P0717 Error Code - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

P0717 Error Code

I have the error code P0717 which is input speed sensor. The jeep will only go about 28 miles an hour. I have replaced the speed sensor assembly on my 2007 3.7 jeep commander, which is located inside the transmission. I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions will be great!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Just to follow up on this issue, I was able to resolve the problem, so I wanted to give everyone the details. I replaced the vehicle speed sensor, the plug adaptor, gasket and filter. You can get these parts on line at mopar discount parts. There are several stores that sell this part between $156.00 - $180.00. The dealer wanted $262.00 for the part. Since the 6 cylinder commanders use a mercedes transmission, I was able to find a video on you tube of a guy replacing the speed sensor on a 1999 Mercedes ML320. The video is in 2 parts and he did a pretty good job of showing how it's done. I was able to complete in 3 hours. These cars do not have a dip stick so I had to measure how much fluid was drained out. The amount is between 5.3 to 5.5 quarts. After the repair, the error still was not cleared. I tried to disconnect the battery for a while, but still remained. Drove it for 15 minutes and still not cleared. I did not have a code detector to reset the codes. I finally got one and reset the code. The jeep is now working perfectly. The videos are located here:
I hope you find this information helpful. The job was fairly easy. Just a little messy.

Last edited by alan hillborn; 08-24-2011 at 09:15 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Thanks for sharing. Did that happen after anything in particular? Or just out of the blue?

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance > Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in