winch self recovery:real 4xG matrix test - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

winch self recovery:real 4xG matrix test

I finally had a true test of my Rugged Ridge Winch, the 4xguard Matrix front receiver, and pretty much every other piece of armor I have added to my XK.

Its apparent some viewers require a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: The following is just a short story of my first used of the MATRIX in combo with my WINCH. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON FOR THIS THREAD SINCE MANY PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ABOUT EXPERIENCE WITH THE MATRIX. A few photos are thrown in and scattered throughout to help give a mental idea of my situation. The PHOTOS may not coincide chronologically with, or match the text since there is a limit on pics per post. The photos were taken with a WIDE ANGLE LENS, so distortion may occur. Angles in photos may not be perfectly representative of the situation.A leveling tripod was NOT used. THIS thread was created quickly and NOT proof read very well. I dont usually spend much time on the internet, since I have better things to be doing. Photos have been arranged quickly and they fall how they may on your web browse.This thread is NOT intended embellish any feat of the vehicle and/or its operator represented here, only to simply show the experience of using a winch with the MATRIX.

Let me set the stage:
Its 25 degrees. I visited my family farm over the weekend in Iowa. They had not gotten snow for awhile and all the fields appeared dry or frozen. My mom had said everything seems like it was frozen and drying so it wasn't really muddy anywhere. I even saw my brother driving in the fields with a tractor with no issue. SO i decided to go out and take a few photos of my jeep with the new 4xG side guards and read slides. I had it fairly cleaned up and had the MT tires on so I thought this would be a perfect time for a photo op.

I went over to a pasture that has several ditchs where I have played around many times before and set up a photo. It was looking good....good lighting..all seem good.

Then I walked down in to the large gully you can see in the back ground of this first photo. I was frozen solid ground and seemed dry. I have been down in there many times and some years its muddy and some times its dry....this seemed like it would be solid. i was going to driving in and climb the other side. But once i was down there i could tell there was a greasy layer benether the frost layer. when i tried going up the other face it was all mud and I slid back down into the main ditch. I thought that it would not be a big deal since i could drive down the ravine and out the end....but as i did, i broke through the top layer of frozen dirt.

Apparently the top 3-4 inches of dirty/mud was frozen making it look like it was dry dry ground, but this layer was basically just acting as a bridge, covering the Swap that was below.

When my tires broke through in to the mucky greasy swamp, I was hung up.

I could see I would need to get pulled out some how. Rather than calling my brother to pull me out, since i figured then we would have 2 vehicles stuck in there, I thought I would make quick recovery with my winch and be on my way.
BUT, little did I know the deep bottomless swap was only going to get deeper, which my only way out was past it.

At this point here I am still just high centered on the frozen crust of dirt with my wheels hanging down.

2010 Metallic Black Limited, HEMI, QD2, 1.5 inch Spidertrax,2.25 RR lift,Maxxis 265-75/17s, 4xG Matrix/receiver,bellyguard, front guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ped4599; 05-27-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

So I got out my winch and hooked it up and pulled on a nearby tree just over the edge of the wall of the ditch.

2010 Metallic Black Limited, HEMI, QD2, 1.5 inch Spidertrax,2.25 RR lift,Maxxis 265-75/17s, 4xG Matrix/receiver,bellyguard, front guard

Last edited by ped4599; 03-11-2011 at 02:59 AM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

So you cant see i did a 'no-no' and just wrapped the winch rope around the the tree since i didnt have much time. I know its best to use a tree strap since doing this can damage a cable, its not as bad with the rope winches, especially since mine has the protective shroud.

so the plan is to just use this to help me off high center but let the jeep do much of the work as it would hopefully just move up and out of the ditch along the side hill.
It didn't look like it would take very much effort by the winch to get me out.

Once i came up out of the holes, i wrapped up the rope and tried to drive out.

Last edited by ped4599; 03-11-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: continue the story

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

the suspense is building! Can't wait to read the rest.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Maybe he is still stuck

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

thats not cool

Stop by and like the page

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Man, I think he may have gotten sucked down into a bottomless pit and then eaten by zombies.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I wish it was zombies!
I think it was actually a swamp monster!

Continuing on...

I used the winch to help me along the side of the hill, trying to keep my moment since i was out of the original holes.

I had mud flung everywhere, but i didnt get much momentum.

There was too much angle and I keep sliding down closer to the bottom of the ditch, which by now i had discovered was a very deep, muddy pit, with a 3 inch layer of partially frozen surface.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

I'm liking this. It's like a 4xGuard advertisement.

I did NOT pay this man!

Mike

2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red with Saddle Brown seats, QDII, and all the goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit (formerly BDS
), B.F. Goodrich 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" wheel spacers), Aries
, AVS ventvisors, 4xGuard
, 4xGuard
, 4xGuard
with receiver mount, and a
in a pear tree.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

At first, it looked like i was doing well, but i was running out of space since I was nearly parrallel to the tree, So i re-hooked to this tree out in front.

...this time straight out in front on a tree about 90 ft away...which i have about 94 feet of rope.

You can see that i was taking this photo from level ground. Looking back at the Jeep you can see how much angle the jeep is at on the slippery side hill. And that wasnt even as steep of an angle as the jeep would see before i was done.

Last edited by ped4599; 03-11-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in