Rubicrawler for a Commander???? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Performance Modifications If you plan to modify your Jeep Commander, tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rubicrawler for a Commander????

I have been struggling with my decision to get the 3.7L Commander with the QT I Transfer case. I've seen some threads regarding this and it sounds like a big hassle to convert it to a QT II. So after searching around a bit I found Advanced Adapter has an adapter system for Wrangler type jeeps (http://www.rubicrawler.com/). If I understand it fit's between the transfer case and the transmission(somehow).

Why not for the Commander as well? When disengaged you get the 1:1 ratio that is stock with it and then 2.72:1 when engaged.

If you look at the 3.7L's powertrain below you may notice the silver 'adapter' between the transmission and the transfercase. What if this new adapter took that pieces place? Am I way off here? I just sent a note to advanced adapters inquiring about this. Maybe we could all band together and make a request.

Gabe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Points: 15,918, Level: 81 Points: 15,918, Level: 81 Points: 15,918, Level: 81
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

you will have to redo drive shafts. expensive.

get under the jeep and see what kind of transfer case you have. it will be on the drivers side of the jeep. it will say either new venture or new process, i can't remember which one now. it is a round piece of aluminum stuck on the transfer case.

i'm pretty sure that all the transfer cases use the same bolt pattern to mate up to the transmissions. i'm just not sure if the out put shafts and spline count is the same between each one.

i've been pretty happy with my set-up. i just want some lower gears in my axles.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Chaos, if i understand what you are saying then I think what you want to do is run a doubler setup. Basically replace the silver "adapter" piece at the rear of the trans with another t-case/gearbox. This is a good idea but I think that silver piece is the tail housing of the transmission and not an adapter.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HILLBILLY DELUXE

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
This product does not require drive shaft modification .. you have it right, the stock Jeep uses a empty adapter and this product uses that empty space.

The bad news is it's not likley it will fit the Commander the site says it's spicificly for TJ's a JK's with the 424LE 4 Speed tranny ... and the Commander (XK) in V6 uses a W5A580 5 speed.

Lastly I don't think that product is even avalable yet .. they are still testing it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
This product does not require drive shaft modification .. you have it right, the stock Jeep uses a empty adapter and this product uses that empty space.

The bad news is it's not likley it will fit the Commander the site says it's spicificly for TJ's a JK's with the 424LE 4 Speed tranny ... and the Commander (XK) in V6 uses a W5A580 5 speed.

Lastly I don't think that product is even avalable yet .. they are still testing it.
You are absolutley correct it's not available yet and it's not for the Commander. I say we petition them so they see the need to have such a product.

Gabe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Points: 6,541, Level: 52 Points: 6,541, Level: 52 Points: 6,541, Level: 52

When I was originally looking at Commanders in early 2007 I ran across a couple 2006 3.7L models with QT2 transfer cases. I have the 2006 & 2007 Jeep brochures, and as I recall the QT2 transfer case was an option for the 3.7L engine in 2006 & 2007, so there should still be those transfer cases out there as replacement parts.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in