Throttle Bodies - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Throttle Bodies

Been looking around on the forum and I dont see much discussion on TBs so my question is has anyone experimented with larger TBs and seen noticeable gains from it on a 4.7? And if so, who is the manufacturer? Back when I owned a Mitsu 3000GT I noticed a difference in that car with a new TB.

My situation: Currently deployed to Afghanistan and Ill be home on July 12th. Im wanting to have some parts ready for me when I get back so I dont have to wait. Help would be appreciated.

Billy, Out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Billy,

First of all thanks for your service in Afghanistan, be safe and get home next month.

Many of us have changed from the stock air filter and all that plastic housing over to different Cold Air Intakes. I have a K&N system and it got rid of a trash can full of plastic and woke up the sound of the engine. It along with the more open exhaust certainly made the engine at least feel stronger. It could be because of the sound, but it did feel like it was worth it.

I do not know of any of us changing the size of the throttle body. I do not think that you will need a lot more power than the 4.7 in most situations. If you really want to upgrade the power I would think that it is easier to trade up to a Hemi. I personally have never found a situation where I needed more than the 4.7 has.

By the way, I choose the 4.7 over the Hemi because I liked the idea that it could run on an alternate fuel. Given the uncertainly about what might happen in the future and the fact that I like to think of my Commander as a go anywhere expedition vehicle I like options.

Edit: I looked up a 70 mm throttle body for the 4.7 up to 2006. It was about $400 with shipping and tax. I would suggest that you start with a CAI for much less and see what your results are. Here is the link to the TB.

http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/products.htm#6872

Here is a picture of a cleaned up intake on a 4.7,

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 06-06-2010 at 02:32 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Points: 8,276, Level: 61 Points: 8,276, Level: 61 Points: 8,276, Level: 61
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 169,000
Send a message via AIM to bp73
I initially wanted the Hemi, but discounts on the 4.7 when I was shopping made it a no-brainer. I purchased mine the day 87 octane hit $5 here in Atlanta. That having been said, I must agree w/HueyPilotVN in that the 4.7 has more than enough power (not to say one might not WANT more = HEMI) - and it appears as though his is loaded down w/enough gear to support a small expeditionary force. I've gone the other way and have got "my little mule Pepe" down to 4960 pounds w/half a tank of gas and the guys @ work call him "The Bimmer Eater." To make an excruciatingly long reply shorter - you'll definitely want to replace the whole intake assembly (including the air box and resonator/baffle) and get rid of the 90 pound restrictive muffler. As for the TB, check out the link below. I have no data logging to prove one way or the other in regards to performance (as it's still next on the list for purchase), but, for the price, it's a mod I'm willing to investigate. Keep in mind, any of these mods put into active duty individually probably won't raise your heart rate. But combine them and put them under the management of a device (did someone say SuperChips???) that can help the 4.7 utilize their potential, and the result is quite entertaining (to say the least). I've got the first-run 235HP 4.7 - @ WOT I honestly get slammed into the seat when 1UP hits 2nd gear

I've been watching this guy for a while and nothing but good reviews/experiences. $180 +$40 core charge. He ships to you, then drop your core in the mail and get the $40 back. No down time w/exception to the replacement labor.
http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies47.asp

With my current intake (I first built a 3" this is a 4") I can't help but think a few more millimeters at the bore would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0094.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	3627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0098.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	3628  

Last edited by bp73; 06-06-2010 at 09:12 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 127,000
Here is a site the deals with 4.7 http://www.airram.com/index.php
I do not know if anyof it would work. If you start doing to many upgrades I would suppose you would have to have a custom tune done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in