Failed Emissions Test - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Points: 15,648, Level: 80 Points: 15,648, Level: 80 Points: 15,648, Level: 80
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Failed Emissions Test

2006, 4.7L, 54k miles
Just failed my second emissions test in Illinois.. ugh

1st test:
Catalytic Converter EFF: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor: Not Ready

2nd test:
Catalytic Converter EFF: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor: Not Ready
Evaporative Control System: Not Ready

Over the last 3 years, the XK has passed the tests... no issues..

History:
6 months ago, replaced battery
1 month ago, installed Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler (no leaks, welds look great)
2 weeks ago or so, used superchip 3875 to change tire size program the 87 Octane power level
1 week ago, installed Kenwood amplifier audio upgrade (disconnected battery at the same time)

After first test failure......
Left battery connected
Set ECU back to stock using the superchip
Went through 1/2 tank of fuel on the highway hoping to set missing parameters after batt disconnect

The 2nd failure now has a 3rd error with the evap system...what the??

I used the superchip to check for existing DTC's and only 1 found. Only the superchip could read this code, the "key dance" method showed no errors in the instrument panel.

U0184 Lost Communication With Radio

I've had this error since I replaced my factory radio with aftermarket back in 2007. Highly doubt it's related to the issue at hand.
Additional codes would be a good thing right now but unfortunately, all systems are clear and have been for a few years.

While concerned about the O2 sensors, I used the superchip data logging option to show real time values with the engine running.
O2 Voltage: Similar numbers for all 4 sensors which fluctuate with idle speed
O2 Trim: B1S1 & B2S1 fluctuate... B1S2 & B2S2 are both set at 99.21% and don't change.

Is it safe to assume the O2 Sensors are fine because I'm able to get real time data from all 4???? I do have some sluggishness during idle or acceleration but it's extremely rare when this happens.

Maybe the amplifier is drawing too much current to allow the battery to accurately report OBD data?!?!? To confirm, I plan to disconnect the battery and inline fuse to prevent the amp from turning on. Then driving the heck out of it....

For grins, I wanted to see how much voltage the amp was really pulling from the battery, so again, I used the trusty superchip to monitor "Con. Mon. Voltage".
Started the XK with the radio and amp off...
At idle, voltage was between 14.1 - 14.4
Turned the radio on and increased the volume slowly.. Thanks to Sgt. Pepper for the diagnostic support..
With the track almost to max, voltage was between 13.75 - 14.2
I'll have a 1 Farad cap installed in the next week or so to help keep the voltage in normal range.

This is a head scratcher... Maybe a bad O2 sensor?? Any other tips to diagnose without pulling the sensors? Are their specific banks/sensors which fail more frequently among others?

My procrastination with the emissions test isn't helping either.. My license expires on Jan 31st and I can't renew without a passed test. Oops!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Just stopped by the jeep dealer for an oil change and spoke with a tech.
They also believe its related to the amp so we'll see what happens in the next day or so.

On another note... they discovered a major issue caused by a noobish oil change tech within the past year or so.
Guessing someone cross threaded the oil pan drain plug and took the liberty of replacing the plug with a temp plug. The plug resembles a drywall T anchor which widens inside the pan. The plug screws in and has a grommet to seal against the pan. If I were to unscrew the plug enough, it would pop off and the anchor would be left swimming around in the pan.

I have no idea who might have done this because I've had the oil changed in several locations.
The plug works for now but I eventually need to replace the oil pan.

Something new every day!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

i would stop using the programmer, they override the pcm and could prevent the moniters from running also clearing codes reset all moniters. after a battery disconnect it takes
a long time for the moniters to run and pass, causing the failure on your
emission test. if you have low battery power and you start your commander the draw from the starter draws the battery voltage too low and acts like a battery disconnect. 1 way to tell if all your moniters have passed is turn the key to run.. not start and look at the check engine light during the bulb test. if its flashing the moniters havent pass but if its on solid they have passed, then it will turn off if theres no dtc.
go for a long drive at highway speeds and check to see if all moniters have passed.

is your check engine light on?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

YAHOOO!!

Just passed on my 3rd attempt!!!!!!!

Since the last failure, I.....
Had a standard oil change at the Jeep dealership.
Pulled the aftermarket amp fuse and at the same time, disconnected + and - on the battery terminals then touched both together (This was the advice of a Jeep technician who does most of the work on the XK's in the shop). Said it will reset all components this way.
I left the fuse out and drove about 10 miles, city driving..
Took it on the interstate for a 30 mile round trip.

