Code P0113 = Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,655, Level: 23 Points: 1,655, Level: 23 Points: 1,655, Level: 23
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Code P0113 = Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

I just did the 30,000 service on my 2006. I initially installed some Bosch Platinum 2's, but after reading more on this forum, I decided to switch back to the stock Champions. After getting everything re-installed, the CEL is on, and it's throwing a P0113 code. Did a search here and nothing coming up. Google search turned up "Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input" for a Wrangler and a Cherokee. Anyone know if it's the same for the Commander? What does it mean? I'll add that I did start the engine one time with the Bosch's installed just to pull it forward in my garage a bit. The CEL was on at that time, and is still on with the Champion's reinstalled.

Thanks for the help guys.

BrandoCommando

'07 Commander - Rocky Mountain Edition
4.7L V8 FlexFuel, QDII 4x4
Class IV Tow w/ tow hooks
Fog Lights
17" Limited Chrome Wheels, P245/65R17 Forteza Tires
Chrome Grill & Entry panel
Popular Equip Group (heated seats, power pedals, roof rack, remote start)
Slate Gray Interior with Embroidered Jeep logos
Sunroof
Boston Acoustics Sound w/ Integration Solutions iPod setup
Brilliant Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I would check to see that you did not disturb the wires going to the temp sensor in the intake tube. Even unplug the sensor and plug it back in. If that doesn't work then you could always try the old disconnect the battery trick. Just wondering....Why did you choose to go back to the Champions?

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamag25 View Post
I would check to see that you did not disturb the wires going to the temp sensor in the intake tube. Even unplug the sensor and plug it back in. If that doesn't work then you could always try the old disconnect the battery trick. Just wondering....Why did you choose to go back to the Champions?
X2

Maybe you forgot to plug the wires back in or something little like that. I reinstalled the OEM Champions too. Was getting worse gas mileage with both the NGK's and the E3's.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
P0113 = Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

What does that mean?

The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the temperature of the air entering the engine. The PCM supplies a 5 volt reference voltage to the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. The IAT is a thermistor that varies resistance based on temperature. As the temperature increases, resistance decreases. Low temperature results in a high signal voltage. When the PCM sees a signal voltage higher than 5 volts, it sets this P0113 check engine light code.

Potential Symptoms

There will likely be no symptoms other than illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL - Check Engine Light / Service Engine Soon).

Causes

A code P0113 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

•Internally failed IAT sensor
•Faulty connection at IAT sensor
•Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
•Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit
•IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
•Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)

Possible Solutions

First, if you have access to a scan tool, is there an IAT reading? If the IAT reading is logical then the problem is likely intermittent. If the reading is less than -30 degrees, unplug the connector. Install a jumper wire between the harness connector signal and ground circuits. The IAT temperature reading on the scan tool should be maxed out at the high end. For example it should be 280 degrees Farenheit or higher. If it is, the wiring is okay, and it may have been the connection. If it isn't install the jumper wire between the IAT signal circuit and the chassis ground. If now the IAT reading on the scan tool is maxed out then check for an open in the IAT ground circuit. If you get no reading at all on the scan tool, it's likely that the sensor signal is open or the 5 volt reference is missing. Check using a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) for a 5 volt reference. If it's there, then unplug the connector at the PCM and check for continuity on the IAT signal circuit between the PCM connector and the IAT connector.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,655, Level: 23 Points: 1,655, Level: 23 Points: 1,655, Level: 23
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Thanks a bunch guys.

I went back to the Champions after reading post after post about people getting worse gas mileage, the engine output "feeling" less, etc. etc. A bunch of folks said that Mopar engines just plain run better on Champions. I figured for a fraction of the cost, I'd just keep it simple.

So I re-checked all the wires to the AIT system. Everything was good (I had disconnected the sensor on the flex hose between the filter and the intake box, but that was firmly back in place). I then disconnected the battery and held the key on Start for a couple minutes. No more CEL. Ran the onboard DTC check and no code exists now. I'm good to go.

Thanks for the help guys!

BrandoCommando

'07 Commander - Rocky Mountain Edition
4.7L V8 FlexFuel, QDII 4x4
Class IV Tow w/ tow hooks
Fog Lights
17" Limited Chrome Wheels, P245/65R17 Forteza Tires
Chrome Grill & Entry panel
Popular Equip Group (heated seats, power pedals, roof rack, remote start)
Slate Gray Interior with Embroidered Jeep logos
Sunroof
Boston Acoustics Sound w/ Integration Solutions iPod setup
Brilliant Black

Last edited by BrandoCommando; 09-29-2009 at 10:55 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Glad to hear you have gotten it worked out. I have noticed that for almost every task on the XK you should remove the - battery terminal to avoid getting a check engine light.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
You can always count on someone here to know the solution

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Code P0113

I got the check engine light after a tune up.
Could not reset it via battery disconnect.
Ends up, I NEVER RECONNECTED THE SENSOR WIRE ON THE AIRBOX.
After reconnecting, and then disconnecting the battery and re connecting after 5 mins I was all good.

I felt like a dummy, but I gained a OBD Reader in the process of diagnosis.
My frustration is your gain. So if you moved the air box to do plugs etc, check to make sure you reconnected the wire

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 207767
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyNJ View Post
I got the check engine light after a tune up.
Could not reset it via battery disconnect.
Ends up, I NEVER RECONNECTED THE SENSOR WIRE ON THE AIRBOX.
After reconnecting, and then disconnecting the battery and re connecting after 5 mins I was all good.

I felt like a dummy, but I gained a OBD Reader in the process of diagnosis.
My frustration is your gain. So if you moved the air box to do plugs etc, check to make sure you reconnected the wire
Just did the same thing, only this thread saved me!

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 3.7L V6

Upgrades: K&N Filter, DRL's, Rear Handles, Curt Hitch, Steel Suspension Skid Plate, Fogs, Secure Console Cover, Bilstein 4600 Shocks (F/R), Moog Front/Rear Swaybar Links, Moog Front Swaybar Bushings, Moog Front Lower Control Arms, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Ignition Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance > Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

Tags
cel , dtc , p0113

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/58-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtc/10378-code-p0113-%3D-intake-air-temperature-circuit-high-input.html
Posted By For Type Date
P0113 nightmare - JeepForum.com This thread Pingback 10-20-2017 04:35 PM