[my review] Smittybilt CC330 3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 30,000 lb Capacity - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By berjaya2015

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

[my review] Smittybilt CC330 3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 30,000 lb Capacity

I have owned a 4-wheel drive vehicle for over 35 years and I always carry a tow strap in the back. What I've learned in that time is that you have to have a good strap, 30 feet is the right length and you need good shackles. The shackles help you safely attach the strap to a vehicle and help to prevent the strap from being sliced by sharp parts of the car.

The length lets you get far enough away from the person you are pulling to not have them hit you and in one case I actually pulled a car on the shoulder of the road several miles to a service station as it was 25 below zero and I didn't want to leave them there.

I used to only carry this strap in the winter and when I went 4-wheeling but now it is always in the back of my SUV all the time. I wouldn't leave home without it. I even used it to pull out some shrubs around my home that I wanted to replace. I have a huge logging chain but it weighs 10 times what this strap does and the strap is just easier to use and store.

It is very handy and good quality. Every car owner should have one in the trunk or in their truck.

Mk153smaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Don't ask me how I know not to pull stumps or anything that will rocket toward you truck when it comes loose! These straps stretch a lot under load and recoil rapidly when released hurling just freed objects into the back of your truck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Great review, always good to help seperate the quality products from all the junk out there

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,200, Level: 93 Points: 23,200, Level: 93 Points: 23,200, Level: 93
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I'm more of a chain man myself:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+Self+Colored+

This is the tow chain I carry and I also have a couple of Smittybilt 3/4" black d-rings I have for rigging purposes. The chain is 14 feet long which is more than adequate when you are not dealing with the stretching that you would have with a tow strap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-23-2016 at 06:34 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 05:29 AM
Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdog View Post
Don't ask me how I know not to pull stumps or anything that will rocket toward you truck when it comes loose! These straps stretch a lot under load and recoil rapidly when released hurling just freed objects into the back of your truck.
Yes a chain is better as no stretch, but even then I always lay a moving blanket over the chain or strap to stop the flying missile caused by the stretch, Yes even chain can do it.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in