New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread - Page 3 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
JeepCommander.com Site Issues & Website Help Please post here any site-related issues/problems (no vehicle related questions).

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Garage
I have removed the spammers that you listed and a few others I found. Thanks for reporting those.

I have also upgraded the security features with a more robust system. The change may not be instant, as we will still need to continue to ban the spammers so their IP addresses get added to the listing (and checked vs. new signups) but this should start knocking out a large portion of them.

The plugin Richard added is working, as it will break their script, and force them to have the same title and post in the same reply. I saw a few of these today.

If you see spam, please continue to report it with the Report Post icon, or let us know here.

We have a few other options we can look at, but it will require changing the signup system / first post, or manual moderation.

I would like to give these new changes some time to get established before we go ahead with anything else.

Thanks,
- JB

If you need Admin support please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,439, Level: 92 Points: 21,439, Level: 92 Points: 21,439, Level: 92
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Sounds good JB, thanks for all your efforts.

AL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

2WD
Current Mileage: 3500
Garage
Wonderful! thank you so much for caring!

post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 PM

2WD
Garage
User: "mreitonioa" has figured out the tricks admin, they posted 5 times, changing lettering slightly, then posted a new thread with a link. I recommend, deleting the posts where you said what your anti-spam measures are, change the link posting to either a different number (and don't tell us what it is) or a time frame after signup (also don't tell us what that is). I know you guys are working hard on this for us, and we are grateful, just giving you a heads up and some ideas.
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulhunterM42 View Post
User: "mreitonioa" has figured out the tricks admin, they posted 5 times, changing lettering slightly, then posted a new thread with a link. I recommend, deleting the posts where you said what your anti-spam measures are, change the link posting to either a different number (and don't tell us what it is) or a time frame after signup (also don't tell us what that is). I know you guys are working hard on this for us, and we are grateful, just giving you a heads up and some ideas.
There is an easy way to report these to the administrators - which I have been staying on top of;

In the bottom left hand corner of every post there is a gray triangle with an explanation point inside of it, click on that and just type in whatever text you want - I usually just type "New spam thread" and hit send and it's flagged and goes directly to the administrators.

I've already reported his 2 recent threads.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-21-2016 at 08:20 PM.
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 PM

2WD
Garage
no I'm aware, except I report every single post in his threads, But he's figured out the requirement to be able to post links, which he's made obvious. so what else is he learning from admin's post? I just think the anti-spam measures should be a little more secretive is all.
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulhunterM42 View Post
no I'm aware, except I report every single post in his threads, But he's figured out the requirement to be able to post links, which he's made obvious. so what else is he learning from admin's post? I just think the anti-spam measures should be a little more secretive is all.
Gotcha and I agree.

post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

2WD
Garage
The issue is that if you are a new account attempting to post a link / image, ect. The system will generate an error message noting how many posts your account requires for that action. This is to serve as a reminder to new members so they do not feel that they are being blocked or their accounts are not fully activated. This error message cannot be removed.

Spammers are constantly looking for loopholes or ways around our systems, so the human mind is something we have to combat at the same time.

We could look at upping the limit, so that mods/admins can catch their posts, but this would also affect new members looking to post as well.

As for the user themselves, I cannot find mreitonioa in the back end. Can you direct me to where their posts were? They look to be already handled but I want to see the differences in their postings.

Thanks.
- JB

If you need Admin support please post here:

post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
The issue is that if you are a new account attempting to post a link / image, ect. The system will generate an error message noting how many posts your account requires for that action. This is to serve as a reminder to new members so they do not feel that they are being blocked or their accounts are not fully activated. This error message cannot be removed.

Spammers are constantly looking for loopholes or ways around our systems, so the human mind is something we have to combat at the same time.

We could look at upping the limit, so that mods/admins can catch their posts, but this would also affect new members looking to post as well.

As for the user themselves, I cannot find mreitonioa in the back end. Can you direct me to where their posts were? They look to be already handled but I want to see the differences in their postings.

Thanks.
- JB
JB,

A lot of the spam threads seem to get posted in the Wheels / Tires sub-forum.

But, mretinioa's last thread is located here:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ions-most.html

There are also still a bunch of spam threads in the Wheel / Tires sub-forum, but, they were posted on NOV 19th and 20th - they just haven't been removed yet, just look at all the threads on the first page that have zero replies.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/

If you go back another page or two in this same forum, you'll probably see a lot more of them that haven't been deleted yet.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-23-2016 at 01:49 PM.
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Points: 9,815, Level: 66 Points: 9,815, Level: 66 Points: 9,815, Level: 66
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 63,000
Garage
Thanks for addressing the spammers. Agree with Big Blue it's really annoying. Latest is by a user StephaNina and I've reported it.

One problem I've been having is with posting photos. I use Google drive (and don't want a photo bucket account) and I post the URL to my photo on the site using the "Insert Image" link but they don't show. I've even tried to resize those photos to under 1000 pixels in width and still no luck. So instead I end up uploading the photos to the site (which takes up storage on the site) and I'd prefer to post the links. Any advice? I may be missing something. If not could you address the links to photos hosted by google?

Following is an example. Why wont this photo show?

2006 5.7L Hemi Limited | Steel Blue | Saddle Brown Leather Seats | Rocky Road 2.25" Lift | Ultra Motorsports 175 Wheels (17x8" +10mm offset) | 265/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Yakima Mega Warrior Roof Rack | Curt 2" Hitch | Purchased August 2006

Last edited by zing; 11-23-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander News & Polls > JeepCommander.com Site Issues & Website Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in