Towing Travel Trailer - Page 4 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Picture / Media Post If you have pictures of your Jeep Commander or movies involving the Jeep Commander, post them here.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:31 PM
Points: 4,492, Level: 42 Points: 4,492, Level: 42 Points: 4,492, Level: 42
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 124000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'm pretty certain the New SPOT X has those features as well - and more;

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php
Yes the new SPOT X does have that feature but I like the Iridium Sat network better than SPOT's Globalstar sat network as generally the Iridium network has been more reliable and better reported coverage from actual users. The Garmin InReach plans can also be activated and deactivated at any time to save some money when not in use. I also like the way the InReach will bluetooth connect directly to your phone and you can use your phone to text or email through the InReach device if you want to. The SPOT may do that as well - not sure. My InReach Explorer also is equipped with a GPS Navigator as well and their Earthmate maps on your phone, laptop or tablet are great for offload navigating. When going offroad I have my IPAD mounted in my Jeep and I have a large Earthmate TOPO map showing my location that is also Bluetooth connected to my InReach. The weather reports and Birdseye satellite imaging is also pretty cool.

Also with either system you can buy emergency evacuation insurance very inexpensively that will pay up to $170K towards rescue expenses and transport to a US Hospital from anywhere in the world.

Dan

Last edited by bdalameda; 09-27-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,919, Level: 94 Points: 23,919, Level: 94 Points: 23,919, Level: 94
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
Yes the new SPOT X does have that feature but I like the Iridium Sat network better than SPOT's Globalstar sat network as generally the Iridium network has been more reliable and better reported coverage from actual users. The Garmin InReach plans can also be activated and deactivated at any time to save some money when not in use. I also like the way the InReach will bluetooth connect directly to your phone and you can use your phone to text or email through the InReach device if you want to. The SPOT may do that as well - not sure. My InReach Explorer also is equipped with a GPS Navigator as well and their Earthmate maps on your phone, laptop or tablet are great for offload navigating. When going offroad I have my IPAD mounted in my Jeep and I have a large Earthmate TOPO map showing my location that is also Bluetooth connected to my InReach. The weather reports and Birdseye satellite imaging is also pretty cool.

Also with either system you can buy emergency evacuation insurance very inexpensively that will pay up to $170K towards rescue expenses and transport to a US Hospital from anywhere in the world.

Dan
Spot does that as well; I'm in the market and I was considering a SPOT-X but, I may look into the InReach device as well - do you have a link for it Dan?

I'm also curious as to the cost of the service for your Garmin InReach service;

SPOT has a $20.00 activation fee and $143.00 for a whole year of service - or 11.95 a month.....which seems pretty reasonable to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-27-2019 at 11:02 PM.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Yes I made a hose that is long enough to reach the fuel filler. I never take the tank off the roof - boat tanks are equipped with a quick disconnect hose and I just stand up on the top of the rear tire and plug the hose onto the tank and open the vent, place the hose into the stock tank filler and give the squeeze bulb a few pumps and the siphon action and gravity do the rest. I keep my fuel filler hose coiled up in a military metal ammo can that is water tight so it does not smell up the interior of my Jeep while it is stored. 12 gallons gives me plenty of extra range and I also use the extra fuel to fill my gas generator on my RV when camping.
With as much time as I've spent on boats in my life, I can't believe I never thought of this.

Great stuff Dan, thanks again.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:08 AM

4WD
Quote:
Spot does that as well; I'm in the market and I was considering a SPOT-X but, I may look into the InReach device as well - do you have a link for it Dan?

I'm also curious as to the cost of the service for your Garmin InReach service;

SPOT has a $20.00 activation fee and $143.00 for a whole year of service - or 11.95 a month.....which seems pretty reasonable to me.
Here you go: They make several models from simple mini phone connect only to more advanced such as the Explorer or SE

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Here you go: They make several models from simple mini phone connect only to more advanced such as the Explorer or SE

Much appreciated @bdalameda , thank you.

I have a lot of Garmin devices - and have had a lot in the past as well; In looking into this, one thing I don't like right out of the gate about Garmin InReach, is they won't tell you what the prices of their plans are, UNLESS you already have a device and have the device information (IMEI number and authorization code) to enter in.

That tends to make me think the prices of their InReach device plans are higher than normal - otherwise, why make their plan prices so difficult to access?

SPOT openly advertises the prices of their plans.

You mind if I ask you Dan/ how much you pay a month/a year, for Garmin's InReach service?

I'm not going to blindly buy one, without knowing how much their service plans cost......

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-28-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:11 PM

4WD
Quote:
Much appreciated @bdalameda , thank you.

I have a lot of Garmin devices - and have had a lot in the past as well; In looking into this, one thing I don't like right out of the gate about Garmin InReach, is they won't tell you what the prices of their plans are, UNLESS you already have a device and have the device information (IMEI number and authorization code) to enter in.

That tends to make me think the prices of their InReach device plans are higher than normal - otherwise, why make their plan prices so difficult to access?

SPOT openly advertises the prices of their plans.

You mind if I ask you Dan/ how much you pay a month/a year, for Garmin's InReach service?

I'm not going to blindly buy one, without knowing how much their service plans cost......

Here is the link to the page that has the subscription plans, they are displayed on the website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Last edited by bdalameda; 09-28-2019 at 08:14 PM.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:11 PM
Points: 1,082, Level: 17 Points: 1,082, Level: 17 Points: 1,082, Level: 17
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 90,000
Garage
A third option is a no thrills, no subscription, ResQlink by ACR. It's only a GPS enabled personal rescue beacon, but durable and water proof. Not real cheap and you do need to register it with NOAA. I Always have it in my backpack.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb
Big Blue likes this.

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Here is the link to the page that has the subscription plans, they are displayed on the website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Garmin has a lot more plans to choose from than SPOT does - however, most of them are on the pricey side.

The only one that is comparable to SPOT's plan and Garmin's bare bones option and they seem to put a lot of restrictions as to how many text messages you can send where as SPOT doesn't seem to.

Interesting.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-30-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4XK View Post
A third option is a no thrills, no subscription, ResQlink by ACR. It's only a GPS enabled personal rescue beacon, but durable and water proof. Not real cheap and you do need to register it with NOAA. I Always have it in my backpack.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb
Even though it's about $40.00 more expensive than the SPOT-X Messenger, you'd more than make up for it with all the money you'd save not having to pay for any monthly/yearly subscriptions; the trade off is it doesn't give you any other functionality, other than being a beacon locator; if you are only concern is SAR, that's really all you need in the grand scheme of things;

However, I'd bet the majority of people would prefer to have the piece of mind that comes with two-way communication and having the ability to openly communicate with the people that are looking for you. It's a nice option though.

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 PM

4WD
It's nice to be able to check in at home when I am away from cell service. Being able to receive messages from home is also a nice feature. When I am out in the wilderness by myself I often send my wife an email or text to let her know I am ok. She can click on the link that accompanies the message and it will open up a map and show my exact location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Picture / Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in