Jeep commander help/future mods/ Problems now. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Smile Jeep commander help/future mods/ Problems now.

Hi im new to the thread and have some questions and such. Im looking to put some mods into my commander. I have the 4.7 engine and i want to get a little more pick up and kick out of it. I have 22 inch rims on it right now and it seems like ever since i added those it doesnt have the same get up and go as it did before and now seems very very sluggish. I've changed the oil i've added fuel injector cleaner and such but it still seems sluggish so My guess is that it is because the rims and will stay that way. I'm interested in adding some horsepower to it. be it exhaust, air box and filter mod, maybe something more? I need some suggestions to people who have done the trail and error and know what is good to do and the correct manufactures to go through. Im located in albany new york but i am moving south to florida within a few months. Im also considering taking off the 22's and getting a lift kit and some other rims and tires to put on it. assuming it will be about the same gas mileage im getting now with these rims as if i lift it 4 inchs and put some 34's on it if possible. Right now im getting around 15mpg. very sucky. Overall im just looking for some input on what i should do to some engine mods or some suspension mods or just to overall make my jeep better. Thank you for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Yes, it's due to the wheels. They're undoubtedly much heavier than the stock combo. Exhaust in general may add some HP, but will generally do so at the cost of bottom end torque. Meaning, you mess with the exhaust, it may seem even more sluggish. Try a K&N aircharger for a little more power.

I'm getting 12mpg and my 4.7 4x4 is basically all stock (100% city). Unfortunately, there isn't a lot out there for the 4.7 crowd. Not that there's a lot for any Commander.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Hey Xpaywithdeath, welcome to the forum! How's Upsate NY?!

Simply removing the air intake snorkel as described in this thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...read.php?t=887
seemed to give me a bit more pick-up, a little more noise, and about a 1MPG increase.. really quick and cheap mod

Also on the intake note Outlandish_Jeep is selling a K&N CAI here: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5260

Check out this thread for info on lift kits: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4753

There is tons of good infos on this forum and great mod ideas, search and dig in to the archives and you'll find all kinda of goodies!

Oh by the way I don't know if you wanna get your XK dirty but you might want check out this thread, I think there's a trail ride, maybe camp, planned on Aug 2nd in the Wharton State Forest(NJ) would be great if you can make it, bsnyder717 was bribing people with free stickers last I saw lol.. https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5460

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Welcome to the forums. VA_06XK pretty much summed everything up for you, so there's no need in repeating. Lots of good info here.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Welcome to the forum!!! Ditto the above.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Send a message via Yahoo to BigPoppaJNutZ
Welcome! Try to make it down to NJ for the gathering. Hopefully we will see you there, and at the VA one if you can make that too in September.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71 Points: 11,973, Level: 71
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppaJNutZ
Welcome! Try to make it down to NJ for the gathering. Hopefully we will see you there, and at the VA one if you can make that too in September.
It'd be QUITE a trip to make it to the VA camping trip, but it'd be worth it. Could meet up with some guys in NJ/PA, and cruise down with them. Check the link in my signature for info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Well thanks very much for the help everyone i appreciate it a lot. Oneee more thing. Any helpful websites that sell all these types of mods. I can googloe search and find it but if theres any you specially use and recomnd feel free to pass it on to me! and i will have no problem getting my jeep dirty. Im getting the trail rated symbol tattooed on me in a few weeks. Maybe ill make it out to the NJ meet up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_06XK
Hey Xpaywithdeath, welcome to the forum! How's Upsate NY?!

Simply removing the air intake snorkel as described in this thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...read.php?t=887
seemed to give me a bit more pick-up, a little more noise, and about a 1MPG increase.. really quick and cheap mod

Also on the intake note Outlandish_Jeep is selling a K&N CAI here: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5260

Check out this thread for info on lift kits: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4753

There is tons of good infos on this forum and great mod ideas, search and dig in to the archives and you'll find all kinda of goodies!

Oh by the way I don't know if you wanna get your XK dirty but you might want check out this thread, I think there's a trail ride, maybe camp, planned on Aug 2nd in the Wharton State Forest(NJ) would be great if you can make it, bsnyder717 was bribing people with free stickers last I saw lol.. https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5460
Welcome to the Forum, most of the above have been tried by members with much success, the rims gotta go if you want to see any major improvement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in