Hydrogen(HYDROXY) fuel cell MOD - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SkulhunterM42

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,574, Level: 37 Points: 3,574, Level: 37 Points: 3,574, Level: 37
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 112k
Garage
Hydrogen(HYDROXY) fuel cell MOD

I've done some pretty extensive research and am motivated and I have started my Hydrogen Hybrid Project.

Has anyone in the community worked on something like this, done it themselves, or have knowledge that could help me in my project.

Stay tuned as I will update the thread with pictures, progress, and performance stats....

All the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 3500
Garage
Very nice! the only experience I have in it is watching mythbusters explode their engine with it. But I'm excited to see where this goes! Good luck.
Jerry'sXK likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

This will be very interesting! I'm sure there are some engineers that successfully done it on other engines.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
This sounds cool!

I am very much into alternative methods for running the Jeeps. I am super jazzed that Tesla's controller module finally got hacked, now we can use his motors in other vehicles.

Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
A hydrogen fuel cell.

Here are my questions to the O.P. who said he has researched this:

How economical & cost effective is that to run on the street every day - and how does it affect the longevity & drive-ability of the engine and the rest of the power train?

Will it hold up and perform adequately in off-road conditions?

Is it a viable, reliable, Long Term power solution?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-10-2016 at 09:15 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
To answer your questions: The Hydrogen/HYDROXY fuel cell is not a total alternative fuel source replacement for typical fossil fueled internal combustion engine. However in the in-progress build it will serve as a supplementary "hybrid" fuel source.

The system is designed to increase engine efficiency in a range of 50-80% of the engine based off of the output of the generator you build... Those stats realistically translate to 25-40% improved economy, and somewhere around 10% improved output of the engine itself. The Hydroxy gas concept simply adds an extra component to the fuel air mixture that increases the actual fuel burn-off in the cylinder during the cycle, also Hydrogen burns cooler than most combustibles therefore does not increase any factor in the designed/ specified operating temperature of the vehicle. Several recorded tests has boasted similar, if not better statistics using commercially produced HYDRO generators, and similar numbers from home-made kits with purchased plans.

Now, to address the issue of use in off-road scenarios... it seems a tad bit iffy... I only say that due to the possibility of "sloshing" the generator too violently and risking over flowing the bubbler(important fail-safe component of the system). However, using the Hydroxy generator to supplement your movement to a trail would prove remarkable, then, simply popping the hood, and disconnecting the system from the intake(done simply by plugging a vacuum line or two) would have you trail ready in a matter of minutes.

I'm looking at about $80 total for the build currently, and considering that the system pulls less than 20amps from the 12V system, and runs solely off of distilled water and 1/2 table spoon of baking soda, I would venture a guess to say that it is incredibly cost effective as a day-to-day addition to a daily driver. the system takes under 5 minutes to reach its maximum output, so anything longer than grabbing some quick groceries, or running to a friends house, the uses could serve to benefit almost every application.

I am about to move halfway across the country from NC, to CO and will be pulling a trailer. So, the 15 mpg I got last time with a trailer just simply will not do, especially as I attempt the drive across Kansas.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
So now I understand this is just a supplement to the existing fuel system - and not a replacement of it.

Sounds interesting.

I'd be curious to hear how much of an impact it really has during your move/tow to Colorado.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 3500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscreamhedake View Post
To answer your questions: The Hydrogen/HYDROXY fuel cell is not a total alternative fuel source replacement for typical fossil fueled internal combustion engine. However in the in-progress build it will serve as a supplementary "hybrid" fuel source.

The system is designed to increase engine efficiency in a range of 50-80% of the engine based off of the output of the generator you build... Those stats realistically translate to 25-40% improved economy, and somewhere around 10% improved output of the engine itself. The Hydroxy gas concept simply adds an extra component to the fuel air mixture that increases the actual fuel burn-off in the cylinder during the cycle, also Hydrogen burns cooler than most combustibles therefore does not increase any factor in the designed/ specified operating temperature of the vehicle. Several recorded tests has boasted similar, if not better statistics using commercially produced HYDRO generators, and similar numbers from home-made kits with purchased plans.

Now, to address the issue of use in off-road scenarios... it seems a tad bit iffy... I only say that due to the possibility of "sloshing" the generator too violently and risking over flowing the bubbler(important fail-safe component of the system). However, using the Hydroxy generator to supplement your movement to a trail would prove remarkable, then, simply popping the hood, and disconnecting the system from the intake(done simply by plugging a vacuum line or two) would have you trail ready in a matter of minutes.

I'm looking at about $80 total for the build currently, and considering that the system pulls less than 20amps from the 12V system, and runs solely off of distilled water and 1/2 table spoon of baking soda, I would venture a guess to say that it is incredibly cost effective as a day-to-day addition to a daily driver. the system takes under 5 minutes to reach its maximum output, so anything longer than grabbing some quick groceries, or running to a friends house, the uses could serve to benefit almost every application.

I am about to move halfway across the country from NC, to CO and will be pulling a trailer. So, the 15 mpg I got last time with a trailer just simply will not do, especially as I attempt the drive across Kansas.
After reading this, I do have a couple recommendations. Instead of "plugging a line" to secure the system, have you thought about a ball valve, or any type of valve for that matter? It would make a more professional type install. Also, I think you should look into installing an RO Unit (Reverse Osmosis[Although I'm willing to bet you already knew that]) under your kitchen sink. It is MUCH more time efficient than distilling water, and certainly cheaper in the long run than buying distilled water, not to mention just being a cool addition to your home anyway.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
the new re-engineered electrolyzer I discovered will run perfectly with a tbsp of baking soda and strait tap water..... the iron content aids in the current transfer.
it is a pretty sweet little rig from some guy who hosts the plans for free out of Finland, believe.
Right now, I should be cooking out .5LPM which is low, and would result in marginal fuel economy improvement... maybe 30%. I could do a number of things; namely, perfecting the solution, or finding the space under the hood to add a second generator... routing vacuum lines through the cabin and into the engine bay is way to costly and I'm not going to commit cabin space for this project.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulhunterM42 View Post
After reading this, I do have a couple recommendations. Instead of "plugging a line" to secure the system, have you thought about a ball valve, or any type of valve for that matter? It would make a more professional type install. Also, I think you should look into installing an RO Unit (Reverse Osmosis[Although I'm willing to bet you already knew that]) under your kitchen sink. It is MUCH more time efficient than distilling water, and certainly cheaper in the long run than buying distilled water, not to mention just being a cool addition to your home anyway.
The "plugged line" will be into the intake just behind MAF and before the throttle body... that line is not direct from the generator itself, it will incorporate two safeties, one "sparkback valve" which simply is a one way overflow valve from an sprinkler system, and then a line-through bubbler. The bubbler is just a condenser trap that has a line to the bottom of a chamber with a couple of ounces of water, the HHO then flows through the water and bubbles to the top, when the bubbles pop the HHO is released, then the condensation is trapped in the rest of the water due to surface tension. These two work independently of each other with the two purposes to prevent combustion in the line/chamber, and the other to prevent catastrophic hydrolock of water entering the cylinders themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in