Has anyone else done this? Ball valve on engine, need info please. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 388, Level: 7 Points: 388, Level: 7 Points: 388, Level: 7
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Has anyone else done this? Ball valve on engine, need info please.

Hopefully, I got the pic to post? I added it in attached files. (Using an iPad.) I recently purchased this 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L. Today, I'm putting in new plugs, and tested the coils, so I took this pic. I have this ball valve attached from the previous owner. I get the idea, but wondered if someone with more knowledge can give me more info about it. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	26834  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 111000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT07 View Post
Hopefully, I got the pic to post? I added it in attached files. (Using an iPad.) I recently purchased this 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L. Today, I'm putting in new plugs, and tested the coils, so I took this pic. I have this ball valve attached from the previous owner. I get the idea, but wondered if someone with more knowledge can give me more info about it. Thank you
Interesting it's where the bleeder screw would be for your radiator coolant. Not sure what advantage it would give.
JT07 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, so 27 views, and not even a " what the heck is that? ", hehe! I'm trying to find more info online, lol. I'm assuming it was for a quick release of coolant pressure when pushing the engine to its limits while off-roading. Presumably when it overheated? I don't really know as I have no experience with that. I was hoping the previous owner might have even been on this forum, or at least someone with an idea or input good or bad, lol. Still have a P0080 fault code,(Exhaust valve control solenoid), and a B1388-Body fault. On the plus side, I changed the plugs out today, and the CEL is now off for now. 😊

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarX View Post
Interesting it's where the bleeder screw would be for your radiator coolant. Not sure what advantage it would give.
Thank you for the response! I think it's interesting too, I've never seen that before. I'm curious about it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Garage
That would be kind of handy every 5 years or 100,000 miles when you have to change out the coolant.

I just did that job today. I didn't find it that much trouble to just unscrew the plug and screw it back in when I was done.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, it has something to do with burping the system, but I've yet to figure out why he'd use it for just that. I thought maybe it had another purpose. It's all new to me, guess that's why I'm so curious about it. This Jeep is a 4.7L, with a 195 degree thermostat, and a 5.7L radiator in it. There must have been some sort of an overheating issue that sparked the enginuity. It's mine now, so I'm hoping to figure it out. Looks like I'm the only one sporting a ball valve on the bleeder, just wish I fully understood why, lol!The previous owner was a Jeep enthusiast, lots of off-reading I think. I guess he knows why he'd put it on there.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 111000
Quote:
Yeah, it has something to do with burping the system, but I've yet to figure out why he'd use it for just that. I thought maybe it had another purpose. It's all new to me, guess that's why I'm so curious about it. This Jeep is a 4.7L, with a 195 degree thermostat, and a 5.7L radiator in it. There must have been some sort of an overheating issue that sparked the enginuity. It's mine now, so I'm hoping to figure it out. Looks like I'm the only one sporting a ball valve on the bleeder, just wish I fully understood why, lol!The previous owner was a Jeep enthusiast, lots of off-reading I think. I guess he knows why he'd put it on there.
I don't see a point unless cooling is as constant battle for the prior owner. I'm battling a cooling issue due a removed clutch fan by a prior owner and nothing added to make up for the needed air difference to help with cooling. A bigger radiator is nice though. It sounds like the prior owner tried to improve the cooling system. Without knowing the work done exactly that would lead me to believe it could be causing the problem your having too. I wonder if the ball valve has a seal issue?
JT07 likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,685, Level: 95 Points: 24,685, Level: 95 Points: 24,685, Level: 95
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
I have a 2008 4.7L and in 2008 the 4.7L went through a few major changes which included a re-designed intake and the addition of a 2nd spark plug per cylinder - which account for the 70 HP in the 2008 version of the 4.7L.

Point being is that your engine looks quite a bit different then mine.

I'm just spit-balling here, but, the only thing that makes any kind of sense is that the previous owner added that valve to bleed off pressure and/or air for some reason.

What reason that is - I have no idea, I've never seen anything like that before on a Commander.

Too bad you couldn't find out who the previous owner was, so you could get the information straight from the horses mouth.
JT07 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-27-2017 at 11:12 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Garage
Quote:
Does the 4.7L fan shroud and electric fan bolt right on to the 5.7L radiator?

The stock cooling system is mostly adequate (if barely so) for the engine. The thicker core on the 5.7L radiator might be a decent upgrade, provided the electric fan and shroud work properly with it.

A 195F thermostat (90C) is standard for this engine. That's the right thermostat. If you put a cooler thermostat in it (or if the previous owner did), it's really important to fully adjust the "tune" to match the thermostat. If your "tuner" only says he/she is setting fan activation temps to match, they aren't fully adjusting. There's no power or economy to be gained from a lower thermostat temp on this engine, even if you fully tune for the lower temps.

Maybe the previous owner was a railroad buff? Maybe there was a whistle attached to that valve and a pull cord run into the drivers area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarX View Post
I don't see a point unless cooling is as constant battle for the prior owner. I'm battling a cooling issue due a removed clutch fan by a prior owner and nothing added to make up for the needed air difference to help with cooling. A bigger radiator is nice though. It sounds like the prior owner tried to improve the cooling system. Without knowing the work done exactly that would lead me to believe it could be causing the problem your having too. I wonder if the ball valve has a seal issue?
Are you sure yours left the factory with a mechanical fan and clutch? Most did not have that option. That was "heavy duty engine cooling" and was part of the "Trailer Tow Group" optional equipment.

To check, go to https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...etServlet?vin= and after it complains that no VIN was provided, click in the location bar on your browser and put your VIN after the "vin=" at the end of that URL. It will give you a PDF file of the "build sheet" for your Jeep.

If you don't see "Heavy Duty Engine Cooling" on the list for your Jeep, yours didn't get a mechanical fan and fan clutch.

My experience from the past week or so (more research in progress) is that the stock electric fan will adequately cool the 4.7L without the mechanical fan in most conditions. I am going to have my fans reprogrammed to activate at 207F-210F degrees. The stock settings seem to wait until 216F-217F, which IMO is cutting the margin a little thin. At 18PSI (new radiator cap), the coolant shouldn't boil until over 225F, probably over 230F if it's mixed between 50:50 and 65:35 for coolant:water.

With a weak pressure cap, it's certainly possible for the thing to boil off coolant at 215F to 217F before the electric fan cuts on.

On ours, even sitting still, with the new cap installed, but with old coolant, an old water pump, no mechanical fan, sitting still either engine idling, or engine running unloaded at 2000 to 2500 RPM's, the electric fan cut on by 217F, and within less than 60 seconds, the fan would cut off when the engine coolant temp dipped below about 194F.

On another forum, I had a report from a Dodge Ram truck owner who removed the mechanical fan and clutch on his 4.7L V8 Dodge Ram truck and even towed a trailer for long distances with it without the mechanical fan and clutch. He carried the fan and clutch around with him, especially when towing, but never needed to put it back on.

Also, if the ball valve has any issues sealing, you'd see coolant seeping out the top when you stop. I doubt that would be an issue, but it would be obvious if it was leaking around the ball, though perhaps less obvious if it's leaking from the pipe fittings below the ball valve, though.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 124000
The fact is releasing pressure on an already overheated or hot engine will result in immediate vaporization or boiling of the coolant and won't help anything cool down. The cooling system requires pressure to increase the boiling point of the liquid coolant and releasing it would be a big mistake. This must be for some type of burping or air bleed. I would be concerned that the ball valve and its seals would hold up to the heat it will be subjected to being installed on an engine.

Dan
JT07 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in