Anyone add a front air dam under the stock bumper to see if it helped fuel mileage? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,783, Level: 49 Points: 5,783, Level: 49 Points: 5,783, Level: 49
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Anyone add a front air dam under the stock bumper to see if it helped fuel mileage?

I saw a kit on ebay for some sports type cars that adds a stick-on air dam/valance (foam rubber) onto the original air dam to reduce drag on the front end. Would this help on our Commanders that pretty much only see highway miles?

I figured this might be a cheap return on investment if it does in fact work. But I wonder to what degree it would help the flying brick? Of course, I am thinking highway speeds. My commute to work is about to add about another 20 minutes to my already 40 minute commute. 90% of it is highway.

Thoughts? I searched for "air dam" and "valance" and came up with no results here.

I am thinking CAI, New muffler and royal purple oil/filter to help with efficiency and performance. I don't expect much gains but figured It might be better than it is right now.

Also curious if the aftermarket sunroof air dam for the commander will reduce drag over the top of the vehicle at all or make it worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Points: 2,746, Level: 31 Points: 2,746, Level: 31 Points: 2,746, Level: 31
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I think it would be a waste of money, our rigs are not built for fuel economy, there are built for endurance. You have to look at this way, our rigs are big boxes on wheels. I would rather spend my money on offroading gear than anything to help fuel economy, because you are not going to see a big change.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I can't stopping looking at your avatar. I don't off road. I do enjoy the flexibility it gives me with winter driving and the interior space it provides for hauling my family and stuff around.

Just curious if adding $15 worth of foam rubber stripping would net me anything measurable or if anyone had tried such a thing. And if so what are the results? It is the one thing I haven't seen (so far) mentioned or tried by anyone here trying to gain a little efficiency out of their highway driving.

Since I will be driving 2 hrs or more per day compared to my current 1 hr 20 minutes, anything I get out of performance or efficiency mods may well be worth it in the end.

Plus, I have an interest in purchasing a wind deflector for the sunroof. If other Commander owners report that mpg goes down with it installed it may be something to avoid. If no change was measured either way I may get one to reduce glare when I have it open.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Points: 2,746, Level: 31 Points: 2,746, Level: 31 Points: 2,746, Level: 31
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I would suggest to the regular maintenance, oil change and filter change with Mobil 1, air filter, checking and replacing spark plugs, tire pressure, weight in the vehicle and just not having a lead foot..LOL
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 110000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakenator View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can't stopping looking at your avatar. .
DENIED I agree though the best thing i did for mine was getting the suitcase off, throwing in mobile1 5w20, tire pressure and a/c off. also you can relearn the ecu by going easy on it and then the mds will kick in more often. Annoying in my opinion but i ended up getting 18.2 from boston to NY holding 65-70. Im ok with that,
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. It does help. Yeah I have been able to get better MPG performance by using the cruise control, keeping it at a speed where the rpm's are around 2k or lower, no jackrabbit starts. Those seem to work best I have noticed. It sucks when traffic gets bumper to bumper though and crushes my groove with the cruise control.

Depending on how I drive I have seen up to 18.2 MPG over a full tank with mixed driving. Looking at my driving today it is about 70 hiway/30 city. I wouldn't mind squeezing out a few more MPG's if it can be done reasonably. I am sure once I start commuting further my average should go up because I will be driving more like 80-90 hiway/10-20 city. But I will be driving further nonetheless.

I also removed the third row seating since my kids are still in car seats and boosters. With those in place no one could use the third row anyway. That had to remove at least 100 lbs from the vehicle.

I had all the maintenance performed last summer, Plugs, tune up, drivetrain fluids. That seemed to help. If anything it helped to maintain my mpg. Just had an oil change today and a state inspection and they told me my transmission cooler lines are leaking. I looked and sure enough they are. So that comes next.

Once in awhile I do put my foot in it and enjoy it and I do enjoy the commander. It is fun to drive.

Last edited by Drakenator; 01-31-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: text
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 110000
IM an Idiot, You have the 3.7. No MDS. sorry... also i don't think you use 5w20 either.. Sompe people go extreme and remove the extra tire.. Im debating doing this, after all, its what AAA is for...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah I run nitro in the tires. It was part of the costco tires deal. I need to have them rotated and topped off once again. They do that part for free. I just have to find the time to drop it off and wait.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Its a crappy product that would do nothing except fall off and show everyone your an eBay sucker. Even if it did redirect and increase airflow, our jeeps inlet draws from the grill area, not beneath.

I don't off road in a Prius, and I didnt buy a commander for fuel mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Tags
air dam , drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in