Ride / Sway - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Points: 154, Level: 3 Points: 154, Level: 3 Points: 154, Level: 3
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ride / Sway

Hello Everyone,

I need some assistance in regards to my new 2008 4.7 Commander. First, let me denote that I love this vehicle. The only issue I have is that it seems to ride too soft and seems to sway from side-to-side when going over even light terrain or when pulling my 5 x 8 high-boy trailer. Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

I don't have enough auto knowledge to understand why this happens. I don't want to make it a total off-road vehicle, because I like the fact that it rides nice on standard roads/highways, but am wondering if it is due to the OEM springs, shocks, or sway-bars or something. Can someone provide me some advice on how to correct this without thousands of $$ investments. I really appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Maybe some polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links would help you out. Ill try to find a website that sells them for the Commander.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for responding to my post.

It should be quite obvious that I am a real 'newbie' whith these kind of things.

I want everyone to know that my Jeep is brand new and I am not aware of any suspension problems, oither than maybe the truck is just made this way? I had an 06 X-terra before and it seemed really 'beefy' in terms of its suspension. Kind of hard with a mild 'bumpy' feel when driving, but that thing could take a lick'n ! I don't want such a 'stiff' ride like it, but maybe something more subtle or something between what it is now and an X-terra.

I mean where does one start? What are the type of parts that can be installed to make the suspension more study so it does not sway from driver to passenger side-to-side and maybe take away the up-and-down excessive give? Really sorry here, but I am an IT guy and this is the only way I can express what my Commander does.

I thought by asking some basic questions to some of you experts, that maybe someone could just say, the OEM struts could be replaced with this type of strut and it provide the following improvements, or add height to the front and replace the OEM shocks for these parts and it would improve this and that.

Thanks so much!

I keep seing blgs about 'raising' the front-end height of the Commander.....what is all this about.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I keep seing blgs about 'raising' the front-end height of the Commander.....what is all this about.
Some people don't like the forward "rake" Of the Commander and prefer that it have a level look. Personally, I like the stock look.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I want everyone to know that my Jeep is brand new and I am not aware of any suspension problems, oither than maybe the truck is just made this way?

I mean where does one start? What are the type of parts that can be installed to make the suspension more study so it does not sway from driver to passenger side-to-side and maybe take away the up-and-down excessive give?
I am not sure that you should have any problems with the stock set up on a brand new XK, but if it is not what you like you can add stiffer shocks, springs, struts, etc. but I would drive it like it is for a while and get the feel before you change too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

jeep5253 and a49erfan,

Thanks alot for your responses. Let's say I wanted to gradually make some changes, what would you both suggest as a starting point related to my "shock and awe" thoughts surrounding my Commander? Start with stiffer shocks, springs or struts? In order or what would you guys do 1, 2, 3?

What do you purchase and install to level the front-end? I read some initial blogs and apparantly some people raise them to various height levels 1, 2, 4 inches etc. What things would level the front-end and not cost alot to install? Besides the aesthetics of raising the front-end does it have any real-world application pluses? Like better off-roading etc?

Have a good one. Pretty sad, I can fix darn near any computer, but don't know 'jack' about cars. Unfortunatley, some of you guys have some very cool rides (Commanders) which motivates me to ask the dumb question to educate myself. Appreciate the help.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I still think that you should start with polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links. I feel that this will get the results that you are looking for. Also it would be a lot cheaper then swapping out shocks and/or other parts.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

polyurethane

[quote=07JeepXK;127633]polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links.
Definantely start with the sway bar polyurethane kits front and rear. If you decide to do shocks go with either Rancho,Pro Comp,or monroe Reflex, all three are better than stock chrysler shocks and a couple have adjustable settings for stiffness.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Regarding your original sway/ride question....
Yes, your previous vehicle was stiffly sprung and that likely was because the manufacturer anticipated a higher percentage of off road use.
The Commander is more of a luxo type off road capable vehicle.
That being said, the ride will seem somewhat soft,(dare I say sloppy) in comparison only.
As 49er stated, and wisely so, drive it and enjoy it a bit before the mod bug gets ahold of you.
This will give you more time to determine which characteristics you like and those you just can't stand.
Regarding mods members have done, remember these were for our personalization efforts and each member has a slightly different vision of what they are looking for.
I don't recommend a change just because one of us thought is was the answer to our prayers.
Spend some time thinking about your intended usage and then decide if that usage may require a modification.
Take baby steps while making changes or you may find you created a mirror image of what you traded in.

My thoughts,
Rob
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Gentleman,

Thank you for the input. You have offered some wise thoughts about approaching modifications. As a computer guy and as a possibly personality flaw, my world is all about troubleshooting and correcting inconsistencies, no matter how minute they might appear to others.......it is difficult to let go of an idea or an appearance of a problem.....I like correcting things that bother me. That being said, I don't know how long I can drive my Commander without correcting what I perceive as an excessive amount of side-to-side motion while driving on dirt / unpaved and uneven surfaces. The ‘give’ front and rear is secondary, but also bothering me. I don't intend on going off-roading here in the states, but I will be taking my Commander to Germany in the near future with a prospect of doing more off-road driving or being presented with more windy, mountainous, and trail-like roads. I lived there for numerous years, and tend to migrate to the scenic off the beaten path type of roads. I would like to make the necessary changes before I go and because I am pretty confident that obtaining the correct things to make the modification would be difficult to find and/or too expensive ,,,the dollar against the euro exchange rate sucks big time.

Could someone please provide me a website to polyurethane sway bar bushings and end kits- front and rear? I think I will try this first.

-Any thoughts on the polyurethane versus metal?
-Any idea on a general cost to have them installed? Does one go to a Jeep
Chrysler dealership or some off-road place to have them installed?

Gloisell offered some great advice about adjustable shocks. How about a website for this too? I would not normally ask so much, but I don’t even know what to look for and/or even know what the part look like ): This will be second.

I looked at my Commander allot last night. I did not realize how prominent the forward "rake" was…..okay, now I understand why some people raise the front-end so it is level against the rear. Now, that I see this difference, it has to go too sometime in the future. How do I get started information ally? Let’s say I want to keep my stock tires/rims, but want to level the front end, what kit would do the trick?

I am really sorry for being so ignorant of these things. With your help, expertise and research on my part, I will get up too speed on these types of things.

My ‘logic’ is that sure, your Commander mods were warranted to personalize or satisfy your needs, but at least you had enough experience and/or knowledge to correct what bothered you. I don’t have that luxury right now. Besides, I want to turn my Commander into a personal hobby. Even with these issues, I love the darn thing. I haven’t been so excited about driving a vehicle in a long time. So, making it perfect for me, would in turn make me enjoy it that much more.

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in