Computer Tune - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 88750
Garage
Computer Tune

So I was washing my Commander today next to a guy with a mustang w/ multiple mods. He mentioned that he got his engine Computer Tuned for about $400

Is this worth it? and is that the actual average cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 180000
If you start doing engine mods to the hemi you'll need to tune it to get the most performance gains from the mods. If you do heavy mods (beyond intake and exhaust) you may need to tune it just so that it still runs right without throwing codes. This will require a custom tune.

Outside of heavy mods you can gain a few horsepower (maybe 20) by installing an aftermarket tune on an otherwise stock vehicle and running premium fuel.

I have a diablo itune1000 that comes with preset tunes and can also be custom tuned by a speed shop for more serious mods.

On the stock vehicle it's nothing to brag about, but something to play with. You can try the different out of the box tunes and notice a little milage increase or a little performance increase depending on which way you go. You can also monitor and record tons of engine parameters and fine tune quite a bit without going to the shop if you are so inclined.

Keep in mind that the rule of $10/additional HP is a rough rule a thumb that still applies fairly well for well thought out mods, though I think it can be expanded to $10 - $50 / HP in today's market.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

I'd spend that dough on a Hyperchips programmer instead. Not only rewrite performance tuning to the ECM itself, but change tire size when doing a lift kit etc. to re-calibrate the speedometer, reads/resets error codes, (Shows errors in plain English too) and displays up to four engine parameters while driving.

Need to tow a big boat? (or whatever) Just rewrite into towing mode. Then rewrite to economy mode when done.

I just had problems with a wheel sensor. I used the programmer to see it was a right rear sensor. Reset the codes, drove 'til it started acting up, then re-read the codes. (I just had the sensor replaced yesterday) Not only saved expensive diagnostic fees, but I knew ahead of time what the problems were, so there's no way to get snowed by the dealer/repair shop. And, when you reel off the error codes it had, they then know they YOU know what's up, so the BS of trying to sell you un-needed repairs never even gets started.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Hey Adono what MPG gains did you see with the Hypertech chip I have not read any reviews of anyone using one for the 4.7 jeep commander. Since I have a 4.7 it would be nice to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
I'd spend that dough on a Hyperchips programmer instead. Not only rewrite performance tuning to the ECM itself, but change tire size when doing a lift kit etc. to re-calibrate the speedometer, reads/resets error codes, (Shows errors in plain English too) and displays up to four engine parameters while driving.

Need to tow a big boat? (or whatever) Just rewrite into towing mode. Then rewrite to economy mode when done.

I just had problems with a wheel sensor. I used the programmer to see it was a right rear sensor. Reset the codes, drove 'til it started acting up, then re-read the codes. (I just had the sensor replaced yesterday) Not only saved expensive diagnostic fees, but I knew ahead of time what the problems were, so there's no way to get snowed by the dealer/repair shop. And, when you reel off the error codes it had, they then know they YOU know what's up, so the BS of trying to sell you un-needed repairs never even gets started.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

4WD
Current Mileage: 88750
Garage
This seems pretty involved and costly. I removed the snorkel and will be ordering a K&N...for now I think this will please me :P

Thanks for the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in