New Brush Guard and Lights! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New Brush Guard and Lights!

After some PITA time, the mission is accomplished. After a few beers and several curse words, my Matrix with grill hoop and my PIAA 525 auxiliary lights are mounted. Now I just need to aim the suckers.

These lights are dual beam. They have a plasma ion fog lamp as well as an ultra white high beam. In addition, they have this really cool feature that also turns on a blue L.E.D. light in the housing when they are not in use. They do not project light in that mode, but it does give a very cool glow to the front of the vehicle. I chose to wire mine so that the blue glows whenever the ignition is on.

Here are some preliminary pics:

Lights all off, mounted to 4xGuard Matrix

Ignition on - L.E.D. mode gives it the blue glow

Lights on High Beam

That's all for now, I will post pics of the install, etc. in the coming days.

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, NAV, 2.25" Rocky Road Lift, AEV 17 x 8.5" Pintler Rims with +10mm offset, Goodyear Silent Armor 265/70/17's, 4xGuard Matrix and grill hoop, PIAA 525 dual beam auxiliary lights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Full skid plates, Tinted fronts, Rear hitch shackle, Yakima bike carrier, Thule Atlantis 1800 roof carrier.
Current Wish list: 4xGuard Front Skid Plate, Rear tire carrier?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Points: 4,002, Level: 40 Points: 4,002, Level: 40 Points: 4,002, Level: 40
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Looks excellent and extremely clean with that set up. I wish I had the extra $350 to put towards that kit.

Current: 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 Speed

Traded: 2006 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi 4x4
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Very nice! Those lights are pretty cool. What was the worst part of the install?

-Keith-

GONE-07' XK RedRock Crystal, 4.7 flex, QDII, leather, moonroof, skylights, fogs, tow hooks, skid plates, tow pkg., Boston Accoustics
Current mods:2" RC lift, Kelly TSR 265/70/17, SpiderTrax spacers, 20% tint, iPhone integration, Mopar splash guards and slush guards.

98' TJ

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

That looks really sharp man, congrats! I wanted to go with a similar setup, I already have the matrix system but I wanted to install PIAAs of the same size, I was thinking the 520 ATPs, my only concern is- do they block the light a little from the stock headlights (low/highs)? 6.25" aux lights look awesome but they seem to partially block the inside angle of the stock lights, any thoughts?

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERE G View Post
Very nice! Those lights are pretty cool. What was the worst part of the install?
I don't know a lot about wiring. Which wire to tap into that will give the correct function and where is that wire? I finally figured out that the driver's side power outlet (cigarette lighter) provides proper power for the light switch and L.E.D. glow lights. Getting to that wire means removing the dashboard and center console panel. Then I had to figure out where to go through the firewall, run and secure the wires and connect and heat shrink the wires. It's always the learning curve that is a pain. I could do this install in less than 1/2 the time knowing what I know now.

The Matrix is a nice setup. The instructions however are not. They refer to part numbers in instructions, but the part list has no pictures so you have no clue which part they are referring to. There is one black and white copied photo of the who setup on an XK and it's just not easy to figure it out. In the end, I just took a little time and looked at it from a common sense point of view. Looking at a couple of photos which were posted on this forum didn't hurt either. I plan on eventually putting together a better "How To" for the Matrix and lighting as I took detailed pictures along the way for that purpose.

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, NAV, 2.25" Rocky Road Lift, AEV 17 x 8.5" Pintler Rims with +10mm offset, Goodyear Silent Armor 265/70/17's, 4xGuard Matrix and grill hoop, PIAA 525 dual beam auxiliary lights, K&N Cold Air Intake, Full skid plates, Tinted fronts, Rear hitch shackle, Yakima bike carrier, Thule Atlantis 1800 roof carrier.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
That looks really sharp man, congrats! I wanted to go with a similar setup, I already have the matrix system but I wanted to install PIAAs of the same size, I was thinking the 520 ATPs, my only concern is- do they block the light a little from the stock headlights (low/highs)? 6.25" aux lights look awesome but they seem to partially block the inside angle of the stock lights, any thoughts?
Thanks! I wouldn't worry about the lights blocking the stock headlights. I thought that same thing, but I was checking it out last night. The stock headlight beam is so narrow and focused at that point, that the PIAA's do not block any part of it at all.

You may consider these 525's. Having both a fog lamp and a high beam all in one light is pretty cool. The L.E.D. glow is an additional wire that is optional for the user to install, but I think it gives the whole setup a cool wow factor. I was looking at lights and had settled on PIAA. I really wanted these, but they are $475 on PIAA's website. No way...... I then thought of eBay and I ended up finding many sets for $290 with free shipping. I could and did swallow them up for that price.

Just my .02!

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Excellent installation, The set up looks fantastic!

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
That looks really good, might be a nice upgrade for mine in the future since my Mopar hoop is peeling & doesn't look good anymore.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

Wow, what a difference a couple of "right" accessories makes. Two thumbs up bro, that front end is looking Rockstar status.

I like those lights a lot......Do you know if they make a slightly smaller version?

2006 Inferno Red Commander------RR 2.25" lift, Smoked corner lights, "Limited" Color-coded rear Grab Handles, Mopar hitch, Matrix w/hoop, "Jeep" driving lights, Rear Bumper lights, Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14et wheels, Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17
Future mods---- skids, Rage roof cargo basket, PIAA 525 auxiliary lights,

<---- Click Here

..,====,_o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
Wow, what a difference a couple of "right" accessories makes. Two thumbs up bro, that front end is looking Rockstar status.

I like those lights a lot......Do you know if they make a slightly smaller version?
Thanks, man. Depending on what type of light you are looking for, PIAA does make some smaller ones. The 525's that I mounted are the only ones with the dual beam built into on housing. Plus those are the only one to offer the L.E.D. light for the glow if that's something you care about. The 525's are 6.25" in diameter. PIAA does make lights that are 4" in diameter but you have to choose either a plasma ion fog or a driving light and you are committed to just that one function. The smaller ones are the 510 series and can be found here: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/510.html

Good luck, give me a shout if you make the upgrade and I can steer you past the learning curve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in