Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
JeepCommander.com Site Issues & Website Help Please post here any site-related issues/problems (no vehicle related questions).

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Garage
Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working

Hello,

Photobucket.com has recently changed its terms of service for free users on their platform. As of June 20 images hosted by Photobucket and shared on our forum, or any other third party sites, will no longer appear. As a result, you may notice a higher amount of broken images on the forum.

If you do not have access to edit your older posts please contact an Administrator or Moderator for assistance. Please provide the new URL for the image that needs to be edited and a link to the thread the image in located in.

More information on the change and what it means for Photobucket users can be found below.

Photobucket Terms of Use http://photobucket.com/terms

Thank you

Community Support

If you need Admin support please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,841, Level: 90 Points: 20,841, Level: 90 Points: 20,841, Level: 90
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Hello,

Photobucket.com has recently changed its terms of service for free users on their platform. As of June 20 images hosted by Photobucket and shared on our forum, or any other third party sites, will no longer appear.As a result, you may notice a higher amount of broken images on the forum.

If you do not have access to edit your older posts please contact an Administrator or Moderator for assistance. Please provide the new URL for the image that needs to be edited and a link to the thread the image in located in.

More information on the change and what it means for Photobucket users can be found below.

Photobucket Terms of Use Terms | Photobucket

Thank you

Community Support
Please allow me to clarify a couple of things;

The issue is that Photobucket has decided to start charging $400.00 annually for 3rd party image hosting - a service that they previously provided free, for at least a decade that I know of.

I guess Photobucket decided it was time for them to cash in.

If members choose to spend the money - any images/links hosted by Photobucket will still work on this forum.

It will be up to the individual members if they want to do it or not - I did and as a result, all of my posted Photobucket images on the forum are working fine again.

If they choose not to, they will have to find another free 3rd party site to host their images - or maybe just another 3rd party site that doesn't charge so much.

$400.00 sounds pretty expensive - but it only works out to be about $33.33 a month.

The issue in my opinion is, the only option they give you to pay is an annual, recurring subscription; So you have to pay the $400.00 in one shot; However, you do have the option to cancel at anytime, per the terms of their customer agreement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-18-2017 at 10:08 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100 Points: 52,865, Level: 100

2WD
Garage
Thank you for clarifying that, Big Blue. We are still waiting on our techs to come up with a more concrete solution as the suggested above is a temporary fix we can provide right now. If we encounter any other useful tips, we'll share them with you.

As such, one of our guys did find this and it works great for Chrome users. We've come across an extension that will enable you to see the broken images hosted from PB. Another temp fix for now (who knows how long it'll hold up) but here it is - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en <- click on that link and do the following:

Add Ext > open the added ext at the top right corner of your browser "P" > select Manage Ext > tick off the box for both Allow in Cognito and Allow access to file URLs > refresh link of affected images to see they're visible again!

If you find anything that works for you, please share it with us and let us know what device/browser you are using so we can spread the word and help out as many as we can. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,
Natalie

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that, Big Blue. We are still waiting on our techs to come up with a more concrete solution as the suggested above is a temporary fix we can provide right now. If we encounter any other useful tips, we'll share them with you.

As such, one of our guys did find this and it works great for Chrome users. We've come across an extension that will enable you to see the broken images hosted from PB. Another temp fix for now (who knows how long it'll hold up) but here it is - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en <- click on that link and do the following:

Add Ext > open the added ext at the top right corner of your browser "P" > select Manage Ext > tick off the box for both Allow in Cognito and Allow access to file URLs > refresh link of affected images to see they're visible again!

If you find anything that works for you, please share it with us and let us know what device/browser you are using so we can spread the word and help out as many as we can. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,
Natalie
Thanks Natalie.

I've already started reaching out to some of the forum members that I know use Photobucket and have been bringing them up to speed with what's happening.

I'll let you know if I come across any other fixes that work.

For future reference, I'm using Mozilla Firefox version 51.0.1 (32-bit).

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-18-2017 at 10:06 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Question

Quote:
Hello,

Photobucket.com has recently changed its terms of service for free users on their platform. As of June 20 images hosted by Photobucket and shared on our forum, or any other third party sites, will no longer appear. As a result, you may notice a higher amount of broken images on the forum.

Photobucket Terms of Use Terms | Photobucket

Thank you

Community Support
Attention Administrators;

I'm asking for some clarification on this issue with Photobucket please - as far as what actions you would like the Moderators to take.

Do you want us to contact members about their broken Photobucket image links to find out if they intend to upgrade their Photobucket account or not?

If we do contact them and they inform us that they have no intention of doing so, do you want the broken image links removed from the forum - or do you prefer to leave the forum cluttered with broken image links like this?

If I can confirm with the affected members they have no intentions of upgrading their Photobucket accounts; I see no benefit to leaving the forum littered with broken links like this - and if it was my decision, I'd simply remove them.

They could then re-post their images if they open another account with another image-hosting website - And if they needed help re-posting their images, of course I'd be more than happy to assist them.

But it's not my decision, so, any guidance the administrators can give would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-19-2017 at 03:32 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

2WD
Garage
Hi there

Tech is still trying to work something out on our end that would hopefully correct those broken links, but no word on that as of yet.

In the meantime, we have been helping members get back to edit their posts and attach their images directly there, or update links to a new hosting site.

All members have unlimited attachment storage space here, so it would be recommended that the images are attached directly to the post. Then no one has to worry about another hosting site breaking all the images again.

If you could work with members to get them sorted out as you see it, it would definitely be appreciated

Thanks!
Dayle

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Two things to note.

The broken links will still take you to a Photobucket page showing the full image, so changing them to links might be better than completely deleting them. You might be able to get a script to fix everything.

As for alternate hosting, I've used ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs for many years, and I've been pretty happy with them.

Racer_X

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm correct.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Hi there

Tech is still trying to work something out on our end that would hopefully correct those broken links, but no word on that as of yet.

In the meantime, we have been helping members get back to edit their posts and attach their images directly there, or update links to a new hosting site.

All members have unlimited attachment storage space here, so it would be recommended that the images are attached directly to the post. Then no one has to worry about another hosting site breaking all the images again.

If you could work with members to get them sorted out as you see it, it would definitely be appreciated

Thanks!
Dayle
Since your tech is working on the issue and may be able to restore broken links, you do not want any broken links deleted like Big Blue wants to do do you? In my opinion going through the whole forum and looking for broken image links is a lot of unnecessary work and really accomplishes nothing. There has always been broken image links because of members closing their image hosting sites account, probably not realizing or thinking about the fact that it would delete the images anywhere they had linked them. Also, at some point Photobucket may decide that their new plan may not be working and decide to make the links viable again. If so, if Big Blue goes through the forum deleting the broken links then that would hurt instead of help. Just my thoughts on the issue.
Racer_X likes this.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Hi there

Thanks!
Dayle
Copy that Dayle.

Thank you.

I'll be standing by for any further guidance.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100 Points: 58,763, Level: 100
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Copy that Dayle.

Thank you.

I'll be standing by for any further guidance.
I would appreciate if you would wait for a reply to my concerns before you start deleting stuff. Also, do NOT delete any of my broken links.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander News & Polls > JeepCommander.com Site Issues & Website Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in