powertrax for 8.25QTII - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

powertrax for 8.25QTII

Hello guys first post on here long time jeep owner and first time xk owner. Im interested in putting a powertrax limited slip in the rear and have searched the forum but havent found anyone running one yet. Wondering if that because with the "limited slip" action of the qt2 would keep it from working or if it it because it wont work or fit with us not having the c-clip axle which i wouldnt think would matter. Im not really wanting to go the ARB route because of the financial burden that would be. Ive just put 1400 in lift and tires this past weekend and am wanting the back to be able to lock together instead of just one wheel braking. Any suggestions or other options would be appreaciated. i do most highway driving but with camping, mild trails, and even beaches being part of my usual plans i want added traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
The forum generally agrees (I believe) that the Power Trax will work, but you are right, no one is running it.

I would like to put a powertrax no-slip in one day, but it is not a high priority and with the QTII would only be needed in extreem rare situations (if ever).

You can lift 2 wheels in the air (caddy corner) on these and still push forward with the brake traction control. It applies brake to the wheels in the air so torque goes to the ones on the ground.

The only benefit would be that with the powertrax you would get more torque to the wheels on the ground with slightly (though the stock system reacts quick) less delay.

So for the type of driving you mention you really don't need it, QTII is quite capable, but it wouldn't hurt and as I mentioned, I wouldn't mind having one myself.

It is NOT recommended in the front due to the full time 4wd.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

When I think about the trails I've been on and others as well as to include the beach and some deep deep soft sand I don't think any upgrade other then the locker is worth the investment. The QT2 has never let me down yet even with just two wheels on the ground and climbing muddy hills. Save your money and get something else like armor or bumpers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, im just not familiar with QT2 and its abilities. I think ill hold off and get the arb setup at a later time if this is the case. Ive had several fully locked XJs and a couple Rubicons so this is new territory with this breaking trac control. Is ARB or anyone making a locker for the front that wasnt clear in any of the threads i was reading. I like to be prepared.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
As far as I know the front diff we use is particular 2006 - 2010 xk and wk jeeps and as such there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket support for it regarding lockers, limited slips or even gears outside of those offered from the factory.

At least one fellow on the board upgraded from QTII to QDII, requiring full axle swaps electronics supporting wire harnesses and recoding the vin from a certified jeep center.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, well then guess I'll price shop between an ARB setup for the rear vs a QD2 setup. Junkyard time I know I seen a couple in a local yard do maybe I'll get lucky and find one with QD2. Thanks Thance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in