Off Topic: Diesel for an '03 Wrangler? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Off Topic: Diesel for an '03 Wrangler?

Sorry to get a little off topic, but does anyone know if there is a crate diesel available that will work in an '03 Wrangler (Rubicon model, 5spd manual)?

I used to have an 03 Rubicon, but with my son (among other reasons) I needed to upgrade and hence my commander. My old Rubicon went to my older brother who has now racked it up to about 180k miles and it is getting to need enough engine work that just a full replacement makes sense. My brother, who as a tree hugger I find it ironic drives a 13 mpg wrangler, would like to upgrade to a diesel for better economy and I like the idea since diesel is just a better engine, IMHO, if you care more about low end torque and durability than speed.

And, since I will be probably doing the swap for him I would like to make it more interesting than a simple (relative term) replacement. I tried good ole' google and found out that mopar did a research project with a diesel engine built for the Egyptian military with an eye to offering it as a crate engine, but I couldn't find a simple crate being sold anywhere... does anyone know if, 1) this idea came to fruition, or 2) barring that, if there is another crate engine that can be readily adapted for this function?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Points: 2,049, Level: 27 Points: 2,049, Level: 27 Points: 2,049, Level: 27
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

i know that if you search around putting a 4BT cummins diesel in a jeep isnt terribly difficult so long as the axles can handle the torque. my roommate and i are currently searching for a rolling CJ chassis to try and do this same swap. with a rubicon you should be good i think because both axles are dana 44s if i'm not mistaken. i dont know how the transmission would mate up but i think its possible from what i've heard. let me know if you try it.

2006 3.7 Tan 4x4

K&N CAI, shorty antenna, brush guard with twin Hella 500FF halogens, OEM fog lights (I did it so it's a mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), magnaflow muffler, 2" RC

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Rah Virginia Mil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in