Jeep Commander Forum banner

Oil Pressure Gauge

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
I am kind of gauge nerd. I love them and the information they send to you. I have a 2007 jeep commander limited with a HEMI and I would like to either add a mechanical oil pressure gauge or a electric oil pressure gauge. I am wondering if anybody has done this and what kind and the location where you installed it the passenger compartment. If you did a mechanical gauge what parts did you use. I know how its should be done since I also have classic cars which I have done this but parts are available from the restoration companies. I know to T the sending unit but not sure how what to use. My local parts store kids have no idea how to do this or the parts needed if its not a replacement part in the computer they are lost. Any help would be great and if you have pictures would even be better along with part numbers or whatever info you can give would be much appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
@Hpgarage;

Judging by the lack of response, I'd say you may have to be the pioneer for this particular idea. I do know some guys use a smart phone app - I believe it's called the "Torque" App - where you can monitor things, such as engine temperature and oil pressure within the App, as opposed to adding an external gauge.

It's just a matter of personal preference I guess.

#4 ·
When I replaced my 5.7, I had to swap all the sensors to the new engine. The oil pressure sensor is on the oil filter adapter and would be a simple place to tee off for an aftermarket either electric or mechanical gauge. The Trail Dash II gives an accurate pressure reading off the factory sensor which is what I use. My sensor went out and it was interesting to watch the factory gauge look fat dumb and happy while the pressure was reading less than 10 psi on the Trail Dash display. You won’t get the idiot light and alert until the pressure hits zero according to the service manual and I can attest that is true. In my case it was the sensor that was failing not actually low pressure. I guess that would be a good rationale for having the tee and second sensor or mechanical gauge as redundancy. The fitting size is the standard sensor threads that an electrical or mechanical gauge uses. 1/8 NPT I believe?
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
When I replaced my 5.7, I had to swap all the sensors to the new engine. The oil pressure sensor is on the oil filter adapter and would be a simple place to tee off for an aftermarket either electric or mechanical gauge. The Trail Dash II gives an accurate pressure reading off the factory sensor which is what I use. My sensor went out and it was interesting to watch the factory gauge look fat dumb and happy while the pressure was reading less than 10 psi on the Trail Dash display. You won’t get the idiot light and alert until the pressure hits zero according to the service manual and I can attest that is true. In my case it was the sensor that was failing not actually low pressure. I guess that would be a good rationale for having the tee and second sensor or mechanical gauge as redundancy. The fitting size is the standard sensor threads that an electrical or mechanical gauge uses. 1/8 NPT I believe?
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey @Sevenjays:

Is the Trail Dash II made by Superchips? Just testing my memory here....

EDIT: Nevermind @Sevenjays, I went digging and found the thread where I heard it mentioned before and it is exactly what I thought it was;

https://superchips.com/shop/traildash2-for-jeep-34

I guess my memory is still pretty good since that was from almost 2 years ago;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...ods/30697-tuner-programmer-suggestions-5.html

#6 ·
Yup. Superchips. Main reason I got it was to reprogram for 87 octane. Works great. Also was able to adjust tire size. Another cool feature is the alarms for your gauges. Can set it to alert for coolant temp too high etc. There are also Maintenance reminders you can set. And of course the electronic switches if you buy the $120 per 2 switch modules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Yup. Superchips. Main reason I got it was to reprogram for 87 octane. Works great. Also was able to adjust tire size. Another cool feature is the alarms for your gauges. Can set it to alert for coolant temp too high etc. There are also Maintenance reminders you can set. And of course the electronic switches if you buy the $120 per 2 switch modules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does look pretty nice; I have the Superchips F5 Flashpaq; If I didn't have a brand new Garmin GPS already mounted on the dash, I'd probably pick one up; Maybe I could mount it on the windshield......that would be a nice Christmas present for myself.....:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.