Passed it today at lunch... PHEW!
The 4th visit would have required a receipt from a mechanic.

Moparguy...
Nope, never had a CEL come on while driving.
I tried your suggestions before the test today.. All lights were solid and eventually went off. The only 2 left on the display were the CEL and oil.
Believe the CEL not going off might be due to the radio code that continues to pop up because of the aftermarket radio. Not too sure on that one..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaro76 View Post
YAHOOO!!

Just passed on my 3rd attempt!!!!!!!

Since the last failure, I.....
Had a standard oil change at the Jeep dealership.
Pulled the aftermarket amp fuse and at the same time, disconnected + and - on the battery terminals then touched both together (This was the advice of a Jeep technician who does most of the work on the XK's in the shop). Said it will reset all components this way.
I left the fuse out and drove about 10 miles, city driving..
Took it on the interstate for a 30 mile round trip.

Passed it today at lunch... PHEW!
The 4th visit would have required a receipt from a mechanic.

Moparguy...
Nope, never had a CEL come on while driving.
I tried your suggestions before the test today.. All lights were solid and eventually went off. The only 2 left on the display were the CEL and oil.
Believe the CEL not going off might be due to the radio code that continues to pop up because of the aftermarket radio. Not too sure on that one..

Congrats on the 3rd attempt......I on the other hand had failed my 3rd attempted inspection. My license tag is due the end of the month. I did the test that moparguy posted and I too had all display go off but the 2 you said. But, my CEL stayed on then flashed 10x then continued to stay on. I am at the end of my wits here and not sure what to do to where I wouldn't have to spend a whole lotta cash.

Not sure of what amp fuse you are speaking of or where it is located.....did you also leave the fuse out for the inspection?

I will try the battery disconnection and try to get inspection done this weekend, any other pointers you may have would greatly be appreciated.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

run a can of sefoam through it cant hurt
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhof View Post
Congrats on the 3rd attempt......I on the other hand had failed my 3rd attempted inspection. My license tag is due the end of the month. I did the test that moparguy posted and I too had all display go off but the 2 you said. But, my CEL stayed on then flashed 10x then continued to stay on. I am at the end of my wits here and not sure what to do to where I wouldn't have to spend a whole lotta cash.

Not sure of what amp fuse you are speaking of or where it is located.....did you also leave the fuse out for the inspection?

I will try the battery disconnection and try to get inspection done this weekend, any other pointers you may have would greatly be appreciated.
He meant that he had added a AMPlifier to his system and it was apparently causing a backfeed of sorts....making the computer misbehave.

By removing the fuse (powering the amplifier) and driving it for a few days, the computer was able to re-establish its testing parameters.

So, don't waste time looking for a fuse you wouldn't have.

Now, regarding your Commander....what state are you in and what part of the test did you fail?

Rob
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
He meant that he had added a AMPlifier to his system and it was apparently causing a backfeed of sorts....making the computer misbehave.

By removing the fuse (powering the amplifier) and driving it for a few days, the computer was able to re-establish its testing parameters.

So, don't waste time looking for a fuse you wouldn't have.

Now, regarding your Commander....what state are you in and what part of the test did you fail?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I realized what he was talking about after I posted.

I am in North Carolina and it was the safety and emissions (OBDII) that I wasn't able to pass. The report showed that the Catalyst and the O2 Sensor were not completed.

I bought this Commander 2 years ago and had to replace the battery(the only time the battery has been disconnected) Haven't had any problems with it up til now. Oil change was done just before the 2nd inspection attempt and the inspection still came up with the not-ready rejection. The mechanic told me to put about 50 miles on the vehicle then bring it back in for inspection the following day. So today i took it back in for a 3 attempt.....rejected!!!! So now they tell me to put 100 miles on then bring it back. Haven't done that yet, made an appointment to take the Jeep in to the local Jeep Dealer. I will go from there.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Since you indicate there is no CEL illuminated, the test facility is getting a 'not ready' report.
Your decision to stop at the dealer, in this situation, is a good one.
They should be able to force the system to perform all OBDII tests.

If the cat was dead, or the 02 wasn't responding there would be a light.

Best of luck,
Rob
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Points: 1,197, Level: 18 Points: 1,197, Level: 18 Points: 1,197, Level: 18
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%

i had the same problem with my 07 dodge ram i had disconnected the battarey after repalcing the fuse box. next day took it to the emissions test and failed monitors not ready. so i drove it hard for a 100 miles and went back the next day and passed. all you need to do is just drive it so that the monitor start reading and are ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in