Jeep Commander Forum banner

Passenger side exhaust manifold question

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  johnc 
#1 ·
I am in the process of trying to fix an exhaust leak (typical sound as I accelerate, does not go away). It appears to be coming from the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. I couldn't say for sure, and after removing the heat shield, I do not see indications on the gasket outside the manifold that it is leaking anywhere.

My question/comments are as follows:

Could it be the connection to the pipes from the manifold, as I only based my assumption on the sound from that general area?

Would it be visible from this point in the process? None of the bolts are broken, but may be loose.

How much crack have you guys smoked to take on this task? Lol I don't see how in the world I can get to the bolts, at least not enough to effectively remove them. Tire, well cover removed. Strut tower/sheet metal is directly in the way.

Should I tighten the bolts and pipe connection and check before I proceed? Don't want to venture too far before make sure it's the manifold leaking.

Cant post pics now, sorry. Just know I think this task sucks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Side note:

I tightened the four bolts. All were loose, two being finger loose. Tightened everything up, cranked it up and still "ticking." Sounds like exhaust ticking to me, but I'm not sure what everyone talks about with the "Hemi tick" so I'm not sure anymore.

It gets louder with acceleration, and does not go away when it gets warm. Any thoughts? Still manifold leak? I did not change gasket yet, and it's still torn apart.

#4 ·
Yeah. Removed tire, tire well liner and air filter box. It's tight everywhere. A lot of stubby handles ratchets, extensions and universal joints. Def not a fun job. The bottom middle bolts I had to reach blindly and feel my way with the ratchet

#5 ·
Search the Regular Service/Maintenance section

People have done the manifolds and posted about it in the Regular Service / Maintenance section.
I had a post there about the pass. side, but it was brief compared to the driver side.
The bolts I used were Dorman part number 03218.
The rivets are cheaper at full service auto paint stores, and harbor freight assortments. They have a large shank, and a regular pop gun does not have the sizes for them.
The manifold might have warped. Both of mine did. Check with a straight edge across the runners.
I took the manifolds to a muffler shop for surfacing. Way cheaper than getting new ones, which will warp eventually.
I never saw residue from the leakage, so it must not take much to get them leaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.