synthetic motor oil - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

synthetic motor oil

Hi all! Have any of you commander owners changed the motor oil over to the synthetic motor oil. I'v use it in all my cars. I can not find any info from jeep or mopar for the use of synthetic oils in there engines. Like to hear from you guys on what you think. Should i switch over to synthetic oil or just leave it alone. I presently have Mopar 5w-20 regular oil in my jeep commander. Get back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Synthetic oil can be used in any engine. Just about every member here who is serious about their vehicles uses full synthetic oil. I use Mobil1 Extended Performance full synthetic. See this thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7459&highlight=oil&page=5

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 11-04-2013 at 03:08 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

thanks for info

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Synthetic Oil is 100% compatible with Conventional/Mineral Oil, you can switch back and forth or even mix them together. (But its NOT recommended to mix different oils, NOT because they may be incompatible, but because you less likely to create a better special formula than just an oil already manufactured).

One note, most have already touched on it in other threads. There are two kinds of "True Synthetic Oil".

Castrol started marketing conventional/mineral oil that under went a highly refined process called "Hydrocracking", that does modify the molecule and is loosely a synthesizing process, as "Synthetic" and was sued by the other Synthetic Oil manufacturers. The courts decided "Synthetic" is just a marketing term and as long as there was some sort of synthesizing process, you can call it synthetic.

So, to rub it in after the verdict, Castrol actually had the gal to put "True Synthetic" on bottle, and sell it for the same price as the other "True Synthetic"'s despite it costing half as much to produce. So its NOT hard to imagine the other manufacturers saw this working so well with such a high profit margin and went the same way.

And before you get really upset if you've been using Castrol Syntec or others, like Penzoil, don't worry, the "Hydrocracked" NOT so "True Synthetic" oil is still superior oil and much better than other conventional oil, your engine was well protected.

Group II Oils are the typical conventional oils you buy in the store.
Group III Oils are the highly refined "Hydrocracked" oils, they are conventional oil base stock, they are better but they are NOT as good as the next group.
Group IV Oils are what people think of when they think of "Synthetic" oil, these are PAO or other fully synthesized base stock, that the molecule is constructed from the ground up with basic chemicals. Group III produces their result working backwards, taking the conventional molecule and modify most of them close to the ideal molecule.

Mobil 1, its been a big debate if they have gone the way of the others and use Group III oils for base stock. Most believe they have NOT and Mobil 1 is still at least 70% PAO base stock. The more exotic brands, like Royal Purple and AMSOIL are PAO base stock. (Note AMSOIL has started selling a cheaper line of motor oil, OE and XL, that most believe is Group III base stock, and they seem to admit it with a disclaimer on the bottle that it is their less expensive and NOT as long lasting as their other products).

Readers Digest Version:
Get Mobil 1 in the 5 qt Jug from Walmart, its barely more than good conventional oil, it will do great in your Commander and just about any other vehicle that recommends the current API certified motor oils.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Points: 665, Level: 13 Points: 665, Level: 13 Points: 665, Level: 13
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Royal purple and slick 50 is what I run in my hemi. On a side note, I have run this combo for years in my vehicles. I have a 93 jimmy with 280000 on it and still running strong. Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Short answer yes. However, if you Commander has a lot of miles and it has been using conventional oil for most of its life, once you switch to synthetic it may start to develop a slow leak. Many have their strong opinions about this subject so you might want to hear from real world experience.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

I got my Commander at 116k. If I were to guess, I'd say it had been running conventional as none of the other regular maintenance was followed.

I immediately began running a blend for about 18k miles (wasn't doing my own oil at this time - didn't want to pay for full), and just did the swap to M1 full synthetic extended performance with the matching filter about 2k miles ago. No issues to speak of, and it's cheaper to do it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in