Lift This! Noob Needs Help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,604, Level: 23 Points: 1,604, Level: 23 Points: 1,604, Level: 23
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lift This! Noob Needs Help

Well you guys did a great job helping me out with tire info I figured I would come back to the well for lift recommendations.

The Jeep in question is a 2006 Commander 5.7. I want to put on a 2" lift but I have no clue where to start. Like...

What kind of lift?
Do I need to get anything else when I order a lift kit?
I am putting 245/70/17's in the next week or so and didn't know if a 2" lift would make the tires look small?
Can I install the lift kit or should a shop do it?

I do have plenty of mechanical experience and am very proficient in the garage but my knowledge of suspension/lifts is not even on the charts.

Any and all help/recommendations is welcomed.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
I don't see the full advantage of a lift without bigger tires ... I'd hold off on the tires unitll you get the lift done.

I feel the main advantage of a lift is to put bigger tires on to get more ground clearance ...

Theoreticly with a 2" lift you can put on tires with larger RADIUS of 2" therefore gaining 2 " more ground clerance (at the axles) and 4" of body lift (compared to the ground)

One thing to mention .... If anyone of a smaller stature drives the truck daily, will they be OK climbing in and out, if the truck is 4" farther off the gorund? ... park it up on 4" of wood blocking and get them to try (if that's an issue for you)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I like the advice that Yeggster gave regarding getting in and out of a lifted XK. In your tire thread you said your wife drove it mostly and hardly ever saw mud or snow. Does she or you want to go off road? I know some people do lifts because they just like the look of it and it does look good lifted but it is harder to get in and out.

I put on a 2 inch lift so that I could get taller tires. I put on 32 inch tires. I did all this in order to get more ground clearance. I'm happy with it but it is harder for older people and small people to get in and out. In fact I'm 6 foot, 58 year old and I notice the change.

Search or read through the posts. There are some how to's and there is a sticky at the top where folks post what mods they have done and report rubbing issues if any. I jobbed out the install but several folks do their own installs. Need spring compressor.

With 245/70/17's I don't think you'll have any rubbing to worry about. They are only 1 inch taller diameter than stock. Those don't really need a lift to fit. The tire gives you 1/2 inch greater ground clearance.

A lift may not be necessary or beneficial to you based on your use.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

A couple of guys put the Old Man Emu "kit" on and they appear very happy with the result. Not only does it give you a 2 inch lift but also a much better suspension. Worth looking at in my opinion.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,604, Level: 23 Points: 1,604, Level: 23 Points: 1,604, Level: 23
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

You guys have a great point. Entry/exit is something to look at but it should not be a problem. She used to have an Expedition and it was no problem. The main reason for the lift is for looks. My wife (an Alabama girl) loves the look and said she might like it for her ride. It still would be use mainly for concrete (sigh) but I told her I would check into it. She loves some of the rides posted here with the tube bumbers, lifts, roof racks, etc...So I am thinking if I start mod-ing it she would be more apt to take it on offroad/trail rides.

If you guys were to put a lift on this what would you recommend?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgLeg View Post
You guys have a great point. Entry/exit is something to look at but it should not be a problem. She used to have an Expedition and it was no problem. The main reason for the lift is for looks. My wife (an Alabama girl) loves the look and said she might like it for her ride. It still would be use mainly for concrete (sigh) but I told her I would check into it. She loves some of the rides posted here with the tube bumbers, lifts, roof racks, etc...So I am thinking if I start mod-ing it she would be more apt to take it on offroad/trail rides.

If you guys were to put a lift on this what would you recommend?
Well, in that case, I say go for it. I have Rusty's 2 inch lift with stock shocks. I like it. It retails for $200 but I bought it slightly used for a little less. But many folks are happy with other brands. They'll chime in I'm sure.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

+1 on the Rusty's lift!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

I have a 2" Rocky Road lift and so far I'm happy with it. Along with my larger tires I am 4" taller as Yeggster described. The RR lift is ~$200 new (plus shipping) but I got mine used from another forum member for less.

I have very limited mechanical skills and installed the lift myself with little difficulty. It took me about 8 hours total and I did it mostly with the tools I already had in my garage. I would recommend a torque wrench ($25 at walmart) and a set of deep sockets if you don't already have them. Jack stands are also a must (also ~$20 at walmart). A spring compressor would have made the job easier, although I did mine without one. If you are replacing the shocks then it's a must, otherwise you might just need a hacksaw or grinder to help get a couple of the bolts out of the stock strut assembly.

Final piece of advice is to read the instructions carefully and familiarize yourself with this forum content (particularly the thread on installing the Old Man Emu lift - which is helpful regardless of which lift you get). Here's the link:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5715

Good luck!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I have the Rocky Road and like it, Check out the lift thread for more information.

CLICK HERE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I have the Terraflex installed at the dealer (because I'm not mechanically inclined), and I like it.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in