Towing Travel Trailer - Page 3 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
My wife and I are headed out to Wyoming and Montana next week. We tow a small camper regularly with our Commander. When we travel often we head to some very remote wilderness areas where fuel is not available. I put a 12 gallon boat fuel tank on the roof of my Commander and have a quick disconnect hose and valve that I use to fill the Commander, generator and small trail bike I carry on the back of our camper.

We are headed to some very remote areas in the Wind River Range and also the Absoroka Mountains this year. Our camper is a Jayflight Baja high clearance so we can take it on some pretty rough roads to setup base camp.

Last year we drove about 200 miles of the original wagon road of the Emigrant and Oregon Trails. We crossed a lot of sand washes and quite a few creek crossings through South Pass and the Lander Cutoff. I attached a picture near South Pass out in miles of nothingness - A lot of history way out there and you can really get the feeling of what those pioneer families experienced way back. Dan

The picture didn't load so I posted it in the following.
This is really interesting. Did you travel in 200 miles and then travel back out on a full tank and your auxiliary tank? Kinda scary going completely in the wilderness knowing there is no fuel anywhere out there. Glad you made it back without incident. We were in Montana last week for vacation. Of course, we flew, so it wasn't a big deal. I talked to a couple of people that hunt with their mules and they told me they carry a locator called the SPOT tracker (I think) that is used when people go in the wilderness and is a lifeline if they get stranded or get lost. Do you carry something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,919, Level: 94 Points: 23,919, Level: 94 Points: 23,919, Level: 94
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDD View Post
This is really interesting. Did you travel in 200 miles and then travel back out on a full tank and your auxiliary tank? Kinda scary going completely in the wilderness knowing there is no fuel anywhere out there. Glad you made it back without incident. We were in Montana last week for vacation. Of course, we flew, so it wasn't a big deal. I talked to a couple of people that hunt with their mules and they told me they carry a locator called the SPOT tracker (I think) that is used when people go in the wilderness and is a lifeline if they get stranded or get lost. Do you carry something similar?
@DanielDD;

I'm familiar with SPOT Satellite Messengers; It's a good device to have if you spend any amount of time out in the woods & off the grid; I have some close friends that have them and I plan on ordering one in about 8 days....but I won't be able to put my hands on it until I get home in December;

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-11-2019 at 10:33 AM.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
If I ever have the need or desire to travel to parts unknown off the beaten path, I would sure get one..

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
If I ever have the need or desire to travel to parts unknown off the beaten path, I would sure get one..
I have a group of outdoor enthusiasts that I spend time with and the way we'll typically use it is when we are meeting up for an organized camping/expedition, one guy will typically arrive a day or 2 ahead of everyone else, secure a location for base camp & set-up camp;

Then that person, will send a SPOT text message with the LAT & LONG of base camp to the rest of the group, so other people who may not be familiar with the area, can easily navigate to the base camp location without getting turned around or lost.

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:31 PM
Points: 4,492, Level: 42 Points: 4,492, Level: 42 Points: 4,492, Level: 42
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 124000
Quote:
I carry a Garmin InReach satellite communicator. It is similar to the SPOT to call for help in an emergency but it also can send text messages and emails. I used to carry a SPOT messenger and still have several SPOT Tracers mounted on my vehicles for security purposes. I have found that the InReach has a better satellite network and seems to track better in canyons and under trees etc. The ability to send texts makes the device much more useful as I can send messages home when I am off the grid in my Jeep or Motorcycle. The InReach devices were previously available from DeLorme but Garmin has bought the company.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:21 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

4WD
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Here is a link to the thread on my auxillary gas tank.

It is a long thread but it does have lots of information.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...-gas-tank.html

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:02 PM

4WD
I put a 12 gallon boat fuel tank on my roof onto of a rubber pad when I go off road any great distance. I have the squeeze bulb hose with a hose and ball valve on the end. I simply put the hose in my gas tank and squeeze the bulb to get the fuel going and the fuel siphons into the tank. Very easy. See the picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ORG__DSC1881.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	34605  
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
I put a 12 gallon boat fuel tank on my roof onto of a rubber pad when I go off road any great distance. I have the squeeze bulb hose with a hose and ball valve on the end. I simply put the hose in my gas tank and squeeze the bulb to get the fuel going and the fuel siphons into the tank. Very easy. See the picture:
That's actually an excellent idea @bdalameda - and they make them bigger than that, I've seen tanks like that as big as 20 gallons. An extra 20 gallons of gas would give you all the range you need; Heck, even 12 gallons extra is plenty of fuel;

I'm quite certain that you can custom make a hose long enough to reach the main gas tank while that external tank remains in the roof rack once you get the gas flowing, gravity will do the rest;

Simple & effective; That has my vote - thank you very much for sharing that, I appreciate it;

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-27-2019 at 11:05 PM.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
I carry a Garmin InReach satellite communicator. It is similar to the SPOT to call for help in an emergency but it also can send text messages and emails. I used to carry a SPOT messenger and still have several SPOT Tracers mounted on my vehicles for security purposes. I have found that the InReach has a better satellite network and seems to track better in canyons and under trees etc. The ability to send texts makes the device much more useful as I can send messages home when I am off the grid in my Jeep or Motorcycle. The InReach devices were previously available from DeLorme but Garmin has bought the company.
I'm pretty certain the New SPOT X has those features as well - and more;

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

Quote:
SPOT X provides 2-way satellite messaging when you are off the grid or beyond reliable cellular coverage. Connect SPOT X to your smart phone via Bluetooth wireless technology through the SPOT X app to access your contacts and communicate easily with family, friends, or directly with Search & Rescue services in a life-threatening situation. If preferred or when necessary, SPOT X can be used as a standalone communication device. SPOT X has its own dedicated U.S. mobile number, so others can message you directly at any time.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-27-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:20 PM

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
That's actually an excellent idea @bdalameda - and they make them bigger than that, I've seen tanks like that as big as 20 gallons. An extra 20 gallons of gas would give you all the range you need; Heck, even 12 gallons extra is plenty of fuel;

I'm quite certain that you can custom make a hose long enough to reach the main gas tank while that external tank remains in the roof rack once you get the gas flowing, gravity will do the rest;

Simple & effective; That has my vote - thank you very much for sharing that, I appreciate it;

Yes I made a hose that is long enough to reach the fuel filler. I never take the tank off the roof - boat tanks are equipped with a quick disconnect hose and I just stand up on the top of the rear tire and plug the hose onto the tank and open the vent, place the hose into the stock tank filler and give the squeeze bulb a few pumps and the siphon action and gravity do the rest. I keep my fuel filler hose coiled up in a military metal ammo can that is water tight so it does not smell up the interior of my Jeep while it is stored. 12 gallons gives me plenty of extra range and I also use the extra fuel to fill my gas generator on my RV when camping.
Big Blue likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-27-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in