Seat Belt Laws - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

View Poll Results: Should seat belts be required by law?
No one should be required by law to wear a seat belt. 1 3.23%
Only children should be required to were a seat belt. 6 19.35%
Everyone should be required by law to wear a seat belt. 24 77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Seat Belt Laws

Do you agree with seat belt laws mandating all occupants of a
motor vehicle where a belt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I do agree with the law for anyone 18 or younger riding in the car. I do wear mine and always will and I do think its a good law but I can see the argument that people should have the right to choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
While I initally disagreed with the law, the older I get, the more I agree with
it. Though I oppose state mandating wearing belts, I always (99.999%) wear
one. It just makes sense.....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Well it depends how driving is interpreted. Because its something you technically do not have to do its viewed as a privilege. Which in todays situation and layout that is up for debate as well. But since its a choice and not need covered by the constitution I agree with the law. If it was a need or something the government was forcing every american to do or purchase (health care) then I would completely disagree with the law.

Stop by and like the page

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

I agree with seat belt laws for the most part. I understand how some people don't want the government telling them what they should do all the time also. But in this case , its for their own good. How many times have there been an accident where someone was ejected and killed because they weren't wearing their seat belt ? There is no guarantee that the person would have survived if they had been wearing the seat belt but how often does someone get ejected from the vehicle when they were wearing their seat belt ? The news stories about fatal accidents almost always end with, " they were not wearing their seat belt. " What has been on my mind lately is the fact that school buses dont have seat belts. I know the difficulty in getting the students to wear them but I think if the parents have them wear them all the time than it will be more of a habit when they get on the bus to just buckle up. My daughter gets in and automatically buckles up without even being told. i believe this would carry over to the bus. We just had a bus that had to brake hard to avoid another vehicle. The bus didnt hit anything but 17 elementary students were taken to the hospital for bumps and bruises, nothing turned out to be serious. Seat belts would have prevented this, I believe.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 57200
I once came upon an accident where a mother and boy (age 10+-) were involved. The car was an older Ford Tempo. These cars had a latch that would release the passive restraint belt that traveled up the A pilar and over the shoulder.

Both belts were disconnected. The mother was ejected and DOA. The boy had gone in and out of having a pulse with the aid of an off-duty EMT.

I was a distance from home and do not know if the boy survived. At the time, I believed that if an ADULT did not wear a belt, it was their problem. After thinking about the recklessness of disconnecting a childs belt, I started to think that no matter whether the boy survived or not, he could be an orphan.

Belts save lives. Those lives are not always those of the person who did not wear the belt. The life saved could be anyone who cares about you.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

wear your dag nabbit seat belt. the law is there because alot of people are not... intelligent enough, to do it on their own accord.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSublime View Post
wear your dag nabbit seat belt. the law is there because alot of people are not... intelligent enough, to do it on their own accord.
And what's wrong with that? If a competent adult decides not to wear their seat belt why should the government MAKE them under penalty of a fine? Oh yeah, MONEY GRAB.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Well, since you asked....
I like to interject a second law as food for thought....

Mandatory helmet use on motorcycles.
My state does not have one....we motorcyclists succesfully overthrew the law about 20 years ago.

Bottom line: laws are made to protect people from other people, not protect people from themselves.
BTW I am religious with helmet use.....but I'm not going to shove my opinion down anyones throat....
Ok, with that in mind.....mandatory seat belt use.

I believe in it......heres why.
Often, immediatly after a collision, the involved vehicles are still rolling.
If the driver has been displaced and is no longer at the controls, that rolling vehicle may come to hit....me.
A mandatory belt law, being obeyed, will possibly keep that driver in some degree of control, or at least at the controls......in so doing, the law is protecting me from someone else.

We can talk about expenses affecting everyone and yadi yadi yadi....but as long as the law is created specifically to protect me from someone else....well....draw your own conclusions.
I also am a religious belt wearer, but this is more a result of many years of racing.....lots easier to drive from the drivers position so I kinda like to stay there.
Rob
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I voted YES.

Here's my food for thought:

A) Seatbelts save lives. Period. Dot. IMO, you're not the brightest tool in the shed () if you don't wear one.

B) States need revenue. If there weren't some "easy cash" laws in effect, all of our taxes would have to be higher or we'd be paying some other way. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.... get some revenue into the state budget while fining idiots who think they're invincible and don't need to wear seat belts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in