Planning trip out west this summer - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Planning trip out west this summer

My family is going to take a couple weeks off this summer to point the XK in a westerly direction since I've never been places like the grand canyon, Yellowstone, the badlands, etc. and I want my kids to experience these things as well before they turn into evil teenagers.

Because I've only ever flown in to Phoenix and San Diego (aside from driving a U-Haul to move a buddy to Phoenix around 20 years ago) I have no idea where to start. I know we've got more than a couple members out that way so I thought I'd look for some input as far as what we should see. I think we'll be doing more camping than motelling (if that's actually a word) and we'd be driving from Detroit and back, so I was thinking we'd take one track on the way out and another on the way back.

We'd be looking at two weeks, but may try to make it three and it would have to be in the June-July time-frame. I appreciate your input!!

2006 Jeep Commander Sport 4.7 4x4 QT-II
Wrangler DuraTrac 265/70R17s - 2" Rough Country Lift - 1.5" Spidertrax spacers - Get Lost 4x4 Front Bumper - Heavy Duty MOPAR Receiver - WeatherTech Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Points: 3,746, Level: 38 Points: 3,746, Level: 38 Points: 3,746, Level: 38
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

Don't miss Moab, Zion and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...rent a camping trailer. It will carry your gear and is handy for those unplanned needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 Black/5.7 Hemi/FlashpqSuperchip/K&Nfilter/ RR2.25lift/RRsliders/GoodyearDuraTrac265X70/Procmp XtrmAlloy17"X9"Blk whls/ DVD/Nav/Skid Plates/GrpIVTow/Weathertech Mats/RubrAntena/Coverking Blk Balistic Seatcovers-all/JKS Qck Rls/MatrixHC w/frnt rcvr kit & D ring/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Consider running your trip around camp Commander WC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post
Consider running your trip around camp Commander WC.
If the dates work, I'd love to get there. In fact, it was reading the accounts of Commander WC that made me realize I've never had a vacation out west and initiated the discussion with the wife. I think the dates will be driven by our work responsibilities (and the kids' summer vacation) but we're leaning toward July.

Wrangler DuraTrac 265/70R17s - 2" Rough Country Lift - 1.5" Spidertrax spacers - Get Lost 4x4 Front Bumper - Heavy Duty MOPAR Receiver - WeatherTech Mats
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

My suggestion (having been there/done that):

From Detroit take 90 west - it will take you to the Badlands/Mt. Rushmore and then further on to Yellowstone. If you're adventurous, get a county-level map of the Black Hills area and stay off the "highways". Head south after Yellowstone down through Grand Tetons and then continue south into Colorado or Utah, meet up with the WC Camp Commander, then come back either 80 or 70 (not much of anything along either of those interstates, but 70 was worse in my opinion). This is a good loop for a two week trip. Two years ago I did the Badlands/Yellowstone and back to Madison WI in 10 days/3000 miles.

Brendon

07 Limited, Hemi, factory skid plates (dented and scratched
), 4XGuard rock rails, OME HD springs and shocks, Spidertrax, Goodyear Dura Trac 245/70-17
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Brendon - very helpful, thanks!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

if you're going as far as the badlands you could go to south dakota and do all the touristy stuff there (i'm from there) like mt. rushmore, crazy horse, see the black hills.. and it's a lot better climate during the summer than phoenix is. the black hills are beautiful, there are lots of "hole in the wall" places like boondocks http://www.fiftiesfun.com/ and places in keystone (on the way to mt. rushmore) that are fun too. there isn't a whole lot to see in wyoming if you hit up the SD badlands. if you go through arizona, visit sedona, it's beautiful! of course the grand canyon if you're up that way.. the scenery is fun to watch as it changes from desert to mountain/forest to the grand canyon.

06 5.7L Limited Jeep Commander - Racetruck - Forged 6.4L

2012 Cadillac CTS-V - Opulent Blue - Manual, Recaros... all the options.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Saturate.. SD is definitely on the list.

We've been to Sedona ( had some work in Phoenix and took the wife) and my wife wants to go back sometime. Gonna see how the trip goes and maybe do some camping around there on the way out or back..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Forum > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in