Towing Travel Trailer - Page 2 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,497, Level: 92 Points: 21,497, Level: 92 Points: 21,497, Level: 92
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Man, that's crazy!
Thanks for the info on towing, guys! I've recently been reading through old towing threads on here and people's varying experiences, etc. We're soft-shopping for a smaller toy-hauler, preferably no bigger than 24ft, and we prefer to travel in my Commander (vs. the wife's Nissan Titan). So I've been extra curious about how well it'll do long term.
Even the comment about a single axle trailer vs a dual axle...didn't think that'd be as much of a difference on shorter (like, under 27ft) trailers.

We rented a 22ft Forest River Wildwood 2 years ago and pulled it down to Johnson Valley, CA for the King of the Hammers desert race and took it through part of the Sequoias on the way back up. Towing speed limit in CA is 55, so I rarely tried to keep speeds over 60 or the occasional 65 and the Commander did pretty well. High cross-winds in the desert was pretty sketchy, but I guess the short wheel-base is to cause of that. I got about the same gas mileage as you, about 9 or 10mpg...
That's a pretty big trailer; Nice pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-20-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,497, Level: 92 Points: 21,497, Level: 92 Points: 21,497, Level: 92
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
Here are a couple of more interesting pictures. This place where the trail splits is called, The Parting of the Ways. It was at this point that the pioneers had to make a decision to go towards Fort Bridger and on to Salt Lake or take the Sublette Cut off. Pioneer families that traveled together for many weeks or months would decide at this point which way to go, splitting up friends and even couples who became acquainted during the voyage. One way was shorter but much more difficult with less water and food for the animals the other way was longer more mountainous but water and food was easier to come by. Some would go to Salt Lake and stay others would part and go onto Oregon. All that parted ways here would never see each other again. It was a solemn place and many tears were shed here. The original hand carved trail marker stone is still here (see picture).
That's pretty interesting; nice pics.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 AM
GTF
Points: 1,450, Level: 21 Points: 1,450, Level: 21 Points: 1,450, Level: 21
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
Here are a couple of more interesting pictures. This place where the trail splits is called, The Parting of the Ways. It was at this point that the pioneers had to make a decision to go towards Fort Bridger and on to Salt Lake or take the Sublette Cut off. Pioneer families that traveled together for many weeks or months would decide at this point which way to go, splitting up friends and even couples who became acquainted during the voyage. One way was shorter but much more difficult with less water and food for the animals the other way was longer more mountainous but water and food was easier to come by. Some would go to Salt Lake and stay others would part and go onto Oregon. All that parted ways here would never see each other again. It was a solemn place and many tears were shed here. The original hand carved trail marker stone is still here (see picture).
It would seem from the photos that most chose to go left.

An awful lot of history on that road, very cool.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 94% Activity: 94% Activity: 94%

4WD
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4XK View Post
We were think of a family trip down to the Sequoias this summer, but with the 9 mpg that we get towing I found my self planning the fuel stops more then the fun stops. Decided to put off long haul trips until I can get a Aux tank.
Plenty of gas all down Hwy 99, the main North/South route on the West side of the Sierras (besides I-5). 99 goes back and forth between 2 and 3 lanes each way. We took the main way in on Hwy 198, however once you get into the park you can't take trailers over a certain length past a certain point in the park. There's lots of signs and the Park Rangers at the gate will make sure you know. I don't remember what their length limit is, but I'm sure it's all over the websites. We stayed at the Potwisha Campground, which was real nice and not too big. No hookups, though- power, water or sewage. It's right next to one of the rivers and some trail heads. Also there's a free dump station and fresh water fill right across the street, so you can plan to tow dry! The pic in my last post on this thread is in that campground.

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Need to get it on a dyno....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 PM
Points: 814, Level: 15 Points: 814, Level: 15 Points: 814, Level: 15
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 85,000
Garage
Quote:
Plenty of gas all down Hwy 99, the main North/South route on the West side of the Sierras (besides I-5). 99 goes back and forth between 2 and 3 lanes each way. We took the main way in on Hwy 198, however once you get into the park you can't take trailers over a certain length past a certain point in the park. There's lots of signs and the Park Rangers at the gate will make sure you know. I don't remember what their length limit is, but I'm sure it's all over the websites. We stayed at the Potwisha Campground, which was real nice and not too big. No hookups, though- power, water or sewage. It's right next to one of the rivers and some trail heads. Also there's a free dump station and fresh water fill right across the street, so you can plan to tow dry! The pic in my last post on this thread is in that campground.
Got to have the Aux tank before doing any long trips , That's my story and I'm sticking to it as long as I can.
Wombler likes this.

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:14 PM

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Got to have the Aux tank before doing any long trips , That's my story and I'm sticking to it as long as I can.
Well sure! I wasn't trying to talk you out of that Just sharing my experience with the trip!

What are you thinkin for an Aux setup?

Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Points: 814, Level: 15 Points: 814, Level: 15 Points: 814, Level: 15
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 85,000
Garage
Quote:
Well sure! I wasn't trying to talk you out of that Just sharing my experience with the trip!

What are you thinkin for an Aux setup?
Looking at the Long Range Automotive one. I already have my spare on the roof, and air bags in the rear springs.

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:35 PM

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Looking at the Long Range Automotive one. I already have my spare on the roof, and air bags in the rear springs.
Oh yae...I keep coming across that other thread about this one. I find it interesting that it's imported and sold out of a city in CA (about 1.5 hours from me...) but can't be sold to CA residents
The CARB laws here are frikken ridiculous. Especially for OHVs, and they keep getting worse/more strict I'm not a CA resident, so I can always find some loop-holes.

Unfortunately I won't have the need for one of these for quite some time, but I'd love to be able to take advantage of just going to pick it up, vs. freight shipping it.....can't really justify dropping ~$1600 on it right now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in