oil idiot light - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Points: 507, Level: 10 Points: 507, Level: 10 Points: 507, Level: 10
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

oil idiot light

I have a 2008 Commander, Limited w/ 4.7L Hemi (semi-Hemi, according to some). I LOVE it! I think I am second owner. First owner purchased it from a dealer in Alaska and has taken good care of it. I bought it from a dealership in Colorado. They said the owner moved here from Alaska. Check of the VIN shows the same story. Has many nice creature comfort features; heated seats, fog lights, video disk player, Sirius radio, Boston speakers throughout. Loving it. Not having any performance issues. Commute about 100 miles RT, daily. Getting 17-18 mpg. I would like to replace? the oil idiot light and install an oil pressure sending unit and gauge. Much more useful of a tool for my driving delight. Not sure if that switch can be replaced with a pressure sender. Or if I will need to find an adapter fitting plate for the oil filter. I think I remember discussions of this from somewhere but, now that I want that info, it eludes me. Thanks in advance for any info at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I did a how to on my Autometer Gauge Install.
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...tometer+gauges

You can replace the idiot light switch with a sending unit if you desire. Myself, I kept the idiot light (I have other family members that drive the vehicle that need it). There is a capped off journal just above the oil filter that you can attach a fitting then the oil pressure sending unit while leaving the idiot light switch intact.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliemello View Post
I have a 2008 Commander, Limited w/ 4.7L Hemi (semi-Hemi, according to some). I LOVE it! I think I am second owner. First owner purchased it from a dealer in Alaska and has taken good care of it. I bought it from a dealership in Colorado. They said the owner moved here from Alaska. Check of the VIN shows the same story. Has many nice creature comfort features; heated seats, fog lights, video disk player, Sirius radio, Boston speakers throughout. Loving it. Not having any performance issues. Commute about 100 miles RT, daily. Getting 17-18 mpg. I would like to replace? the oil idiot light and install an oil pressure sending unit and gauge. Much more useful of a tool for my driving delight. Not sure if that switch can be replaced with a pressure sender. Or if I will need to find an adapter fitting plate for the oil filter. I think I remember discussions of this from somewhere but, now that I want that info, it eludes me. Thanks in advance for any info at all.
The 5.7L is the only Hemi you will find in a Commander.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliemello View Post
I have a 2008 Commander, Limited w/ 4.7L Hemi (semi-Hemi, according to some)....
Hemi is short for Hemispherical Combustion Chamber. It can NOT truly be a Hemispherical Combustion Chamber, so it has often been described as a Semi-Hemispherical Head. (i.e. half a hemisphere in the head.

There is also Penta-Roof designed heads, for double intake/exhaust valves, these have been described as partial or semi-hemi, because the shape is a blocked off semi-hemisphere, with many of the same benefits.

Its a Hemi, people calling it a semi-hemi are confusing terms, being so literal they're confusing or making up their own terms, perhaps for something like the 3rd generation Hemi being smaller than the previous generations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in