Towed a big load today - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,374, Level: 52 Points: 6,374, Level: 52 Points: 6,374, Level: 52
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165000
Towed a big load today

Mad tongue weight. LOL I only towed it about 10 miles it did great power wise just wish I had helper bags in the rear. BTW does anyone make helper bags for the commander?

And what was in the trailer you say?? Just a 900 hp ford lightning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Dang this forum is dead. LOL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Nope, not dead.....I wrote a long dissertation this morning and my connection took a dump...lost the whole thing.

Anyways, I don't see any sign of an equalizer on your hitch.
If I am correct, you are carrying all the tounge weight on the hitch alone and severely overloading the rear of the vehicle.
Using a air bag or any other method other than a equalizer is a accident waiting to happen.
As you can see, the front wheels are being unloaded. The equalizer re-distributes the tounge load back to the trailer axles and forward to the Commanders front wheels.

It uses a pair of adjustable torsion bars to accomplish this and, at the same time, it levels the tow vehicle.

I tow a 24' Pace Shadow GT behind a long frame Chevy pick-up with my 95 Impala SS in the trailer.
The loaded trailer, weighs in at 9200lb.
The tounge weight, with the car centered over the axles, is approximatly 800/900 lbs depending on what else I have on board.
With a correctly set up equalizer, the whole shootin match sits level.
Without the equalizer, like when I'm just repositioning, the truck and trailer look about the same as your Commander.....clearly a unhappy chassis.

I'll bet with your truck on board (really nice Lightning BTW) we are working with similar weights.

Of course, if there is a equalizer and I can't see it, then you need to bring up your torsion bars another link or two....it'll level right out.

And yes, I know this is over the Commanders recommended max trailer weight.....I don't think you are going cross country with it though.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Nope, not dead.....I wrote a long dissertation this morning and my connection took a dump...lost the whole thing.

Anyways, I don't see any sign of an equalizer on your hitch.
If I am correct, you are carrying all the tounge weight on the hitch alone and severely overloading the rear of the vehicle.
Using a air bag or any other method other than a equalizer is a accident waiting to happen.
As you can see, the front wheels are being unloaded. The equalizer re-distributes the tounge load back to the trailer axles and forward to the Commanders front wheels.

It uses a pair of adjustable torsion bars to accomplish this and, at the same time, it levels the tow vehicle.

I tow a 24' Pace Shadow GT behind a long frame Chevy pick-up with my 95 Impala SS in the trailer.
The loaded trailer, weighs in at 9200lb.
The tounge weight, with the car centered over the axles, is approximatly 800/900 lbs depending on what else I have on board.
With a correctly set up equalizer, the whole shootin match sits level.
Without the equalizer, like when I'm just repositioning, the truck and trailer look about the same as your Commander.....clearly a unhappy chassis.

I'll bet with your truck on board (really nice Lightning BTW) we are working with similar weights.

Of course, if there is a equalizer and I can't see it, then you need to bring up your torsion bars another link or two....it'll level right out.

And yes, I know this is over the Commanders recommended max trailer weight.....I don't think you are going cross country with it though.

Rob
No I did not have a equalizer bar. I only pulled it across town about 10 miles not over 50 mph and not on any major hwy's the 2011 f350 diesel that usually tows it was in the shop for a recall. So I wont be towing this load anymore really but I still am surprised how well it tows even with out the proper equipment. I love my commander got a Rc lift and spidertrax spacers sitting in the garage and some BFG A/T's on the way i'll post some pics soon of it lifted.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Well alrighty then,

So, about the pickup......yours? Specs?
Old drag racer here......inquisitive minds need to know......love the steam rollers at the rear.
A show girl or the real deal?

Rob

|
|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Well alrighty then,

So, about the pickup......yours? Specs?
Old drag racer here......inquisitive minds need to know......love the steam rollers at the rear.
A show girl or the real deal?

Rob
The lightning is my uncles it used to be mine I sold it to him and now race my blown jeep SRT8. Anyway as for the lightning it's no show girl it's fully built pushing 22psi for now with the whipple 3.4 liter. We are still dialing it in the first time out it ran 11.00 on the motor we didnt use the nitrous yet cause we had a intercooler line break. Honestly it ran 11.00 leaving the line like geo metro cause it has no traction I think it's a nine second truck once we get it to hook and use the nitrous. Oh and it's registered and drives on the road.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANSRT View Post
The lightning is my uncles it used to be mine I sold it to him and now race my blown jeep SRT8. Anyway as for the lightning it's no show girl it's fully built pushing 22psi for now with the whipple 3.4 liter. We are still dialing it in the first time out it ran 11.00 on the motor we didnt use the nitrous yet cause we had a intercooler line break. Honestly it ran 11.00 leaving the line like geo metro cause it has no traction I think it's a nine second truck once we get it to hook and use the nitrous. Oh and it's registered and drives on the road.
Very nice......yeah, the traction thing....I guess you could lead fill the tailgate.
Not a joke, there was a guy running a Elkie a few years back.....great launch, hauling a lead filled gate.
Thing had to weigh 400lbs.

Nice surprise package at the stoplight GP!
Thanks for the info.

Rob

|
|
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Look into the monroe load leveler shocks there wrapped with a helper spring. Several us are using them and they do great with heavy loads. I installed the longer ones that are made for the f150.

Part number 58643
Compressed Length = 16.59
Extended Length = 27.55
Travel = 10.66
Upper Mount = LS38
Lower Mount = LS38

With the rc 2"? lift these will give you about 1.5" of extra lift in the back giving you a front rake again. The oem replacements will give you a 1/2 inch of lift. I recommend the longer ones if your lifted. You'll have to add washers to the top mount its smaller then ours and at $90 for the pair of amazon its a pretty cheap solution as well.

Stop by and like the page

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Sal, would you go this route over the ome hd lift?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Yes, Two people have already put these in place of the OME shocks that come with the lift and there loving it. Oh and they got more lift even though there running the OME HD springs. So I would take the HD springs and pop these shocks right back on and never order the OME rear shocks.

Stop by and like the page

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in