Commander and GC explore more trails in BC - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,396, Level: 42 Points: 4,396, Level: 42 Points: 4,396, Level: 42
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Commander and GC explore more trails in BC

So went out with a friend and our wives. Was a beautiful sunny day and we wanted to just spend some time checking out some trails and try out the sway bar diconnects. Found some cool trails including one really narrow one with all the trees growing towards the center of the trail, looked like a movie set and hadn't been travelled for years. Was wide enough for an ATV...so I tried it.....
Ripped off my dr side fender flair, bent back my stainless steel CB antenna bracket, caused some paint scuffs, lodged a 3" tree into my undercarriage which nobody noticed for a couple of hours...at one point, Michelle was looking out one direction, I was looking the other and I completely missed a wash out section of the road in front. My partner was behind and he said we flew about 2 feet into the air . That little cubby in the back where the jack is, I keep some recovery straps and such in there. After we hit the bump, the straps and everything loose that was in there was sitting loose in the back and the cubby was still closed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNuKN9koQ7s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67

Nice video! The reason Michelle got to drive the trails...love?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Points: 5,068, Level: 45 Points: 5,068, Level: 45 Points: 5,068, Level: 45
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%

Awesome scenery. Thanks for sharing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Thanks for sharing.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Nice scenary? What was the temp like there?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Did you disconnect the front or rear sway bars? I couldnt tell in the video. It was mostly scenery shots. If it was the front, did it seem to help out any?

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Last edited by 07JeepXK; 01-21-2010 at 05:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

crz, the temp was around 12 drgrees celcius..no idea what that is F but very warm. We haven't had any snow yet

I used front sway bar disconnects. This was the maiden voyage and they performed great. The front end rolls through the bumps now...you can definately feel the rear end jar because there is not enough flex back there. I am debating putting rear disconnects in too but these rigs are so friggin tall and tippy, I am concerned about too much body roll.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
crz, the temp was around 12 drgrees celcius..no idea what that is F but very warm. We haven't had any snow yet

I used front sway bar disconnects. This was the maiden voyage and they performed great. The front end rolls through the bumps now...you can definately feel the rear end jar because there is not enough flex back there. I am debating putting rear disconnects in too but these rigs are so friggin tall and tippy, I am concerned about too much body roll.
I think you should get some quick disconnects for the rear. Regardless your going to get more flex out of the rear then the front on our XK's which helps out a lot when off roading. If you only disconnect the, while off roading then you wont have to worry about rolling the XK.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
I think you should get some quick disconnects for the rear. Regardless your going to get more flex out of the rear then the front on our XK's which helps out a lot when off roading. If you only disconnect the, while off roading then you wont have to worry about rolling the XK.
I am still debating. I am not so sure you will get any more flex out of the rear since you are still limited by the extension of the shock. I could deifnately feel the rear bumping rather than rolling through.
In all honesty, my main issue with the rear disconnects is, the front are a pain to take off and put on, the rear would be damn near impossible. With only a 2" lift and 2" larger tires, my wheel wells are pretty full
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
I am still debating. I am not so sure you will get any more flex out of the rear since you are still limited by the extension of the shock. I could deifnately feel the rear bumping rather than rolling through.
In all honesty, my main issue with the rear disconnects is, the front are a pain to take off and put on, the rear would be damn near impossible. With only a 2" lift and 2" larger tires, my wheel wells are pretty full
Ummmm I have had the rear JKS Quick Disconnects on my Commander for about a year now and they are extremely easy to disconnect and reconnect. Thats why there called the JKS Quicker Disconnects. Also you get a lot more flex then stock. Not sure why you thought you wouldnt get more flex. Actually you will see more flex with the rear disconnected then what you would see on the front because the front is Independent Suspension and the rear is a solid axle. Even though the rear is limited by the shock, the shocks arent fully extended by the time the sway bars limit the travel. Here is a pic with my rears disconnected. I know your XK doesnt flex that much in the rear so that proves you get more flex when disconnected. If I would have had the front disconnected too It would have flexed even more. My tire is still on the ground and there was still travel in the shock. Also I was only flexing on a little rock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in