Too many codes help me figure this out - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Points: 877, Level: 15 Points: 877, Level: 15 Points: 877, Level: 15
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Too many codes help me figure this out

I'm hoping someone else has seen something similar because the new to me 06 Commander I got is throwing codes and has me pulling my hair out, which is a shame because I really like this Jeep and am a old Jeep guy (JeepsUnlimited, Pirate, NAXJA and Comancheclub and Strokers), It's throwing a LOT of codes but almost never the same ones, it also has some real physical symptoms I'll detail but these go away once I clear the codes and restart the Jeep. Here are the codes I've cataloged (I've looked them all up, where I found a description is it included):

This is a 5.7 Limited

P0004 fuel quantity control circuit high; This is the only code that happens more than others
P09cc
d80 (P0d80 from here on out I am omitting the P0)
c80
998 shift solenoid F control circuit low
9b0
d14
a7c "motor electronics" whatever that means
a68 drive motor current
cf8
cec
968 pressure control circuit open solenoid C
a80 "Hybrid battery bad" <--- LOL
c98
9f8
944 loss of hydraulic pump prime <--- if I'm not mistaken this is a DIESEL code!!!
1414 Rough idle
a18 motor torque circuit range
980 shift solenoid C control circuit high
a2c Drive Motor temp
9fc
(some I've not listed include cylinder reactivation and misfire codes on various cylinders)

Now the symptoms and codes happen from a cold start, it starts and idles okay but as soon as you get moving it runs rough (not stalling much just a couple times) and it's not downshifting (shudders/Lugs hard wont downshift unless you manually drop a gear). once I get a couple blocks away I will usually have a CEL if I stop and idle to check codes (Scangauge II) then kill the engine and clear the codes until starting again gives no check engine light the jeep works fine from then on. Occasionally I might have to pull over and check codes and clear them again to get it to run nice again. If the Jeep sits overnight this will happen again once it's cold, if I go into a store and come back out an hour later it's usually fine.

My thinking is a transmission issue that putting the ECU into limp mode, or a short/problem with the ECU that shows up somehow when it's cold, the former is as much wishful thinking as anything else, but it IS throwing a ridiculous variety of codes. P0004 is by far the most common and is not related to transmission issues as far as I can gleen. So that's another thing making me hopeful for a short or electronics issue.

So my question is has anyone seen anything like this? Multiple high and low ranges on sensors? The fact that it works fine when codes are cleared kinda points to ECU/Electronics. It manually shifts fine when this is happening as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
To the best of my knowledge (and I've been here a long time) nobody has ever reported anything like this before.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Points: 15,944, Level: 81 Points: 15,944, Level: 81 Points: 15,944, Level: 81
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Have you disconnected the battery to clear all codes and started over? I agree never seen this before. What transmission do you have?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

I have disconnected the battery initialize the ECU, and I'm not sure which transmission but I'll look into it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Points: 4,039, Level: 40 Points: 4,039, Level: 40 Points: 4,039, Level: 40
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
With it throwing that many codes I would suspect a major connection problem at the ECU. I had a similar problem on a Grand Cherokee a few years ago and it was a failure of the soldered connection from the plug-in connector where it attaches on the ECU internal board. I had to replace the ECU.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
have the battery tested.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies it's got a new battery though I'm not saying duralast batteries can't come off the container ship from china with defects I going to get another battery and try that. I'm also looking at a reman ECU as a next step. I've ran wires I can get to for shorts or rubs.

I have another symptom to add: when it's running rough (before a code clear) doing a slow tight turn gives the sensation of tire rub (stock size no mods so it's not that) I can only suspect this is some active suspension (electronic limited slip maybe?) component not being told correctly what it's supposed to be doing. when cleared it doesn't exhibit this.

More ECU suspicion?

When swapping a commander ECU how vital is having it flashed specifically for my vehicle? Long term sure but I mean for trouble shooting? You see I can probably pull one at a yard for $50 and just try it (even if it acted strange it might not exhibit the same behavour which would help trouble shoot the issue) or pay like 250+ for a reman'ed and flashed unit.

Last edited by 1bolt; 07-21-2015 at 02:54 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

So just to update this, the jeep sat for a few months while other projects took priority, I got a freshly remaned ECU off ebay for $250 and installed that and .... no more codes drives great, so far so good.

I was a little worried at first as the gas pedal was completely dead then I looked up the pedal calibration routine (turn key to on position depress pedal through full range, turn key off then start) and bam, seems everything is in order. Also recently got a recall notice from Jeep about the ignition switch which in trouble shooting this I've read is wonky as well so I'll take it in and get any outstanding TSB's and that done.

Thanks for the help the ECU is what I wanted it to be, and I know how often what I want to be the problem ends up not being it so this is a little bit of a fist pump moment... little victories.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Yes, I saw an article or TSB on a forum somewhere, that the PCM (aka ECU) for the Hemi's in Jeeps for certain years were defective and was likely of the solder connections to break from the circuit board.

If you have the Hemi, then for a trans you have the RFE545 trans, it has a dipstick. The 3.7L have the NAG1/W5A580 transmission, designed by Mercedes, manufactured under license by Chrysler, it is very, very sensitive to fluid level and thus does NOT come with a dip stick and instead a plug on the tube saying its Dealer service only, so customers don't overfill the transmission.

I think the FDCM for the XFR Case were defective as well, with too many suffering cracks in the circuit board. That resulted in the XFR case shifting into neautral and several Commanders/Grand Cherokee rolled away after being parked. The NHTSA threw a fit and that gave us the N23 software update that disables any XFR case shifting if the FDCM fails a self test. Sadly, the software was bad and it was failing perfectly good FDCM's and thus everyone was having their XFR case shifting disabled. The latest software update, P73? supossededly solved the good FDCM's failing the self-test and returning most people's XFR case shifting, if the whole system was still good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance > Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in