Just lifted - some handling problems - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Just lifted - some handling problems

I just had my 2.25" RR lift installed at the Jeep dealer last Tuesday. Their alignment machine went down that day and they were able to complete a front end alignment. Due to my schedule, I was unable to go back as of this post. When I look at my XK from the front, it appears that there is quite a bit of positive camber. What I have noticed is that when a cross a patch of bumpy road, instead of motoring through the bumps smoothly, the tires seem to almost bounce or skip and the steering wheel has a loose, almost out of control feeling for a second or two. This is further exaggerated if you are at highway speeds or cornering in any fashion. What I am wondering is if this is a characteristic of having the truck lifted or if it may be from the alignment issue? Also, will the handling be improved when I go to new wheels with less of an offset for a wider stance and somewhat larger tires? Any comments would be appreciated.

With all that said, I am still excited about the new look. I can't wait for new wheels and tires! Here are a couple of pictures post lift:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Points: 20,417, Level: 90 Points: 20,417, Level: 90 Points: 20,417, Level: 90
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 170000
Garage
I had mine lifted a few months ago, too, and have experienced a handling change.

When I hit a pothole or bump in the road on one side of the vehicle, it seems to briefly (fractions of a second) lurch rather critically to the side. It's not caused a problem as of yet, as I have never lost control of the vehicle. It almost seems to be a side effect caused by having a higher center of gravity.

If anyone can explain this as normal, please let me know. I've been tempted to call the tire shop up and ask if it's possible that something isn't correct.

2007 Commander Sport 3.7L V6 QT1
18x9 Fuel Couplers -12 offset
285/60/18 Toyo Open Country A/Ts
Rough Country 2" Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnATrail View Post
What I am wondering is if this is a characteristic of having the truck lifted or if it may be from the alignment issue? Also, will the handling be improved when I go to new wheels with less of an offset for a wider stance and somewhat larger tires? Any comments would be appreciated
Your situation is caused by the alignment, once you get that taken care of you will ride the same as you did prior to the lift.

Wheels and tires can change the ride but that will depend on the tread style you purchase.

The wider stance will help make it a little more stable but you will not notice it during normal driving (straight).

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

I am glad to hear that. While I consider myself to have steely nerves, I have to admit that the feeling of having no control for a second would take a little getting used to, especially when towing. I also noticed today that when I make a turn, the tires seem to squeal a little and that did not happen prior to having the lift installed. Commanderfan, did you have a front end alignment after your lift was installed?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderFan View Post
I had mine lifted a few months ago, too, and have experienced a handling change.

When I hit a pothole or bump in the road on one side of the vehicle, it seems to briefly (fractions of a second) lurch rather critically to the side. It's not caused a problem as of yet, as I have never lost control of the vehicle. It almost seems to be a side effect caused by having a higher center of gravity.

If anyone can explain this as normal, please let me know. I've been tempted to call the tire shop up and ask if it's possible that something isn't correct.
I think that might be from your tire upgrade
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberCommander View Post
I think that might be from your tire upgrade
What do you mean? There's a lot of things in play regarding a tire upgrade... balancing, alignment, a mistake somewhere, etc...

Rough Country 2" Lift

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

AT tires are made of thinker rubber which can cause more bounce or a rough ride.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 PM

4WD
Garage
It's a smooth ride, though, not really so much more "bouncy". Just the severe lurching when I hit a bump... jutting to the side and then correcting... steering wheel and everything.

Rough Country 2" Lift

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I had a realignment the same day I had the lift put on, along with larger tires. You really need to alignment after the lift regardless of whether you change tires or not.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM

4WD
Garage
Well they "told" me they did an alignment, but it still pulls to the right quite a bit, which tells me they either didn't do it, or they did and somehow botched it.

I'm gonna take it in and get it re-aligned, and see what happens.

Rough Country 2" Lift

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in