Just increasing ground clearance; minimal off-roading. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,901, Level: 33 Points: 2,901, Level: 33 Points: 2,901, Level: 33
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Just increasing ground clearance; minimal off-roading.

I have a 2006 XK Limited wtih the 5.7 HEMI. I do very little off-roading, but the winters here in WV get bad (like this week!) and I would like some more ground clearance. I've read dozens of posts about what lifts you all are using, tire size, spacers, etc. But I haven't found anything for someone like me who isn't interested in off-roading--just getting higher ground clearance. If there is a thread for this somewhere, please direct me, but I couldn't find one. So here's my issue:

If I stick with the stock rims and put a 2" lift kit on it with no spacers, is a 245/75R17 the tallest tire I can put on it without ANY rubbing?

I did the math (correctly I hope) and it looks like that only increases the diameter by about 0.7 inches. This is my first time into this topic, but that seems like a lot of money, time, and effort for less than an inch of clearance! Someone please help clear this up for me. This isn't going to be cheap and I want to make the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgpgmr View Post
I have a 2006 XK Limited wtih the 5.7 HEMI. I do very little off-roading, but the winters here in WV get bad (like this week!) and I would like some more ground clearance. I've read dozens of posts about what lifts you all are using, tire size, spacers, etc. But I haven't found anything for someone like me who isn't interested in off-roading--just getting higher ground clearance. If there is a thread for this somewhere, please direct me, but I couldn't find one. So here's my issue:

If I stick with the stock rims and put a 2" lift kit on it with no spacers, is a 245/75R17 the tallest tire I can put on it without ANY rubbing?

I did the math (correctly I hope) and it looks like that only increases the diameter by about 0.7 inches. This is my first time into this topic, but that seems like a lot of money, time, and effort for less than an inch of clearance! Someone please help clear this up for me. This isn't going to be cheap and I want to make the right decision.
A 245/75R17 is approx. 31.5 inches tall which is 2 inches larger then the stock Fortera's. So even with a 2 inch suspension lift and these tires you are really only going to gain an inch of clearance under the axles. Maybe a little more up front due to the way the spacers provide lift on the IFS.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM

I forgot to mention that between the lift and tires youll gain a few inches from the ground to the belly of the commander also. Its just the clearance gained under the axles is minimal.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:

Hi RPG Programmer (did I guess right?),

(Edit: It took me so long to get this long answer out that I see 07JeepXK already addressed this, so don't read this as thinking he didn't answer it right. His posts weren't there when I started my post).

Several points to cover I think-- first when you say no rubbing, is that no rubbing without trimming the wheel well plastic liners and hammering down or cutting the excess sheet metal on the pinch welds or are you willing to do that?

Second, I think your tire math is wrong (or you meant radius not diameter). Here's a discounttire page with a handy calculator:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Stock tires are 29.5 inch diameter, 245/75/17's are 31.5, so you get half of the difference in diameter in lift which is 1 inch +_ a tenth depending on the actual tire.

The tires will set the ground clearance of any hardware hard connected to the wheels, like the rear differential. The 2 inch lift installed on the rear springs and the front struts will not lift the those items that are hard connected to the wheels. However, the suspension lift will raise the rest of the vehicle, giving better clearance on the floor pans, oil pans, muffler, skid plates and everthing else under there that tends to grab deep snow and vice versa. Make sense?

So if you put on a 2 inch suspension lift and 31.5 inch tires, then for the most part, you'll get about 3 inches better clearance for snow, minus the stuff I mentioned earlier, like the rear diff. Now if you were trying to clear rocks, you would need to pick your line through to avoid hitting the diff on a high rock and you would only have 1 inch more than stock, so it would be a big concern. But considering you are plowing through snow, and your goal is merely to get through deep snow without getting stuck, you don't have to worry so much about the parts that were only lifted 1 inch.

So, you have to decide if that is worth it or not.

I'm not sure if the 245/75/17's can be used without spacers and without trimming. Maybe. But 245/70's can be used without spacers and without trimming. I put on 255/75/17's (32 inch tires) but I needed the wheel spacers and trimming.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GPintheMitten; 01-28-2009 at 11:24 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Yes my tire math was wrong ... figures. ha That tire calculator link was great! You're right, I'm not willing to cut, trim, hammer or anything of the such on my new car. I'm FAR from being mechanically inclined and so I know I'd mess something up pretty bad! All I know how to do is basic maintenance stuff because I don't trust the crooked dealerships unless I absolutely have to.

So if I go with a 245/70R17 would I even need the lift kit since that's only an increase of 1 inch in diameter?

Oh and yes, it is "RPG Programmer". Been doin' it for years and years.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yes my tire math was wrong ... figures. ha That tire calculator link was great! You're right, I'm not willing to cut, trim, hammer or anything of the such on my new car. I'm FAR from being mechanically inclined and so I know I'd mess something up pretty bad! All I know how to do is basic maintenance stuff because I don't trust the crooked dealerships unless I absolutely have to.

So if I go with a 245/70R17 would I even need the lift kit since that's only an increase of 1 inch in diameter?

You dont need a lift for a 245/70R17 however your really not going to gain much ground clearance at all.

You could always buy some 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVO's like I did and not have to worry about cutting/trimming anything. THey are 31 inches tall and dont require wheel spacers. Just a 2 inch lift.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:

You would not NEED the lift for the tire, but the lift would add to the clearance of the 'bottom' of the vehicle as mentioned. And tire tread and type makes a big difference for snow. If you want to keep your costs down, I think you would be fine with no lift and good tires. I really like the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I'm going to run them year-round.

Back in about 1977 I did some RPGII programming and some FORTRAN, but then did mostly COBOL for quite awhile. Then did some Visual Basic. Lots of various database design and programming, IDSII and various SQL products. I also did a lot of systems analysis and design. Installed a few local networks. Retired since 2002.

P.S. I think you have the QuadraDriveII (QDII) 4wd system which is very capable.

Last edited by GPintheMitten; 01-28-2009 at 02:23 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 PM

He sure does have QD II. Wanna trade axles?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Yea, the QD II is kinda wasted on somebody like me, but I'm glad it's there anyway. ha ha Okay I think I'm gonna go with the 2" lift and 255/70R17 tires. That should give me about 2 3/4 more in the belly and 3/4 more in the axles which should be fine. Like I said, I'm only doing it for bad weather and for visiting some relatives in the mountains who don't know it's the 21st century yet.

Looks like it'll cost me a little over 1K but I think it will be worth it. Thanks again!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Yea, the QD II is kinda wasted on somebody like me, but I'm glad it's there anyway. ha ha Okay I think I'm gonna go with the 2" lift and 255/70R17 tires. That should give me about 2 3/4 more in the belly and 3/4 more in the axles which should be fine. Like I said, I'm only doing it for bad weather and for visiting some relatives in the mountains who don't know it's the 21st century yet.

Looks like it'll cost me a little over 1K but I think it will be worth it. Thanks again!!
Good choice! Do you know what brand lift you are going to purchase. I highly recommend the 2 inch BDS kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in