Superchips Flashpaq F5 Model 3874 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 9,681, Level: 66 Points: 9,681, Level: 66 Points: 9,681, Level: 66
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Superchips Flashpaq F5 Model 3874

I have never purchased a programmer for any car I've owned but after reading posts on this forum, I decided to try it. I did it mostly to adjust the tire size after recently installing taller tires. I received the Flashpaq in the mail yesterday and was irritated by the fact that Superchips website didn't support Mac OS for updates. Seriously Superchips...it's 2016!

Anyways, I called Superchips to see if any updates had even been issued to determine if I needed to find a friend with a Windows OS computer. Tech support said just plug the Flashpaq into the Commander and it will tell me if it needs an update. It did not.

The process was incredibly easy and only took about 15 minutes. The model I purchased appears to be an updated version of the Flashpaqs I have seen pictures of on this forum. So I changed the tire tire and selected the 91 octane tuning because I live in California where 93 octane is not available. I also selected the Superchips value for shift points and rev limiter. I'm busy working today so I haven't taken it out today to drive it but I will make a post with observations after driving it. I made sure to fill up with 91 octane yesterday in anticipation of the download.

So here is my question for those of you more experienced with using a Flashpaq. I have read on the internet that some people in California will use a Flashpaq to tune their vehicle to a 93 octane and throw in octane boost each time they fill up with 91 octane.

1. Is this advisable? Why or why not?
2. Would there actually be a perceptible difference in performance?

Obviously, I would prefer not to deal with the added chore of buying octane boost, carrying around octane boost, and pouring in octane boost each time I fill up. Any advice from the more experienced Commander owners would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5531.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	19033  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

Were you able to do anything with the TPMS settings? I was not, so I called superchips. I got the run around for 2 weeks before they told me those options were not available for my vehicle.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,649, Level: 95 Points: 24,649, Level: 95 Points: 24,649, Level: 95
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I just ordered the Superchips Flashpaq F5 Programmer (Part # 3874) as well since the F4 Flashpaq is no longer available.

I wish the OP would have followed up after his initial post.

Oh well, I'll figure it out when it gets here.

Superchips Flashpaq F5 Programmer for 98-14 Jeep® Vehicles | Quadratec

• High-definition, 2.8" color screen
  • Redesigned graphic interface for improved user experience
  • Increased memory with faster processor for improved tuning and updating speed
  • Power, fuel economy & towing tunes (Up to 20% improvement in power)
  • Eliminate downshifting when climbing hills
  • Adjust idle in real time to run accessories
  • Calibrate for tire sizes from 22.5" to 42"*
  • Tuning works with aftermarket hard parts
  • Automatic transmission shift optimization
  • Exclusive CRAWL off-road tune for JKs
  • Lock Rubicon lockers in 4-HI*
  • Read & clear diagnostic trouble codes
  • Internet updateable with all-new update software via USB
*Features may vary based on year, make & model

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-09-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Solving the myth about the F5 and TPM sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactro View Post
Were you able to do anything with the TPMS settings? I was not, so I called superchips. I got the run around for 2 weeks before they told me those options were not available for my vehicle.
Based on the pictures I'm posting and the experience I'm getting ready to share, I'd surmise that the option to adjust any settings related to the TPM sensors is not available on Jeep Commanders, as superchips has told you - and here is my reasoning:

According to the manual (pictured below) the TPM sensor settings are supposed to be in the "Tire Pressure" sub-menu under "Quick Options". The manual goes on to say that "The availability of the following features depends on the year & model of your Jeep".

Now my F5 is basically brand new - received it a couple of weeks ago and I just updated it again yesterday: These are the only options I have available for my 2008 Commander under "Quick Options" - see the below photo:

The only conclusion I can come to, is that the F5 (3874) Flashpaq does not give you the ability to access the Tire Pressure sub-menu which includes any TPM sensor related settings on Jeep Commanders.

Now I have re-programmed my engine with the 93 Octane performance tune (which I'm quite happy with);
I've also cleared all the old Diagnostic Trouble Codes that were stored and I've successfully adjusted my speedometer by programming in my larger tire size, so it is a very useful tool.

