the upper control arm from the steering knuckle, but I had better luck removing the lower but you have to get creative supporting everything. Watch for the ABS sensor wire- i just removed the sensor entirely to avoid any risk. Take off the main axle bolt and then slide the knuckle and wheel bearing combo off the CV axle. This might be easier said than done depending on the condition of the metals and possible seizing.
Do this on BOTH sides. From here I was able to cheat a little on the passenger side since the CV axle is longer. You have to pry or "knock" the CVs out of the axle housing. There's a spring "c" clip on the splines so it all just "snaps" in, basically. You can't PULL on it from the wheel hub end. Just get a good pry bar and find a purchase point near the axle housing or I used a dead-blow and a couple of good smacks on the pry bar as a punch of sorts and the CV pops out.
The CV goes through the lower Strut mount....on the driver's side you have to remove the bolt that holds the lower strut to the lower control arm to get enough clearance for the CV to slide all the way out of the axle housing.

--Once the CVs are clear from the housing, just support the axle (I used a lift right under the pumpkin) and remove the 3 mounting bolts. And it'll all drop out. Keep in mind the vent hose and the 2 wire connector if you've got the QD-II with the electronic limited slips.

I think the system I figured out for the 3 mount bolts was like this-
Remove the Passenger side upper bolt and LOOSEN the front mount (the 2 bolts that go into the frame). This will allow you to wiggle the axle around and give you a little bit more room for the pinion bolt. Dont let the axle drop too far or you'll just bind that bolt up. From here I got creative with a socket on the front end of the bolt (or nut) and had a long (like 2ft?) of extension paralleled how the driveshaft went to get to the rear half of the bolt. Pretty much the same path/angle to remove the pinion drive shaft bolts.

So yea....not fun, but not the worst thing....

Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

4WD
Current Mileage: 125,000
Garage
Thanks so much, Wombler. I am wanting to do a spacer lift so I guess I'll get that ordered! As much work as this is going to be, I'm looking forward to learning how this Jeep fits together, or comes apart!

06 Commander Limited Hemi 5.7 QDII on Amsoil. Trail Dash 2, 2" RC lift, 1.25" whl spacers, 265/70R17 Pirelli Scorpion AT+
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 AM

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenjays View Post
Thanks so much, Wombler. I am wanting to do a spacer lift so I guess I'll get that ordered! As much work as this is going to be, I'm looking forward to learning how this Jeep fits together, or comes apart!

Awesome! let us know how it goes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in