lifting 2007 commander 3.5" - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,154, Level: 28 Points: 2,154, Level: 28 Points: 2,154, Level: 28
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

lifting 2007 commander 3.5"

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I spent the last two days reading old posting about this issue but could not reach an answer.

here are my question and I appreciate if someone can help me:

I'm trying to lift my commander with this lift kit:
3.5" X Factor System Lift Kit for Commander XK by Rock Krawler
http://www.xtremeterrain.com/35inchx...commander.aspx

1) I need to install good off road tires after the lift, what is the max I can go with keeping in mind that I need the tire to fit in the spare place, and also to avoid any rubbing or trimming in the front?

2) will I need a wheel spacer? why? and if yes, which size?

3) what are the best tires for sand off roading?

4) would you advise to change the rims?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Lots of questions for someone who spent the last two days researching those things! All of those questions are answered many times... However your main concern should be: Can I put a 3.5 lift on the XK?

And you had better research that before you put the cart in front of the horse on spacers, tires etc.

No one here has installed that lift, but anyone with more that 2.5 inches has issues with the EPS system and needed the control module to get their sensors to react correctly, does Rock Crawler have such a module?

IF you lift it you can go with any 32" tire you want if you add spacers and do some trimming. If you do not want to trim or add spacers then you need a smaller tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosnims View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I spent the last two days reading old posting about this issue but could not reach an answer.

here are my question and I appreciate if someone can help me:

I'm trying to lift my commander with this lift kit:
3.5" X Factor System Lift Kit for Commander XK by Rock Krawler
http://www.xtremeterrain.com/35inchx...commander.aspx

1) I need to install good off road tires after the lift, what is the max I can go with keeping in mind that I need the tire to fit in the spare place, and also to avoid any rubbing or trimming in the front?

2) will I need a wheel spacer? why? and if yes, which size?

3) what are the best tires for sand off roading?

4) would you advise to change the rims?

thanks
First off if you even cosider running this setup i'd highly recommend talking to GetLost4x4 and order a pair of Uni-ball UCA's.

1.) For the size of lift you are refering to I would imagine you would still be limited to using a 265/70R17 which is the normal size tires the members on this forum are running. However if you are running a rear hitch receive you wot beable to fit that size tire down there unless it was deflated which will cause your TPMS to go crazy.

2.) If you run the size specified above then you will need to run spacers. If you were to run a BFG All Terrain in a 245/70R17 or a similar tire to mine you wouldnt need spacers.

3.) There are many tires out there made for running on the sand. I have heard good things about both the Mickey Thompson ATZ and also the Super Swamper Trxus STS for sand riding. I have never used either tire so i dont have any first hand knowledge.

4.) I would recommend keeping the stock wheels but thats just my opinion. 99% of the wheels out there have approx. 4.5 inches of back spacing which again in my opinion is way too much unless your running a huge rig like Phunkeydude. Then its better to have the wider stance for numerious reasons. Plus on a big lifted rig like that it looks better.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Points: 2,007, Level: 27 Points: 2,007, Level: 27 Points: 2,007, Level: 27
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

I don't know this for sure but when I was looking a lifts I feel like the Rock Krawler lift states 3.5 inch lift as a selling point. From what I could gather its the same heighth as the rocky road for example. RR is 3.5" lift in the front and states it is a 2.25 lift because it sells by rear heighth. Same lift all around but different places measured from...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Do you have a trailer hitch? If so, that will limit your tire size considerably, considering you want to limit your tire size to what will fit in the normal spare tire location. Also, your choice to not cut wheel well plastic liners or cut back on the pinch welds in the wheel well will also limit the size of the tire.

It's up to you, but my reason to lift was so I could fit a larger tire. Tires are what give you ground clearance on suspension parts and differentials. The spring and strut spacer lifts certainly lift the rest of the vehicle but axles are only lifted with taller tires.

Also, if you have not read this yet, check out this poll on tires, lifts and spacers. I think it would help you narrow down some of your questions.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2060

Last edited by GPintheMitten; 01-25-2009 at 11:29 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Send a message via Skype™ to TYMAC
Welcome to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Tags
3.5" , lift kit , rock krawler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in