If there is anybody else on this forum that knows something pertaining to this TPM sensor issue that we haven't touched on, by all means, please share whatever usable information you have.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-02-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Points: 6,516, Level: 52 Points: 6,516, Level: 52 Points: 6,516, Level: 52
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 128000
Cant say my experience was the same, so far my determination is the FlashPaq is not simple. It takes forever to read the computer through OBD, and then tells me i need to update it. I plug into my PC, launch ignition and heck says its up to date, go back out to my commander and go through the slow process of plugging it in, clearing codes, turn off ignition, turn on ignition, reading codes, only to be met with your device needs to be updated. wasted another half hour, Plug it back into my PC launch ignition, only to be met with an add on the scree to by an extended warranty, and a message that the device is up to date. Two weeks of this, cant say my experience has been positive, and no response from my email either concerning this. Just got off the phone with Superchips, they are looking into the issue. Some question as if I had after market accessories installed. I don't but who knows what a previous owner had.

Last edited by mbmacc; 03-19-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmacc View Post
Cant say my experience was the same, so far my determination is the FlashPaq is not simple. It takes forever to read the computer through OBD, and then tells me i need to update it. I plug into my PC, launch ignition and heck says its up to date, go back out to my commander and go through the slow process of plugging it in, clearing codes, turn off ignition, turn on ignition, reading codes, only to be met with your device needs to be updated. wasted another half hour, Plug it back into my PC launch ignition, only to be met with an add on the scree to by an extended warranty, and a message that the device is up to date. Two weeks of this, cant say my experience has been positive, and no response from my email either concerning this. Just got off the phone with Superchips, they are looking into the issue. Some question as if I had after market accessories installed. I don't but who knows what a previous owner had.
Things tend to not be simple when you don't follow the instructions.

First off - you should have registered & attempted to update your F5 Flashpaq before you ever plugged it into your Commander - it says that right in the user's manual, so, you could have potentially screwed up the software by doing things out of order.

On the surface you might think that it's not a big deal - but that could very well be what is causing your issues - and why it won't update properly now.

I really don't see anything in your write up that's different then what I posted - other then you didn't do things in the proper order. Everything else you described is the normal operating process - it typically takes about 10-12 minutes to change the tune from start to finish, so no, it's not a quick process.

Worst case scenario you send your tuner back to them and have them send you a replacement unit - and when you get this one - register it & update it BEFORE you plug it in to your Commander.

Here is my write up when I used my Superchips 3874 F5 Flashpaq for the first time out of the box:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...estions-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue
O.K. received my SuperChips (3874) F5 Flashpaq today and had a chance to play with it already and here are a few observations for anybody thinking about getting one.

First off when you get it, you have to go to superchips.com and download a program called "Ignition" which is the update program for the F5 Flashpaq programmer.

Once you download Ignition to your computer you connect your programmer via the USB Cable and register it.

Once you register it, it will ask you if you want to purchase an extended warranty for $37.00 which I did.

Once you accept or decline the warranty, you can check for updates - which I suggest you do before you use it; My F5 had 16 updates/files to download, which took about 10 minutes.

At this point, you can take it out to your vehicle and start playing.

When you hook it up to your Commander - you want to have the ignition on with the engine off/not running.

It will take about 5 minutes to download & read your Engine file - which was a little nerve racking for me because I was getting all kinds of trouble codes while it was doing this - "Check Gauges" "Service 4WD System" "Transmission Overtemp" but apparently this is normal while downloading the engine file, so, don't panic.

I went to change my tire size and to my surprise - the tire size was not listed as 24565R17 (for the stock tire size); It was listed as stock size "28.00" which is the tire height in inches as it turns out. I found a tire chart on my smart phone that listed the tire height of a 26570R17 as 31.6 inches. The F5 Flashpaq only allows you to adjust tire height in .25 inch increments so I changed mine to 31.5 inches which is about as close as you can get to 31.6 inches.

I drove around a little bit and the speedo seems accurate now, where it was about 3.5 - 4 mph off previously.

Somebody on this forum said they called Superchips and said that Superchips told them that you can disable the TPM sensors with this tuner. I am here to tell you that I don't think that's the case. I have not found an option to disable the TPM sensor.

I also programmed my engine for the 93 octane performance tune. Once you finishing tuning your engine it will clear all of your stored DTC codes (if you have any) just follow the prompts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-19-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in