Buying a Vehicle on eBay - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,529, Level: 42 Points: 4,529, Level: 42 Points: 4,529, Level: 42
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Buying a Vehicle on eBay

How safe is it to buy a vehicle on ebay? I am skeptical on this purchase. I found this guy who is selling a 01 TJ 4.6L Stroker with 80,000 miles on it and many upgrades. At first I found it on craigslist and I have been e mailing him for a while now with all my questions and get a response back every time. He wants to set it up on eBay and do the transaction there. He wants $2970.00 for it. He is paying for shipping and all that stuff; he is in Regina, Canada. Itís a 31 hour drive from my house. Is this a scam or is e bay that trustworthy with their refunds?? Iím just looking for some input on this since I haven't made a purchase like this on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
There is a price protection program but you should research it, PayPal is safer for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

You definitely need to be careful. Does he already have an e-bay account? How is his feedback? Have you talked to him on the phone and gotten his real name and address? Do you know anyone in that area who can inspect the Jeep and talk to the seller?

I bought my Commander on ebay but it was a used car dealer close enough to me that I could drive there and look at it and talk to the dealer.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
Look for his feedack on Ebay. Ebay also has some buyer protections in place. Scour those details.

I would NEVER buy an out-of-town car on Craigslist.

Maybe you could have a forum member who lives near Regina go take a look at the actual car and match the VIN.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,529, Level: 42 Points: 4,529, Level: 42 Points: 4,529, Level: 42
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Heven't talked to him on the phone, I have his name and address. Usually when it is to good to be true....it is.. I am still waiting on a response from him with a phone number. I am looking into everything I can to make sure this isn't a scam. I really want this TJ. I just don't get why the price is so low, i looked into KBB and the BB value is almost $10,000
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Patrick,

Send me a PM with a contact number. I have a TJ sitting in a shop near you waiting to be shipped out to Phoenix. Maybe I can give you a deal.

I think that there are several fellows on this forum that know me personally and can tell you that I am honest and do not scam anyone.

I bought this TJ new and ordered both the soft top and a hard top with a removable front overhead section. I added a tube front bumper and a winch. I also had a rubicon rack with two blitz gas cans added to the rear. It has oversized tires and quick disconnects on the front sway bars and an aftermarket stereo system with the sound bar on the center roof roll bar and it has side nerf bars. It also has diamond plate rear corners and a CB radio

The hard top also has a light bar with several types of flashing lights similar to a tow truck light bar.

A few years ago a friend of mine was having money problems so I gave him this Jeep and paid the insurance and registration for a couple of years to help him out. I just got it back yesterday and it is at a shop of a friend being checked out and detailed. I have not seen it but I kept it detailed and it looked new when I gave it to him.

Here is a picture of the TJ.

It has the 4.0L six cylinder, automatic transmission, soft and hard tops, new brakes, 110,000 miles, it had 70,000 when I gave it to him a couple of years ago. At that time I had a Jeep dealer go thru it and he changed the timing belt to be safe and replaced all the tires. It is a 97 model and I kept it in storage at the family compound in California for several years while I traveled. I would take turns either pulling the Mustang convertable on a trailer behind the motor home or towing the Jeep TJ. I have had no problems with it. I tried to give it to my grown sons earlier, but they parked it in the garage. They said it looked too much like a police car and their friends kidded them about it. I love my sons but they are not typical kids, they are computer nerds.

It is located near Washington DC. A friend of mine went back to take care of getting it checked out in a shop and to get it detailed for sale. He may have even sold it today because I told him he could. My aunt is paying for the wedding of her grandaughter this month and I am going to sell the Jeep and send her the money to pay for the wedding, otherwise I would just keep the TJ. However, I do have too many vehicles as it is for being on the road. I usually have to store one or more at a time.

I looked up the Kelly blue book with the options that it has.

Trade in value..............$6.400

Private Party sale..........$7,765

Retail..........................$9,240

I am only looking to send my Aunt $5,000 but there will be expenses for the shop, detailing, and a commission for my friend that is doing this for me.

If you are interested PM me and we will see if it is not sold yet, The owner of the shop was drooling over it and it may be gone.

edit: I forgot the most important thing....It has a gold miner hood ornament just like my Commander.

2007Jeep Green Limited
4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 02-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Definitely if it seems to good to be true, you are right to be suspicious. (Unless it is a deal from someone like Huey).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Points: 3,946, Level: 39 Points: 3,946, Level: 39 Points: 3,946, Level: 39
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I can almost guarantee you its a scam. If you can buy a car for less than half of what it's worth, who wouldn't be skeptical? No phone conversation would be a big flag to me as well.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Craigslist seems to be the central hub of scams these days, just beware!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi lover View Post
I can almost guarantee you its a scam. If you can buy a car for less than half of what it's worth, who wouldn't be skeptical? No phone conversation would be a big flag to me as well.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Craigslist seems to be the central hub of scams these days, just beware!
I've bought some small items from Craigslist but a few weeks ago I was shopping for a horse trailer and we found a GREAT deal on Craigslist and it was an ad in a town near us.... BUT the trailer was at a military base out west and he was going to get it shipped to us for free by the military. Then the ad disappeared and I saw in show up again in a different Michigan town. I asked him to email or fax me a copy of the title and he got angry and said if I could n't trust him, why don't I send him a copy of my driver license and check numbers.......... all this thru email..... scammer.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Make a deal with Huey if it isn't sold already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in