ROUGH COUNTRY 2" info - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ROUGH COUNTRY 2" info

i know quite a few fellas on the site are running this lift...i tried to search it and cant find anything about reviews on it just install info...

can those who have this lift shed some light on the pros and cons and the real world "reveiws" setups that work and setups you would change

any input would be great thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

I love the lift. No problems here at all. There is no noticable difference in ride or handling. There are only 3 things that I think the instructions should address, mainly for those who are tackling this kind of project for the first time.
First , the left rear spacer can be a little troublesome to install because the trailing arm won't lower enough because it hits the gas tank shield. Removal of the shield and maybe lowering the tank a little would probably be the proper thing to do. Or you can just use a little muscle and a little more cussing and get it in that way.
Second, the use of a spring compressor on the rear springs helps out a lot.
And third, you should get an alignment after the install.
Nothing major, just little things that I noticed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%

I think it is a great lift. I chose it due to the failures I have read about with the poly spacers. I did not want to have to deal with that. I like the fact that it is solid. If I get this truck into a situation that causes this lift to fail, I'm sure I have bigger issues to worry about.
I have only had it installed for a couple of weeks. So far, there have been no issues what so ever. I like the 1/4" rusty's spacer installed on the front as well. Adding that spacer levels out the stance and prevents one from having to grind down the studs on the top of the strut assy.
The ride is stock, personally, I like that. We tend to make some long distance trips from time to time and not getting beat up is a good thing.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Points: 1,124, Level: 18 Points: 1,124, Level: 18 Points: 1,124, Level: 18
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

I have it. Like Smitty1970 says, the left rear will make you put the kids to bed early.

I ground down the tops of the strut studs(2mm) due to the fact of them being too long. they were not seating properly once tightened.

Took my XK down to OBX last w/e and was hitting 25-30 through the sand, bottomming out the suspension, no complaints.

Mine was missing a few mounting nuts, they quickly shipped them out.

not the best quality control, but they the kit works well, better quality would not improve the kit any.

Recommended. Rides stock
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

this is all good to hear...now but "trimming" the strut studs what does it all mean bassel?...any one have pics of what needs to be trimmed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Basically, the studs are on top of the strut. The spacer goes on top of the strut with the studs going up into the spacer. With the spacer only being about 1 3/4 inches thick, the studs bottom out and you cant get them tight. You just have to grind off a little of the studs to fit. The studs are still long enough that if you have to remove the lift, you will be able to bolt the strut back in and be back to stock. Sorry, I dont have any pics.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

I only had to grind off the coned tip of the strut mount studs. I did a pic write up when I installed the lift (first one to have it).

I'm a firm believer in Loc-tite and used it on every bolt that was installed or touched.

You will have some positive camber that can't be adjusted out without excentric ball joints, but those usually mess the castor up in the process (not sure if they're even available for the XK). The lift gave me almost 1.5 degrees extra toe in per side that is really easy for an alignment shop to do, or you can use the redneck measure the front/back of the tire approach. I have an alignment rack and hoist at work so I just threw it up and fixed it there. Either way, get it aligned after the install to avoid shredding your front tires.

I've got over 12k miles on mine. No issues what-so-ever. I need to upgrade/replace my shocks, but that's normal. Best of all, it's one of the cheapest spacer lifts out there.

Last edited by BlackonBlack; 07-15-2009 at 01:09 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

ok i understand what needs to be done now....thank you all sooo much for the help and suggestions...the rough country is what im gunna get.

i will check out you thread BlackonBlack...

i was looking into the BDS but the distributor for them here wants $390 for the lift and 5 weeks for delivery!!!!

i talked to rough country and it works out to $172.99 canadian for the lift and with shipping it will be no more than 200.00 that being said it is a budget lift and still provides great quality and steel not poly which is a huge selling point for me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in